main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tainted Child (NEWS! *throws confetti into air* ~~~COMPLETE~~~)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by obaona, Jul 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    CalaisKenobi: Thank you. :)

kasiaskywalker: Vader's dead. :)

The_Chosen_One_41981: [face_plain]

cristalvandepol: I'll try to. And thank you. :D :D

Jedi_Liz: [face_blush] You're welcome. :)

Chaos_Rose: Are all those faces a good thing . . . ? [face_plain]

Amidala22: I'm trying, I swear. [face_plain] The last post is going to be difficult, though - just cause its the last. :(

PadawanKitara: I try. ;) And thank you. :D

vader_incarnate: [face_devil] [face_devil] [face_devil]

QUESTION: What did everyone think of Vader dying - besides :_| and :mad: ?

2. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    You didn't mention [face_shocked] *winks*

I suppose it had to happen. Vader's death, while surely unexpected, was the emotional climax-- Luke had to choose whether to stay true to the light or join his father in darkness. His choice, his only choice with a completely unredeemable Vader was exactly what he chose to do. (Well, he could have taken the other choice, I guess. [face_devil] But then he wouldn't be our sweet lil' Luke. [face_love])

But argh! I guess we wouldn't feel quite so [face_shocked], :mad: and :_| if this wasn't the only frickin' place where we saw him die by Luke's hand. We would have been more accepting, lol, if it'd happened before. We all crave a happy ending. This will be one too, I guess, even if a bit bittersweet, but when I write stories, at least, I just can't accept that Vader might have been unredeemable. It could have happened, it could very easily have happened, had just a few very minor things been different. Thank the Force that they weren't!!

Hey, I'm biased. Look at the username and beware. 8-}

3. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    Bittersweet. Exactly what I was going for. :D That part is intended to the emotional climax of the story - the post before that was the climax of the big battle. The epilogue will tie everything together and (such is the plan) let the readers relax. No angst! :eek:

I have always thought that Vader could easily have stayed Vader. People tend to assume he wouldn't - not with Luke running around - but I think it was a very close thing. And so I wondered, what would happen if he didn't turn back? And yes . . . I do like happy endings. I just don't always write them. ;) [face_mischief]

4. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    Dum De Dum!!!

Here it is, people. The last post. [face_plain] :( :_|

Anyway . . . *wipes tears away* I hope you enjoy, and to all my readers, even the lurkers, thank you so much for reading. I'll miss you! :_|

I'm putting my usual comments here as to not spoil the ending. Please, please give feedback. This is the last post. Lurkers, please come out (if you're there).

Special thanks to all my betas, including Leslie, dcboy39, and scorpiojedi. Also thanks to matth2extreme for help with that first battle scene and to Samantha, for being unable to beta-read but still wanting to read it. :)

And thanks most especially to my mother, for the endless help and patience with all my English class questions. :D

Epilogue

Obi-Wan breathed in the cool, spring air of Alderaan, trying to quell his nervousness. He stood in an old garden with crumbling, stone walls and terraces, with vines overflowing. Huge trees with drooping branches surrounded him, the shadow of their leaves creating a speckled ground of moss. The garden grew in every shade of green, with brightly colored flowers and leaves dappling the entire area. A faint breeze stirred the beautiful garden, and someone cleared his throat.

Obi-Wan turned his head slightly to meet Luke?s gaze. Luke stood with the rest of the guests, who stood in a square with a clear line down the middle. The young man wore Jedi tunics and a brown robe that was a touch too long. He looked very much like the Jedi Knight he was.

Luke winked at Obi-Wan and gave a reassuring pulse of the Force. Obi-Wan let it sink in and gave his former apprentice a grateful smile.

