main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SNG tailoring question

Discussion in 'Asia & Africa General Discussion' started by siaosaber, Aug 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siaosaber

siaosaber Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    how many yards of material do i need to make a full suit for my greedo costume. i am around 5 foot 6. i know you guys are expert in costuming. and i know zero about tailoring. pls help me out here.

thanks

2. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Pant & Shirt about 2.5-3m each (to be safe).

Vest, 1.5m should be enough.

My method for normal cut clothings (aka not Gowns or Robe) is "2x Height + 1m"

Best to consult your tailor/seamstress first cause different people will cut differently and use up different amount of cloth. If using patterns, consult the back of the pattern for recommanded amount of cloth required. Moreover, the width of the cloth may effect the amount of cloth needed. ;)

3. siaosaber

Apr 29, 2003
    Thanks DE . I know i can count on you. :)

anyway, any recommendation for a good seamstress?

4. siaosaber

Apr 29, 2003
    i dont know if any of you know this. ok, does the greedo vest need interfacing for the whole vest or just the neck area and the edges.

5. xeno_kenobi

xeno_kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 4, 2002
    Neck and Edges only.
    Check Parts Of Star Wars.

6. siaosaber

Apr 29, 2003
    strange , i didn't come across that. :confused:

7. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    *Coming back for a little while from Korriban*

This link:
    http://www.partsofsw.com/greedo.htm

Okay, first u must know the full purpose of interfacing: it's to make the parts harder and able to stand on its own. Interfacing are usually used on the collar, cuffs, Obi etc etc. And interfacing comes in various types (Paper, Fabric, Canvas etc) and can either be sew on or iron on. Sometimes, the thin type of interfacings are also used to make the piece more thicker and slightly more stiffs.

According to PoSW, "There are two different vests worn by Greedo. The first is orange with many pockets probably a military shirt with the sleeves removed. The second was worn during closeups while Greedo is seated talking with Han Solo. This vest was a simpler one of an orange velvet-like material."

Anyhow, looking at this image
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/greedo/img/eu_bg.jpg]
    I can't see any collar on the vest so there is no need for interfacings. But the Vest is highly recommanded to be lined with linings (Acetate Lining, 100% Polyester Lining, Satin, Silk, whatever) to hide any seams (anyhow, Vests are suppose to be lined).

8. siaosaber

Apr 29, 2003
    well , the reason why i thought of interfacing is because i am thinking of the many pocket version. i almost have everything within reach, now is just this big hurdle ,the suit and vest. i may need to compromise on the color of the fabric also. Sooo difficult to find the mint color fabric. hope i can finish this project.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.