main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA Take A Gander, If You Will... (Website Deployed, PM me for account)

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by ben_ethus, Nov 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ben_ethus

ben_ethus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2001
    ...at our new (almost completely done) website!

.....oooooOOOOoooo......

.....aaaaaahhhhhhhhh.....

;)

Anyway, it's not 100% complete, but it's pretty darned close. Read the most recent news article on the website to get the latest scoop on what's going on with it. It's really, really past my bedtime so I'm off to bed.

Have fun with the site,
    Yours Truly

2. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    It's Looking good! One thing though...there's no link to our message board on the side nav.

3. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Curses... you're right. Not sure how that one slipped by. EDIT: Fixed it!

If you guys notice anything else flaky, just let me know and I'll jump on it.

Thanks,
    Yours Truly

4. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Brian, I'd like to add a few links to the links section. (I can even get banners for them if you'll post them up)

Anyway here are the links I'm requesting be added:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com
    This is a SW collecting site. It's the one I moderate for.

http://www.rebelscum.com
    This is one of the oldest and best collecting sites. They have alot of the news on the collecting community first.

http://www.galactichunter.com
    Not just another collecting site, but one with great hi-res pics of upcoming and archived SW related collectibles.

Looks good so far. Say who's Ken? Is he your roomie?

When's the banner getting put on the site?
    Will you be taking our personal info at the meeting or is that something we will post ourselves, once we get log-in permissions?

Can't wait to see it fully launched.

Well, that's enough for now. Good job.
    -Sal

5. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Sal... When I get some time later today, I'll throw those links up there for you. If anyone else has any suggestions let me know. Now that I'm thinking of it, I'll throw up the websites for the Cleveland FF, WV FF, and DC FF too, since we're friendly with them folks.

Ken is my roomie and he actually did the vast majority of the programming for the site itself. I designed the database and he stitched it all together for us. I made some tweaks to get it online, but it was primarily his effort that you see up there.

I figured you guys could enter your own personal information into the site when your account is made. It'll be part of the account creation process. Also, only members of the site who are logged in will be able to see your information in the member directory, that way everyone's personal info isn't just splattered up there for every one in the world to see. You also have the option of keeping it totally private, but that defeats the purpose of an online member directory. You also also have the right to not put any info into the site either (since it's all optional), but that also defeats the purpose of the online member directory.

Which banner do you mean, Sal? The one in our forum should be at the tippy-top of every page on the site...?

I think that was all the questions. If anyone has anymore, just let me know.

Thanks,
    Yours Truly

P.S. There's apparently a problem with the "ADD LINK" and "ADD FAQ" options on the site which don't allow me to add new ones. Hurm... I'll have to take a look at those when I get some time to see what's going on. When I figure it out, I'll get the new stuff put up in there. Odd...

6. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Yeah, I meant the banner like the one here now. But also, that I could get banners as links for the collecting websites I posted.

7. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Sal... The links page is set up to accept images to companion each link, so if you have "banner link" images for the ones you've mentioned, feel free to send them my way for inclusion with your links. When I get the weird errors sorted out with the FAQ/Links edit page, I can go and attach the images to the links.

Thanks,
    Yours Truly

8. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    OkeyDokey. Two have been sent. tracking down the third.

Will send by tomorrow if possible.

-Sal

9. BonMothma

BonMothma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    I have an article for the costuming section. I could send it to you, but I figured at this point, I'd wait until after the meeting and hopefully I'll know how to do it myself then.

Love those example articles you posted!

See you Sunday!

10. Stina-Cri

Stina-Cri Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    it looks good.

does a happy we have a website dance

11. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I've found a few things so far. I'll keep looking as well.

-The member login area still has the old images and not the new digs.

-I found an error. I can't change my password. (I figured out my login and password so I logged in.) Here it is.

Microsoft VBScript compilation error '800a0411'

Name redefined

/swap/includes/areyouagod.asp, line 2

dim imagod
    ----^

That's it for now. Thank your roomie for me.

Edit:

Can you add soemthign where instead of showing our favorite link you can put in a title for the link too? Also on the member directory is there an image size cap? Don't want to have someone put in a really big picture.

12. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, there.

Rox... We didn't institute a cap on the image size, I think primarily because it didn't seem overtly necessary. There's probably not going to be a whole lot of accounts in the first place, so it should be easy to moderate if someone picks a picture that's too big. If it does turns out to be a problem, we can always institute some code. (Or, if I get bored one day and am feeling industrious, I can make the change then.) *shrug*

Also, the original pic for the login was initially chosen since we weren't even going to have the logon page be accessible from the main page for an extra layer of security. It had the old graphics to show it was a different part of the site. But as I was testing it, I found it to be very frustrating not to have it available to me, so I changed it. Just never changed the imagery. I can probably do that, though.

