main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

T.O. Fined $35,000

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by PRENNTACULAR, Dec 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Si.com

I was listening to the guys on ESPN radio, and they said he should have been suspended, not fined.

What should the punishment have been?

2. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    It's being appealed.

I'm by no means any sort of T.O. apologist, but it seems a pretty excessive fine, considering a player got fined half that last year, for the same offense, and they caught him on film doing it.

It definitely should not have been a suspension.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Suspension would be too much, to me.

I think a large fine is ok in this case. It's not like this is TO's first offense. This is a guy who's gotten into trouble repeatedly.

4. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    But fines escalate if the problem does.

That happens all the time...one player gets fined less because it is the first time it is done, next, the punishment is more severe.

Next time a player does it, he's likely to get fined 50k.

5. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    What's the last thing that T.O. has been fined for though? Public opinion, does not count as previous offenses.

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Suspension without pay count?

7. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    No, because that was an in-house decision by the Beagle's organization(I'm pretty sure it was suspension w/pay, btw). It had nothing to do with the league, neither did the piddly fines he got by the Eagles, for things like parking in the wrong parking space(Oh noes!!!).

8. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    But he's an ***.

That means I hate him. :p

9. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    I'm not saying I like him(I really don't), I'm just saying that it seems like this might have been a case of cracking down on a player because of who he is, on top of what he's done.

10. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    What's T.O.'s story this time? First he admits to spitting, then he says that some spit must have collected in his mouth guard and accidentally got sprayed; what's next? He's going to claim it was raining and Hall thought a drop of rain was spit? (Yea, I'm aware they were playing in a dome, but it's just the story T.O would use anyway).

Keep the fine the way it is. I don't see any grounds for an appeal based on the inconsistency that I've witnessed the last few days.

11. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Everyone says he flat out admitted that he hawked a loogie in Hall's face. He never said,"Yeah, I did it, so what?". Someone said that Hall had accused him of it, and he says I apologize, he was all up in my face".

Now, I'm not saying he didn't do it, I'm just saying it's at least a fairly believable secenrio that they were trash talking and some spittle came out as they were in each other's face. Being that there is no film of the offense, it's basically a he said/he said situation.

Hall isn't exactly an angel himself, I have a hard time believing that an established thug, would for one second let another player(especially one like T.O.) flat out spit in his face, and then walk away. You know damn well it's suspect that he didn't throw T.O.'s ass down and start pounding on him, if T.O. had actually purposely spit in his face.

I like how Hall waited until after the game, andafter the Cowboys pretty much ruined their chances of going to the postseason, to say anything.

And then to demand a suspension, especially when there is no precedence, in a case like this?

Jealous much, D'angelo?

12. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    I think Gooddell wants to lay the hammer down his first year: he's already levied some big punishments, including a somewhat surprising five-game suspension for Haynesworth (many thought he would get four).

Jealous much, D'angelo?

Take off the tinfoil Cowboys helmet, Juli. :p

13. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Yeah, I get that. If he did it on purpose, he deserves it.

14. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    If you didn't intentionally spit in someone's face, yet you heard them accuse you of it, what would your reaction be? If you know you didn't do it intentionally, you're reaction would not be, "I'm sorry. Now I just need to move on". That's an admission right there. If T.O. was innocent he would've been, "Wha? Huh? No, I never did anything like that. Not intentionally"

D'angelo's a jerk. I know. But T.O. screwed himself with all his stories. It wasn't until a day had passed that T.O. decided to change his story. I might be able to give him the benefit of the doubt if this was the first time, but T.O. always makes excuses for himself. That's T.O.'s M.O. (See what I did there). It's always someone else's fault but his.

15. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Actually, this may have escaped your attention, but T.O. 's not a very bright guy. He's screwed himself over by not even considering what he was saying, in the past. All I'm saying is that it's a possibility. I also have no problem thinking that he still probably would have gotten fined, even if he had denied it right away. Even though, none of the officials saw it, and there is no photographic evidence of him doing it.

Which leads me back to my original point, he got fined because of who he is, on top of what he was accused of.

16. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    If you find a convicted murderer in an empty room with a dead body and a knife in his hands, what are you going to think? Are you going to give him the benefit of the doubt?

I realize that's an extreme example, but it makes a point. T.O. was fined for who he is, though more specifically, what his history is. T.O. was suspended from the rest of his season with the Eagles last year, even after an independent arbitrator looked at both sides. T.O. has history. It also surely doesn't help that he admitted to doing this.

Now, if we have no evidence (which we don't) and no confession from T.O., then does he still get fined? I would hope not. That's a dangerous precedent to set. But T.O. did admit to it.

Mike & Mike had it right this morning. What happened was T.O.'s crew realized that there is no evidence to support Hall's claim, so they backtracked and changed their story to make T.O. look better.

17. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    See, but that's my point. He was punished inhouse by the team, not by the league. He's being punished by the league because of his reputation, not because he's been repremended several times in the past, by the league.

Anyway, I'm looking like I'm standing up for him, and I'm really not. I'm sick and tired of hearing about him, tbh. I'm just trying to take an objective outlook on the situation. I would be fuming if there had been a suspension, but the fine is whatever. The argument in the first place, was that he was fined without a witness, or photographic evidence, and that had it been another player, they may have gotten a lighter fine, or no fine.

I'll stop arguing though, because personally, I really don't find T.O. worth the effort. :)

18. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    T.O has 35,000 reasons to not do this again. :p

19. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    Think how many vicodin that could buy him though!

20. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    Didn't Shawn Taylor get suspended AND fined?

If so, this is bull ****.

21. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    I believe he was just fined, and he had a history of bad behavior anyway.

22. LordPullus

LordPullus Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 6, 2006
    The T.O. fine I thought was a bit high due to the fact that there is no film footage that proves nor denies what both Owens and Hall claim to what happened. There is the matter that he T.O. might of admitted to doing so when questioned by Deion Sanders moments after the game was over. Deion apoligized for the question he asked, and the way he put it to T.O that Owens felt that his answered was forced into a certain wording when he answered it.

But after everything Deion was able to get both Owens, and Hall on the phone as he acted as a mediator to solve this situation which after a rather fiery conversation according to Deion both Owens, and Hall called it over realizing that they would be facing each other for years to come, and that something like this could lead to something bigger if not resolved.

T.O. is not liked for his off the field activities, but I love the guy for what he can bring to the table with his in game capablities. The fine while I thought was necessary could be considered a little high due in most case to the lack of visual evidence to back it up.

These two will face off for many years to come, and I want them to be at their best without something like this between them.

23. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    We'll he hasn't had a great year this year and he didn't even have a "season" last year. So he's starting to be viewed as unbalanced. During last offseason it was like, "Well he's great, but he can be trouble sometimes". At least that personality is balanced. But it kinda is turning into, "Well he didn't have a tremendous season and his antics are still going on. He's not worth it."

Cowboys won't re-sign. So what teams are desperate?

24. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    He's had a lot of drops, that overshadows the fact he has over a thousand yards receiving, and more TD catches than anyone else in the NFC(or at least top 2 or 3, I'm not for sure after this past weekend). He's had a very good if not great, season, numbers wise.

PS, the Cowboys don't have to resign him, he signed for three seasons when he came here. If they decide they don't want him, they just have to cut him.

25. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    I thought they signed him to a one year deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.