main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NSW Syrix's Console Thread

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Syrix_Kahl, Jun 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    Shigeru Miyamoto is a living genius!

I just picked up a Gamecube today (technically yesterday) and Rogue Leader. Unfortunately, it'll be a while before I get another game, but I'm happy with what I've got.

There is no denying Nintendo's absolute mastery. Mr. Miyamoto has lived up to, IMO, his word when he said that the Gamecube was a console for gamers. (That sounds kinda, obvious, but I'm paraphrasing, and it makes sense to me, so there...)

It's small, I mean, I knew it was small and I'd seen them up close before... but pulling it out of the box I was just like, "Oh.. yeah, that's it..."
    Massive games and tiny discs. Seriously folks, I knew there were 'special' Nintendo discs that couldn't (yet) be copied, but oh man, the game discs are seriously small. They're about half the diameter of a normal CD. Like... wow! (Now I understand why the thing doesn't play DVD's).
    I feel like I'm in a dream.

And Rogue Leader. What a game. If you've played (and beaten) the demo in stores, then be prepared for a game that is much much harder than you first expected. I'm up to the ninth or tenth level (I think) and I've only managed to scrape together 4 bronze medals. The graphics are awesome. It also looks like they composited a bit of footage from ANH in the end video for the Death Star Trench Run.

Some of you may have heard that the guys working on the game were told to dumb down the graphics as the original product looked better than the movies. I don't know how true this rumour is, but I can certainly imagine it being true.

And good news for all you Star Wars fans out there. Not only will the 'Cube have Rogue Leader, but also Jedi Knight 2, Bounty Hunter and the official AOTC game. :D

I remember thinking how "portable" the PS2 is.. how easy it is to take the game disc and a memory card and play the game on any console you wished. (Of course, this is no different to taking a cartridge with you and playing that game on any console, but that thought didn't enter my head 'til later...) The gamecube *is* portability. The console, as previously stated, is small and lightweight. The discs are tiny, even the memory cards are miniscule! And for those not in the know, Nintendo have released (though not yet over here) a wireless gamepad. But those clever Japanese haven't opted to go with infrared, but instead they have used radiowaves. There's a big review at www.ign.com, where it got a fantastic write-up. Apparently the thing comes with a recommended 20-metre (yard??) range, but the guys managed to use it up to 90 metres(yards) with no loss of control. And it comes with 16 frequencies, so you can have massive multiplayer games (it's apparently good to keep the controllers set with at least one frequency between them, so as to avoid any slight overlap or crossing of frequencies).

*Sigh*, Gamecube is bliss.

Alright. I know I've made at least one other topic about consoles/console games, so I figured, why not just make an all purpose one?

Anyway, I know 88 has a Cube. Anyone else? And I know 88 has an X-Box (nobody's perfect) - how do they compare? Which console do you love the most?

So, come, discuss all things in the great world of consoles. (And pay respect to Shigsy.)

2. IG_88a

IG_88a Jedi Padawan star 4

May 15, 2002
    Syrix, too tell the truth, i prefer my PS2 over gamecube and xbox.
    But only cos i have heaps more games and can play multi region dvd's on my ps2

Apart from that, I love all my consoles. Rogue Squadron 2 on cube is so beautiful on a big screen tv. I've seen spiderman on ps2 xbox and cube, and even though the box has more processor power, spiderman on cube looks the best.

I'm stuck on hard difficulty on the 2nd death star run, bloody lando can't fly to save his life. The Star Destroyers look so impressive, but fall so easily.

Syrix, check out the casing on your cube, examine the top of the machine, specifically around the corners and buttons, can you see the hairline fractures in the moulded case?
    Worried? don't be, Nintendo have said it was an unfortunate side effect of using the manufacturing method they used. Nintendo said they could of recalled the machines and changed the casing strength, but that would of pushed the price up of the machine by atleast $150.00.

Personally i don't care about the hairline fracture, cos the machine is such a masterpiece.

I love all my consoles, and am in the process of building a 5 to 1 RF switch box so i don't have to keep unplugging my machines.

3. Syrix_Kahl

Mar 25, 2001
    Heh heh, sounds like a good idea.

I read an article about the hairline fractures, but they must be too small for my eyesight to pick up. I'm yet to see them on any machine I've checked.

Although the report did say that even if you drop your cube on the spots you would have to do enough damage to actully break the insides before you did damage to the casing.

PS2 does have a wider selection and I was torn between getting myself the GC or picking up a few PS2 games. Luckily I chose the fomer, as I found out about 15 minutes later that MGS2 (one on my list) is a 10-12 hour game...

