main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lightsabers & Blasters Tabards (sp?)

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by The_awesome_jedi, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_awesome_jedi

The_awesome_jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    I just got through making the tabards for my jedi costume and I just want to know how you guys make them stay tucked in during a lightsaber battle. Mine keep falling off my shoulders. I might post a pic to show how the costume is coming. Its for a fanfilm. Thanx everybody!

2. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Snaps and/or Velcro do the trick :)

3. The_awesome_jedi

May 25, 2005
    Is that what they used in the movie?

4. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    Probably not. Movie costumes are not meant to be practical, just look good on camera. And they have wardrobe people to help them get dressed. Sometimes actors are actually sewn into their costumes. :eek:

People need to make their costumes practical to wear in the real world. And to be able to get dressed by themselves, sometimes, too.
    ;)

5. The_awesome_jedi

May 25, 2005
    I also can't really attatch anything to the under tunic bacause it hapens to be my aikido gi.

6. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    Well, you might have stated that before you asked your question. :rolleyes:

I guess your only recourse it to use safety pins, then.

7. The_awesome_jedi

May 25, 2005
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

8. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    Or buy a different gi top. I've been out of the martial arts realm for a few years, but a cheap gi top shouldn't run you more than $30.

I personally use velcro on mine and it works like a champ, and my over tunic is a standard karate gi ;)

9. sal

sal Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    Duck tape is a good resource....Use it.

10. The_awesome_jedi

May 25, 2005
    Duck tape? I'm not wearing ducks! :) i'll be getting a new gi as soon as I can but until then I need this one. I tried safety pins, but the downside is that I need help getting into my costume. ANd the pics won't be up until after Sunday because my mom took all the camera cables to Rhode Island with her...

11. Amanita

Amanita Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2003
    Here's an idea- Perhaps you could use a few small stitches to tack the darn things in place. Hand sewn of course, and easy to unpick when you're done wearing the costume. It won't permenantly mar either the tabards or your gi top, and should help solve the problem of the tabards slipping off your shoulders.

12. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    i actually sewed them on for my son's costume. he's 8 and it was just the practical thing to do. i even made them in the shape of a V in the back and sewed the ends together. that was just the easy way for me.

13. Abhors Elder

Abhors Elder Guest

For my cloth ones I sewed them on, and for my vynal ones I used velcro.

14. davisjaron

davisjaron Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2005
    lol, if you can't do anything to your current tunic, your only hope is to make a new tunic and take this advice from personal experience, do not use velcro! lol, you would probably get snaps like was said by someone else up there, lol.

I used velcro for the premeire with my costume the velcro wouldn't stay on very well.

15. The_awesome_jedi

May 25, 2005
    I sort of figured that velcro wouldn't hold up. I think I'll just sew these on because I plan to do some fast moving duels with 'em. Here's what I used for the rest of the costume, though. All of it fits great. Dark blue Japanese hakama, some very baggy pants I got from Oman, a Middle Eastern country. On screen they look just like the genuine Jedi pants. I used Dark blue VANS shoes because they blend in well with the hakama. Black tabards, and black leather belt I got for about $10 (I also wear this to church). Like I said, It'll be awhile before pics, but you might be suprized what a 13 year old can do with under $50!

16. davisjaron

davisjaron Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2005
    lol, pants I got perfectly matched pants for 13 bucks from wal-mart (dark brown, mix look, like the jedi tunics, perfect for the anakin costume) and my jedi boots cost 40 bucks. The rest of it was hand made.

17. The_awesome_jedi

May 25, 2005
    http://img265.echo.cx/my.php?image=dcam57721cg.jpg

and...

http://img238.echo.cx/my.php?image=dcam57731lz.jpg
    yeah, those are me in my Jedi costume. They're a bit grainy, but that's what you get with a low megapixel camera...
    I'll finnish those up (FX and all) later and then post 'em.

18. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    safetly pin them on before you put it on. That'll work until you get a more suitable tunic.

19. The_awesome_jedi

May 25, 2005
    the safety pin thing is what I did for the pics.

20. jedimaster_spongebob

jedimaster_spongebob Jedi Youngling

Nov 15, 2004
    This may seem like a stupid question, but I'm a costuming newbie.

Are the tabbards 2 seperate pieces, one over each shoulder, or are they joined at the back and seperate in front?

I thought they were something like this . . .

----------------------------
    | |
    | ---------------
    | /
    | \
    | ---------------
    | |
    ----------------------------

But what do I know? Like I said, I'm a newb.

21. The_awesome_jedi

May 25, 2005
    Mine were two pieces, but some people have them like pants going over their shoulders and the part on their back is one piece. I'll post pics of the back of mine later.

22. jabba974

jabba974 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 17, 2004
    Mine started out as a two piece, but it's almost impossible to line them up right by yourself, so I took a scrap of extra material and linked them together sbout were my belt would be. And after fighting through c3, I sewed on some velcro to hold up the tabbards, worked perfectly, except my tabbards are made out of a faux leather and tend to get pretty sweaty, then the velcro doesn't hold as well!

23. verdon

verdon Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2005
    With the Jedi costume I have and the new one i'm working on, I sewed my tabbards onto my tunic. For mynew costume it might be a little harder, depending on the material ofthe tabbards.

24. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    My tabards I have sewn to the back of my obi (sash) in a "V" pattern, like Obi-Wan's PT tabards, then I just tuck them under the obi in the front and the belt helps hold them in place there. I have Velcro at the shoulders to keep them up. That works for me.

There is also the Qui-Gon style that is 2 pieces that hang down in both front and back, but you could probably sew the backs of those to your obi, too.

25. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Mine are two peices and I don't have any trouble lining them up. Guess I'm just lucky :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.