Mace watched the interaction with a slight, amused smile. Obi-Wan found himself half-surprised by that, since the Jedi Order still did not approve of such strong emotional attachments as Obi-Wan had with Kyalla. But as the years had passed with him having no contact with the Order, Obi-Wan?s feelings had changed. It wasn?t emotions that were dangerous, he believed, as much as what one did with them. Over the years as Obi-Wan gradually lost contact with the Jedi, the Council had simply grown to accept that he would not be the Jedi he once was. And so Mace, gently conceding to this, smiled.

Obi-Wan eyes flickered over the rest of the guests. All were close friends, including his Mon Calamari friend Bant, who was a Jedi Knight, and Bail Organa, who had been a faithful friend through the years. Others included the entire Jedi Council, including Yoda who stood in the front with a half amused and half chastising look on his wizened face. But even he watched the proceedings with happiness. In all, there were perhaps two dozen people present.

After looking around for a bit, Obi-Wan let his gaze settle on Luke again, and also on the person next to him. The young man was no longer looking at him, and looked to be quietly speaking with Bant, standing next to him. She wore simple Jedi robes ? but, conceding to the occasion, wore a string of shells around her neck. Their friendship, broken by the argument about Luke, had begun to heal and he was content to see that she was here and even talking with his former apprentice.

Obi-Wan searched the young man?s face, and saw what he expected to see: happiness, at least mostly. Sometimes, when Luke didn?t know he was looking, he would see a shadow in Luke?s eyes, a testament to all that he had gone through. A new wariness with his old Master. It gave Obi-Wan a feeling of sadness, but he also had a sense of hope. Their relationship would never be the same; but perhaps it could heal, and grow into something stronger, if changed.

And much had changed. The Empire was not defeated but the biggest step had been made. Once the Imperial forces had left Coruscant?s system, the Rebellion had settled in and taken inventory of the loss of lives and injuries. Kyalla had needed only a short dunk in a bacta tank and Obi-Wan had simply put himself in healing trance for several day

5. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    :eek: I must confess that I have lurked my entire way through this story, and I absolutely loved it. Lukie's just cute :-D ;) And I love how you ended it with a wedding and Lukie's quote. (Oh and the angst was perfect... Vader's death was so sad too :( )

6. Padawan_Travina

Padawan_Travina Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2002
    Ok Obaona...

That was the perfect ending to this great story...

I am glad that in the end everything worked out...

I am kinda sad to see this go..but now this means you can work on SH more..;)

I really did enjoy reading this great story..and I look forward to reading more of your work in the future.

Good Job once again

PT

7. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    padawan lunetta: Thanks for replying. :) And thank you. I'm glad the wedding and quote went well. :D

PT: Thank you. :) I'm glad it's a good ending for the story - over time, this story just got to epic proportions so I was worried about the ending. ;) :D

8. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Very nice obaona . I like the epilogue. :) I actually quite liked that you killed Vader. We see too many writers who are afraid to kill their characters - sometimes, it is needed. :)

Aunecah

9. CalaisKenobi

CalaisKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    That was simply perfect. You brought the Star Wars saga completely round circle, from Anakin's and the Order's fall (or partial fall in your case) due to Anakin's attachment and the death of his mother, to the return of the Order and the "ascension" of Luke due to the death of his Father, and again the theme of attachment. I don't know if that was coherent at all, if it wasn't let me know and I'll take another shot at explaining my wandering ramblings ;) Suffice it to say: great ending

10. Sugar_Bear

Sugar_Bear Jedi Master star 3

Dec 14, 2001

Beautiful conclusion to a marvelously well told tale, Obaona!

To witness Obi-Wan and Kyalla's wedding ceremony and recognize Luke's official status as a Jedi knight was a joyous and sweet moment, but what really made everything worthwhile and special for me was the realization of the redemption of Obi-Wan Kenobi. The master was absolutely right in his decision to raise and train Luke and after the elimination of the Sith, now deserves all the happiness he can get.

Thank you, Obaona, for an enjoyable, consistently well written story with terrific characterizations and wonderful descriptive imagery.

