main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tagging Fic

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by rhonderoo, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I've got one story (Anniversaries of the Heart) that's 10 chapters or so and I thought about "tagging" it.

The idea being that I would go in the first post and put all the chapters there. It's about 46 pages in word, no chapter breaks. Is this possible, or is there a character limit?

I could do it in the first two or three posts. Also, what about removing the chapters between replies? Should I do that to lessen confusion or leave it as it is?

Or anyone have another suggestion?

Or is this just a waste of time? :p8-}

2. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    I don't know if there's a character limit, but if the post is too long, the IGN server gives up after half a minute or so and throws an error message at you.

I'd wait until after we make the move to vBulletin and use the [post] tag to make "click here to go to the next chapter" links.

- lazy

3. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    lazykbys_left posted on 6/13/05 9:42am
    I don't know if there's a character limit, but if the post is too long, the IGN server gives up after half a minute or so and throws an error message at you.

I'd wait until after we make the move to vBulletin and use the [post] tag to make "click here to go to the next chapter" links.

- lazy
    [hr][/blockquote]

That is if the Mod Squad activates that markup for the new board.

I thought this thread was about JM-Anakin Solo's tagging program. He hasn't updated it in a long time.....

4. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    Also- this is a problem I've run into maintaining the Jaina/Jag Index- if it's too long, mark-ups start going all funky. Really funky. I would wait until the move.

Another solution would be to just link all the posts. I went through my longest story and did it (takes a long time), but basically, once the reader has finished reading one post, they can click on a link and they're taken to the next one.

LJS @};-

5. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    How do you link to a specific post? I've only seen links to pages and that varies according to individual user display settings...doesn't it? *sorry - is confused*

6. Zane-Marit

Zane-Marit Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2003
    I vote waste of time...The story will be buried 5 pages inside of 24 hours.

JMHO...

7. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Zane - [face_laugh][face_laugh] True. We are a hoppin'! But that's a good thing. Lots of new fics to read and authors to get to know. :)

8. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    How do you link to a specific post? I've only seen links to pages and that varies according to individual user display settings...doesn't it? *sorry - is confused*

On other boards, I've seen it done. It actually is easy- all you have to do is click the box that's next to the edit, PM, etc links and click it. It will give you a link and then you copy that and paste it into normal markups. But at least at the moment, it can't be done- I've tried it here myself and it won't work. You can only link to the page...

9. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    You can create a link to the specific post by noting the date and time and going to that users' "post history" link and going through until you find it. Then you have a link you can copy (or open to make sure it goes to the right post and then copy) to put in for the specific post. But it will still only take them to the page on which it appears (but it does that independant of posts per page settings so is better than going to a page yourself) and it highlights the bar across the top of the specific post so it is easier to find on the page.

It's a lot of work but kind of worth doing if you want to make it a bit easier for readers to find all the story posts. Or any time you want to point someone to a specific post. I do wish we had some way to make it show only story posts sometimes. I never did figure out the tagging program stuff (too lazy). But then other times I find the readers' comments quite interesting so am fine with having to read them over on the way to the next post.

KD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.