main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Synchronicity

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by General Kenobi , Jul 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I'd wager this thread needs to be kept the topic of Star Wars, as this is Star Wars Music...

2. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    I'll take that wager!

no, but seriously, I wanted to post about a strong lack of synchronicity. Listening to TPM:UE, what is up with the street singer cue? It is very interesting, but I had never heard it until I got the CD. Even in watching the movie in the Qui-Gon/Watto scene that it is in, you can barely hear it. Do we think that Ben was ashamed of it, and thus kept it very low in the mix?

3. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    No it's supposed to be source music. I think it got pushed back by George as he has final say in the sound mix...

4. CopernicusDent

CopernicusDent Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2001
    "Do we think that Ben was ashamed of it, and thus kept it very low in the mix?"

Who knows?

What I?ve heard on the audio commentary, Ben actually gave Williams suggestions for certain cues so it wouldn?t clash with his sound effects.
    That?s the reason, I believe, the electric guitars were taken out, because it jars with Zam?s speeder effect, because the speeder sound effect was created with an electric guitar.

I guess the score mix will always take a back set to the sound effect.

I was watching a section of Clones the other day, and I had to adapt my ears until I could hear the score audibly. After that, I was OK.

5. george_starwars

george_starwars Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2002
    As a rule, all of the OT, and most of AOTC are very well done music wise. The music was brilliant in TPM, but which version to you believe? The movie, or the CD? Even then, they are both severely edited.

6. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I'd have to go with the music as Vader turns back to the light side. I haven't listened to my ROTJ SE soundtrack in a while, so I can't recall the track name. The 8th track, I think.

7. TenorAprentice

Jul 19, 2002
    How about when the music re-enters during the podrace? I love the way that you almost forget that there is no music, and when you get that entrance, my heart stearts to race. I think that it works extremely well to build the tension of the moment to new levels, and is effective not only due to its composition, but the prior silence as well.

8. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    "City in the Clouds" from ESB always demonstrates this technique perfectly to me. The low, foreboeding music when Luke sees the vision of his friends flows right into the Falcon flying into the most beautiful environment. The choral music that accompanies this part still gives me chills even though I've heard it a thousand times.

9. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "No it's supposed to be source music."

Yah, in response to Tenor's comments about the "Street Singer" track, it's supposed to be source music, like stri said.
    Not only that, but it sounds like it has been altered by Ben Burrt to sound as if it's coming through loudspeakers or a PA system. A way-cool touch, IMO. :)

10. TenorAprentice

Jul 19, 2002
    yeah, but you can barely hear it! I would have never even known it existed if it wasn't for the UE

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Vaderbait that is The Emperor's Death.

12. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Even the title reeks of synchronicity :D

13. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    The title of what? ?[face_plain]

Anyhoo, another brief moment I noticed is when you see Mace's boots walking towards the Arena.

:)

14. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    "The Emperor's Death" because the Emperor dies there [EU]for the first time[/EU] :p

Synchronicity? How about most of Battle of Endor? Or Hoth, too.
    (They've been said already, haven't they?)

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Anyhoo, another brief moment I noticed is when you see Mace's boots walking towards the Arena.

Actually I thought the flow of music through there was terrible. Very disjointed with no flow. And the music for Mace's boot shot was not dramatic enough for me.

16. CopernicusDent

Dec 4, 2001
    "Actually I thought the flow of music through there was terrible. Very disjointed with no flow. And the music for Mace's boot shot was not dramatic enough for me."

Hahaha, wasn?t that from an Episode I computer game?

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    God I dunno where it was from but whatever it is, it's NOT Synchonicity... it's the exact opposite.

18. TenorAprentice

Jul 19, 2002
    yeah, it is from TPM computer game... it is a 6 second clip from the file called sqdanger1.imc

and yes, I know that i am sad...

19. CopernicusDent

Dec 4, 2001
    God I dunno where it was from but whatever it is, it's NOT Synchonicity... it's the exact opposite.

Hahaha...yeah.

20. TenorAprentice

Jul 19, 2002
    a little off topic, but as far as synchronicity....

I was watching Raiders, and at the beginning of the fight scene with the huge german at the plane... it is neat but williams times the first two orchestral accents with Indy swinging his arm as he punches.

21. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Exactly!

I'm trying to recall if there's score when Indy takes out his pistol and shoots the sword-spinning guy, one of my favorite scenes...

It's been a while since I've watched ROTLA. It's due out on dvd this year, right? :D

22. TenorAprentice

Jul 19, 2002
    nothing listed yet for a release....
    I wonder if they are going to wait to either be a pre-curser for the new one, or wait until the new one is released to release them all...

it would be nice to have it sooner rather...
    it looks like SS is slowly doing all of his... with ET, and the release of the back to the future box set this christmas, etc. I could see the Indy movies being the box set for next christmas, just in time to get people juiced for the new movie 2004 (if they decided to push it up...)

23. Na Wibo

Na Wibo Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2000
    You're right, Gen. Kenobi. There's a nice little pizzicato note when Indy shoots the swordsman.

24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Another Indy moment of synchronicity is in Last Crusade when he is fighting on the boat about to be chopped up by the boat screw. The first several punches are all right in time with the music. Also earlier, a moment where Indy slides across a boat to jump in, there is a piccolo sound that was so well timed that I always thought it was a sound effect til I got the score on CD...

25. General Kenobi

Dec 31, 1998
    Yeah, stri, I remember that. IJ&TLC was on TNT or some such cable channel recently, and I caught the end of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.