As for Rogue Leader, I'm actually up to the bespin level (which is level 8) - But I did manage to pick up a silver on the 1st DS level earlier this morning. :D

4. IG_88a

May 15, 2002
    Silver, is that all? i have gold on the first 4 or 5 levels, i can't seem to complete all the training missions on tatooine though.

5. The_Scream_Man

The_Scream_Man Jedi Knight star 5

May 1, 2000
    Can i ask u guys a favour?

Can I borrow Someones PS2, and a controller, and a Mem Card and if anyone has it the Spidey movie game? I played it at D's recently, and REALLY want to play it some more.

i cant lend u much in return, but I have a couple of anime DVDs, and alot of videos.

ANyone, please????

6. ROE_Biggs

ROE_Biggs Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    *runs in yells abuse and leaves*

GC has the best lineup of games for the rest of this year and the start of next :)

they are releasing some top titles on it.

7. slaveone_2

slaveone_2 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 1, 2001
    Neverwinter Nights.

*Drools*

8. ROE_Biggs

Mar 29, 2002
    1st of july pudd

9. The_Scream_Man

May 1, 2000
    Anyone?

please?

10. Shadowfire

Shadowfire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 1998
    If I get NWN Slavey, lets kill stuff together :)

11. ROE_Biggs

Mar 29, 2002
    one title
    WarCraft 3 !! get it or dont
    it is awesome, i speak from experience.

12. slaveone_2

Jul 1, 2001
    Ill have to get it and not open it until the 16 of November :p

13. Shadowfire

Shadowfire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 1998
    Yeah, good point Slavey.

14. slaveone_2

Jul 1, 2001
    lol, my brother and were deciding what game to get this afternoon, because were splitting it $50 each, W3 or Neverwinter. He wants W3 but I want NWN.

W3 is okay I guess, but I think NWN has more gameplay value

15. Kehleyr

Kehleyr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    NWN *mmmm*

16. The_Scream_Man

May 1, 2000
    Theres not really anything i want on PC right now...well, I wouldnt mind Outkast, but ive played it so i aint desperate

I need a new vid card

17. Kehleyr

Kehleyr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    geforce 4 *mmmm*

18. ROE_Biggs

Mar 29, 2002
    wel back to CONSOLES :)

try out super monkey ball on GC

it is the hardest game ever made.

19. JimmyK

JimmyK Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2002
    Scream I will lend you the game but I can't say anything about my ps2 becaseu my brother and I share it. SOrry

20. The_Scream_Man

May 1, 2000
    Thats ok Jimmy, If u can lend me the game (maybe bring it Friday) maybe i can talk someone like say......Syrix, who just got a gamecube, to lend me HIS PS2 for a week.

please Matt ol pal?

21. IG_88a

May 15, 2002
    Craig i'd love to lend you my machine, but i've only got it back off my mate last week and i don't have spidey on ps2.
    Spidey on GC looks soooo much better than on xbox and ps2. BTW craig, you don't need to borrow a ps2 controller, just use your existing psx analog controller, it works with the ps2.
    Spiderman: The movie is the best spidey game i have ever played.
    Jimmy i'm stuck on FF10 in one of summoner test places, after guadosalam.

22. mauls-menace

mauls-menace Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Hehe I just placed an order for a PS2 console this week, can't wait to get it. I've already got 2 games Jedi Starfighter and Medal of Honor: Frontline. Dying to get a copy of Grand Theft Auto III too.

23. Syrix_Kahl

Mar 25, 2001
    Craig: Sure thing, I'll bring it with me on friday.

M-M: I wouldn't recommend it. It's fun at first, but after a while it gets tedious and boring(IMO).

24. ROE_Biggs

Mar 29, 2002
    NWN is 3rd July now

25. Episode1WasntAnyGood

Episode1WasntAnyGood Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 27, 2001
    Nintendo sold out after the NES!! Well actually no I don't believe that but I haven't enjoyed a new console since everything went polygon. I swear, wandering around some dumb world ala Banjo Kazooie just aint fun for me. Polygons work for racing/flying games, but thats it. Platformers and beatemups forever I say!
    With the release of the 64 bit systems, videogames went from games (in the purest sense) to simulations in my opinion... which being a classic gamer, I feel is a shame.
    Now the NeoGeo! There was a system that took technological advances on without chucking away gaming history just because we can now render a cube!
    The greatest console of all time has to be the Atari 2600.. it was on the market for 12 years and is still the biggest seller of all time. And it has the only game I've played so fast and intense that you can't blink. CAN'T LITERALLY BLINK! OR YOU DIE! IT HURTS! Hehe and thats 25yrs old...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.