main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD Tags! (And a bit on prefixes) But TAGS!! - New sorting system! - New tags added Jan 22

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Dec 28, 2017.

1. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    I just noticed that the Corran Horn tag is spelled wrong.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Ewok Poet likes this.
  2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Fixed it, thanks!

BookExogorth and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Below is a list of the tags we've added, they will be added to the list on the first post shortly.

If there was a tag you suggested and you don't see it here, PM us if you would like to discuss it. We're still happy to take suggestions if/when you think of them either here or by PM.

One that we do want to quickly address are the content warning type ideas. We didn't add them for several reasons: Nothing should be posted that is over the family friendly line. If the author thinks it needs a warning while still within the rules, or for things that must have a warning/label it MUST be clearly indicated in the opening post of the thread. Tags are not required to be used and easy to not see, so they don't work well for a warning type situation. We don't want to encourage use of things that may need content warnings, especially to newer members who may not be as familiar with our family friendly standards. Also, because there is no way to search for things without a specific tag, so it doesn't work as a negative tag (You couldn't search for stories tagged "tragedy" that doesn't have a "character death" tag).

Tags added:

Characters (General):
    criminals
    disabled character
    ensemble cast
    sky/solos - Skywalkers and Solos
    smugglers
    ssr- same-sex relationship
    minor character
    minor legends character

Genre:
    fluff/mush
    horror
    introspection
    legends/new canon mashup
    mystery
    redemption
    supernatural
    time travel

Length/Type:
    collaborative
    gift - fic that was written as a gift for someone else
    repost
    script
    series
    songfic

Timeline:
    130 ABY +
    distant past
    far future

Ship:
    J/K - Jaina and Kp
    Legends/OC
    Obidala Obi-Wan and Padmé Amidala
    Sabewan - Sabé and Obi-Wan
    Siriwan - Siri and Obi-Wan

Character:
    Rose

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  4. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Suggest:

Under genres, add "Squadfic." Pilots is useful, but could also refer to Han Solo or Bodhi Rook, whereas a Squadfic is very specific in re: what types of pilots.

Sith-I-5 and Ewok Poet like this.
  5. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Oh, and can we either pin this or maybe just cut and paste the new tags into the FAQ at the top? I always need a quick reference, 'cause I can't seem to retain things in my brain anymore... :)

6. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Yes, absolutely! I put a link in the Organization part of the FAQ and also in the Welcome New Users post.

Findswoman likes this.
  7. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Can I suggest adding "adventure" as a genre?... I find it kinda funny that's it's not part of the list.

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Hmmm...is there a chance of adding more Rebels-related tags?

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  9. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Can you be more specific?

10. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    The characters that appear in many episodes, such as Hondo and Kallus.

11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Saw two stories with no prefixes just now. Do I send you the links or...?

12. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Don't worry about that. That's pretty obvious that we can see right away. We've not been as worried about it recently because we were hoping to change the whole system, but the not being able to edit titles put a damper in that. On our priority list, that's down pretty low.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  13. Oddly_Salacious

Oddly_Salacious Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 5, 2005
    <tag category="characters" subcategory="specific"><name>Kyle Katarn</name></tag>
    <tag category="characters" subcategory="specific"><name>Jerec</name></tag>
    <tag category="characters" subcategory="specific"><name>Jaster Mereel</name></tag>
    <tag category="characters" subcategory="specific"><name>IG-88</name></tag>
    <tag category="characters" subcategory="specific"><name>HK-47</name></tag>
    <tag category="characters" subcategory="specific"><name>Mission Vao</name></tag>
    <tag category="characters" subcategory="specific"><name>Canderous Ordo</name></tag>
    <tag category="characters" subcategory="specific"><name>Kreia</name></tag>
    Nerd alert. I'm building my own resource database -heh heh.

14. JohnLydiaParker

JohnLydiaParker Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 14, 2019
    Since I am very new to fan fiction (I thought "ships" would refer to starships!), could somebody please explain to a very clueless me what some of the tags mean? Specially, what the Genre and Length/Type tags mean? I don't want to post the wrong tags with an upcoming story I plan to post.