The link title thing is doable, though a change to the database is needed. Not sure why we used it in one place on the site, but not another. Hurm...

Also, my password change feature is messed up, too, but in a different way. Another thing to hunt down. Hurm... This is frustrating since all this stuff worked perfectly on my machine. Oy.

Anyhoo, thanks for your ideas and everyone please feel free to make suggestions as you use the site more.

Thanks,
    Yours Truly

13. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Looks good. A couple of things:

Should we have a sticky post related to the website? That way when the website is updated someone can say so in the stickypost and people will go there and read.

What symbol should we use for games and movie review ratings? For example, 3 out of 5 lightsabers, 4 out of 5 SWAP symbols?

14. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Yeah, that's a good question. I just give a number usually. Though last time I said gablooshes. (No such thing just made it up)

We could use the icons for each area. That could make it easy. Though I don't know how much work would be entailed with intergrating that into the website.

I sent you a few movie Icons Brian. Did you receive them? One was of a traditional movie camera, the other of a reel of film with the SWAP logo as the middle of the reel. If you didn't get these, LMK and I'll send them again.

-Sal

15. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Sal... I believe the movie ones were in the first batch you sent. I used the one with the SWAP symbol on a can of film as the "New Movie Review" icon on the front page, but didn't have a place to use the others yet. I still have them in supply though, so they might be able to be used for the ratings if desired.

What I can do is leave them on the server in the images folder so that they can be accessed by the article writers. Those who author the reviews just need to be able to plug in some basic html tags to get them to show up. (Which is easy, and which I can show people how to do when it becomes necessary.)

So, yeah, it's all good.

Going to bed because I'm really tired,
    Yours Truly

16. BonMothma

BonMothma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    You were saying yesterday that there were a few problems on the site. Please keep us posted and let us know when it's OK to post real articles and get rid of the fake ones!

17. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Can't see the site now.

18. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

We're still tinkering with it, so the site will be in a state of flux for a little bit.

I'll let you guys know when it's up to where it needs to be and when your accounts are real and active and when "real" articles can be posted.

Thanks for your patience,
    Yours Truly

19. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
  20. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

We spent some time last night banging our heads against the wall and managed to fix up the stuff on the site that needed fixed, so now it should work the way it's supposed to without any wonkiness. There's still one or two minor things I need to update, but it's more or less where it should be.

I haven't copied over the user accounts yet, but will do that sometime today so that you guys can start putting up articles if you're so inclined.

I'll continue to make minor tweaks with it as time goes by, but the bulk of the work is now done and as long as nothing else hideously awry goes down, we should be set.

Huzzah,
    Yours Truly

21. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Okay, I transferred all the existing member info over to the site, and made some of the tweaks I wanted to make, so those of you who were at the meeting on Sunday are set to roll: you are now clear to write/receive/post articles to your heart's content. :)

For those of you who still need accounts, you need to get in touch with me so that I can set one up for you. Please note that only active members will get an account for the website unless the account exists for another reason (a la my roommate's account).

So, yeah, have fun, and please remember that anyone with an account is allowed to submit an article. For now (until I put up a note delineating who is moderating what sections), please feel free to send any articles you would like posted to me so that I can put them up for you.

It's getting really late, so I'm going to sleep.

Nighty night,
    Yours Truly

P.S. Remember, if you need your account created, get in touch with me via PM so we can set it up. Thanks!

22. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Although the site was working fine a little while ago, there seems to be something jacked with the session variables now, which means nobody can post new content again. *grumble*

I'll try to get it fixed up as soon as I can.

Annoyed,
    Yours Truly

P.S. EDIT: Apparently my work computer was smoking crack. It seems to work fine... *scratches head*

23. ben_ethus

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

FanFic Submission requirements... CHECK!
    ROTS Countdown Clock.... CHECK!
    Goofy TF.N/TOS Newsboxes that nobody asked for... CHECK!

See what you guys think and let me know.

Good? Gaudy?

Critique me,
    Yours Truly

24. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Great! Can you move them closer to the top? Maybe just the SW.com and TF.N parts? It looks a little off-kilter, IMHO.

Still, having those on there are a nice improvement. I may just make this my launch page when I start up the net in the morning. Nice to get a fresh batch of SW related news every day.

Thanks Brian, you're doing a good job with the site.

-Sal

25. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    The site is fantastic! I like the new sidebar things. And the countdown clock. :D Great idea, Sal, having that be the launch page. I made the switch so pittsburghfanforce.com is now my home page!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.