main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

T.V. Screen Crack and Break!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Just_Joe, Nov 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just_Joe

Just_Joe Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 9, 2002
    Hey guys, in a few weeks my buddy and I are making a film for my T.V. productions class and I'm curious about how to do one of the effects planned for it!

At the very end, I close the scene by laser blasting the camera/T.V. screen and I was just wonder how to pull off the screen cracking effect?

I blast it once in the upper left and another in the lower left, and one last time in the middle where the whole thing shatters! The screen shattering completely might just bedone with a fade effect!

Thanks!

2. The-Matt-Man

The-Matt-Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    What apps are you using?

-Matt

3. AWB1989

AWB1989 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 3, 2002
    If you have ulead videostudio you can do it with an effect called "whirlpool"

i believe in msp there is an effect that can do that, although i dont have it so i dono what it is called

in AE there is an effect that can do it. i also forget what it's called because i've never done it in AE. i think it is in the effect > render menu though.

aaron

4. Just_Joe

Oct 9, 2002
    I plan to use Photoshop, After Effects and Pinnacle Studio 8.0(just a basic editing program)!

5. Talic_Wildwood

Talic_Wildwood Jedi Master star 1

Nov 16, 2002
    In After Effects 5 you can use the shatter effect.

6. Just_Joe

Oct 9, 2002
    Cool, I hadnt even noticed the shatter effect!

But I dont think it will help deliver the first part of what I asked!

Like I said, I laser blast the screen three times, 1st in one corner, 2nd in another corner and 3rd right in the middle!

The first two blasts are only meant to crack the screen in those spots, meaning the two corners that havent been blasted still have some solid screen left!

It's the third blast that will cause the whole thing to shatter! The shatter will either be achieved using After Effects or my editing program!

I'm just looking for a way to make the screen cracks look real(like real glass cracking)! Technically the whole sequence of the blast into the screen cracking will only be about 10 frames! Remember, it'll happen real fast, so a slow...beautiful animation of the glass cracking isnt reall needed!

Like I said, I have Photoshop, so if I have to paint on some cracks it's not a problem! I'm just not sure if I can make them look real enough!

7. AWB1989

AWB1989 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 3, 2002
    Make a filmstrip and bring it into photoshop. Then use the craquelure filter. That is the only idea I have for it.

8. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    You can use masks and nested comps to pull off the partial cracking. or you might want to buy an old car window with saftey glass. And light it properly, wear all black and filmit being shattered in different spots, then composite it in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.