11. REBADAMS7

REBADAMS7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    But to Say
    just "Well Done,"
    seems adequate not!
    Reb
    Keep Writing

12. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    * stunning * :)

13. Amidala22

Amidala22 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 20, 1999
    *stands up cheering and clapping*

Alright, obaona!!!!

That was incredible...wow!!! I am totally amazed...but sad that it's over.

But it worked right in the end.

Beautiful.

~*~
    Amidala22

14. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    Aunecah_Skywalker: Thank you. And you actually liked that I killed Vader! :D

CalaisKenobi: Sure, that . . . kinda makes sense. ;) And thank you! :)

Sugar_Bear: [face_blush] I suppose on the key parts of this story was Obi-Wan and how he went on after Anakin. And I always planned to have him happy - he's always gotten such a bad ending to his life (in fanfic). Thank you for reading. :)

REBADAMS7: Good enough. ;) Thank you. :)

obi_ew: [face_blush]

Amidala22: *bows* Thank you, thank you. :D [face_blush]

15. Sreya

Sreya Jedi Master star 2

Aug 7, 2000
    Hooray for Obi-Wan and Kyalla! Oh, very nicely done, Obaona! And such a nice emotional relief after checking in at Ascension of the Queen (which isn't going as happily as this!)

The story has been wonderful, and I look forward to seeing what you start next!

Sreya

16. The_Chosen_One_41981

The_Chosen_One_41981 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2002
    *wild applause* Great ending! :) Finally, Obi-Wan gets a happy ending. Of course, now if Anakin were there-*rambles on about why Anakin should be there and not in two pieces* :p

On a happier note. Great story Obaona. :D Now I'll just have to stalk you someplace else. :p

17. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    Sreya: Thank you. I am starting another fic, a collab with vader_incarnate. It will be posted under my name, and hopefully we'll start posting soon. :) And I like happy endings. :D

The_Chosen_One_41981: Err . . . how about I write a story with him not in two pieces? 8-} And thank you. :D

18. creelin

creelin Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2002
    I've lurked through this whole thing too. That was a wonderful ending, and I liked the way Obi-Wan's thinking had changed from they ways of the typical Jedi. The wedding was the perfect way to end it.

19. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    creelin: Hi, lurker! :D I'm so glad you think that - that was one the main goals in this story and part of the point of the wedding scene.

Thanks for reading! :D

20. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    :_| :_| :_|

Oh, Force, I'm crying. Really. Tears of happiness, though, a rare thing when I read Obi fics. Our lil' Obi never seems to get the happy ending, even after all he's been through. Even though he seems to deserve on the most, sacrificing his life, his everything for the will of the Force. We love him, of course, but he never seems to get the happy endings that our other SW heroes get. Anakin and Luke get happy endings, but Kenobi is left alone, "one with the Force" and all that... He's the tragic hero of the SW saga, especially so because he never gets rewarded for what he does.

I think I like this way better. :)

*standing ovation*

That was a wonderful story, obaona. We all think so- so I'll just be repeating everyone else. I hope you don't mind excessive praise. ;)

21. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    I love excessive praise. :D [face_mischief]

Actually, that was one of my main reasons for writing this story. Giving Obi a happy ending where he DOESN'T die. Of course, I did kill Vader off but he already got a happy ending in the movies . . . ;)

22. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I agree Obaona It was high time for Obi-Wan to get a happy ending. And a great ending it was too! I really liked the quote at the end.

23. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    Thank you, PadawanKitara! I'm glad you liked the quote, I thought it would be a good way of showing how everything turned out (Luke becoming a Jedi Master). :D

24. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Great ending. Obi got some happiness. His relationship had changed with Luke but that didn't make it worse, just different. It was sad that Vader died, but he was unrepetant and I can't see how any other ending would have worked.

I'll miss this story. I hope you plan on submitting it to the archives.

25. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    great ending! I loved the short little wedding ceremony......did I miss Vader's death? oh dear me......... [face_shocked]

Oh well..... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.