Thanks.:)

Mira_Jade likes this.
  15. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Hello! First off, welcome to the fan fiction side of the boards! It's always great to have a new author and reader joining us, and we look forward to seeing what you have to share!

Then, yep! Ships refers to romantic relationships; it's common fandom slang that's been around for ages now, and for more fandoms than just Star Wars! The Genre and Length/Type tags are just what they say on the tin. Genre is for what best suits the tone of your story - is it a comedy or romance or a drama? For example: family is for stories that focus heavily on themes of, well, family in any way, while fluff/mush is warm and happy and full of good feelings! Length/Type is for how long your story is. Is it a one shot? A little longer than that, yet not a full novel would be a short story. Anything longer than that would be an epic in length by our tagging system. I don't know if that's what you were looking for - and I apologize if I over or under explained anything, but if you have any more specific questions we'll be happy to answer them.

You can also tag as you best see fit! You don't have to tag every story for genre and length if you don't want to. Just tag whatever you think is best for your story. It's a somewhat loose system that's very much open to the author's interpretation. :)

I hope that helped! Welcome, once again, and if you have any further questions about anything please feel free to contact either myself or one of the other fan fiction mods. :D

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    Findswoman and Tarsier like this.
  16. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Hi, was just wondering -- is this a good time to request some new tags? I know things are probably a bit busy with the changes in mods and all, but if there's time for it at some point there are a few I'd like to request (a few characters from Ep 9 and a couple other miscellaneous things). And I keep forgetting to check about it here! :p

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  17. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Hey, that’s fine, no worries! We probably could (and it would probably be about time), though I am not sure what the process for that is and would have to check with the mods who have been modding longer than I have. But I shall certainly check and get back to you about it. Which tags are you interested in adding?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  18. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Our tag list is certainly overdue some TLC, I agree! :p We'd love to hear your suggestions - and anyone else's - and then we can go from there about approving and creating new tags. [face_thinking]

19. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    Suggestion for Obitine as a relationship option, to secure Obi-Wan's lead over Jaina as the character with the widest array of romantic tags

20. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    [​IMG]

This is my reaction eight times out of ten when you post (the other 20% of the time is reserved for soul crushing despair), but this was especially my reaction here. :p

21. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    @Findswoman , @Mira_Jade , that's great! :D I have... a lot of suggestions. (Surprise, surprise.) But here are some top-of-the-list options that I'd love to see:

Sequels characters: Jannah, Zorii Bliss, D-O, Maz Kanata, Amilyn Holdo, Unkar Plutt, Ochi, DJ, Paige Tico

Pairings: Finn/Rey, Zorii/Poe, Finn/Poe, Rose/Finn, Poe/Rey, Poe/Holdo, Qui-Gon/Tahl, Lando/Tendra, Corran/Mirax, Wedge/Iella, Din Djarin/Cara Dune, Rex/Ahsoka, (we're also missing Tahl, Tendra, Cara Dune and Iella tags individually)

Other: Star Wars Resistance (TV), Kenobi (TV), Book of Boba Fett (TV), looks like we already have Baby Yoda though! ;), High Republic era -- I can definitely provide a list of major characters for some of these if it's wanted, as well as some that I'd like to see from the prequels and various books! (Seriously, I can open the floodgates but I'm not sure how extensive a list is a pain to do! [face_laugh])

[face_laugh] Considering what Legends did there, it seems only proper -- how many Tragic One True Loves can one Jedi have? :p (Lots, I can give you an itemized list if you let me Google that for you...)

22. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    I might be the only one who would use this tag 8-}

23. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Well, the Unkar Plutt fan club isn't exactly extensive either. :p But there was this great story from divapilot (I think?) a while back. And nobody's written a Book of Boba fic yet that I know of.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
    JediMaster_Jen and Findswoman like this.