main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Taking Darth Vaders helmet from Endor...?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Avnar, Oct 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    Not as important as moving full speed ahead with actual narrative of the main story. Kylo has acquired the helmet somehow, explaining the exact details of exactly how that happened would grind the story to a halt. Most viewers should be able to fill in the blanks for themselves.

thejeditraitor, StoneRiver and Dra--- like this.
  2. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    Just a single line of dialogue would do it, i dont need a full scene depicting it. I dont think it would be left in plain sight for more evil doers to come and worship him, maybe luke kept it and if we do actually get some sort of academy raid, maybe it was found there.
    Sorry we wont agree on this and i will be quite disappointed if the lid just pops up in kylos chamber, ive been invested in this series for over 30 years, some nod to how he got it is all thats needed, no explanation at all seems lazy.

3. SgtTimBob

Jun 5, 2014
    That would potentially be worse than an actual scene showing it, in my view. Any time you have characters sat around explaining things for the sake of the audience tends to stop a film dead in it's tracks as far as I'm concerned. This is a detail that isn't vital to the plot and can be sidestepped for the sake of brevity. The OT never wasted time explaining things that weren't crucial. I mean, you originally went the entirety of ANH without getting any explanation as to why this Darth guy is in a mask and a suit.

thejeditraitor and Dra--- like this.
  4. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    The audience who's seen ROTJ know that the helmet is on Endor. So most will just assume Kylo went there and picked it up.

You know. With his hand.

[face_clown]

5. dan1210

Mar 27, 2015
    Ok well do you think when kasdan and JJ wrote this they thought they would just have kylo with the helmet with no thought to how he acquired it?
    I do believe explaining some story points to the audience is counter productive but this seems too important to be left alone, just my 2 cents of course.

6. SgtTimBob

Jun 5, 2014
    I think they definitely thought about it. I think they had it all explained out as part of the back story for the character. But that doesn't mean they should put that into the screenplay; it's just part of the journey of that character, something that they probably went over with Driver so that he knows where this guy is coming from. The important thing for the audience is that he somehow has the helmet and he talks to it. These things alone tell you so much about the character without needing to have it spelled out literally for you. It's a neat little bit of visual story telling. In the context of the story I think it's perfectly acceptable to let the audience read between the lines on that one, rather than bogging down the pace of the movie with an in depth history of a charred mask.

7. TurboPGT

TurboPGT Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 15, 2015

But IF the academy is on Sullust AND Jakku is really Tatoonine, than surely Kylo Ren was only 12 at the time.

I swear, this place has nosedived into a giant facepalm since the trailer. Please read the MSW outline. It is accurate.

8. JEDI-KTULU

JEDI-KTULU Jedi Master

Jan 7, 2005
    Am I the only one, or does anyone else think Vader/Anakin's skull is still in the helmet? When you look at the helmet, on the right side, it sure looks like a cheekbone to me.

9. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I'm sure there will be some comic book that shows the story how he got it. And it will be something I'll never read.

Dra--- likes this.
  10. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015
    Maybe Luke established his New Jedi Temple on Endor.

11. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I wouldn't be too quick to call him insane. This is a universe with ghosts and visions and magical powers after all. But he's definitely an obsessive.

Lee_ and Mungo Baobab like this.
  12. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Ok, I admit it. I walked right into that one.

13. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    The skull will be ash by the time the helmet cooled down enough to be able to pick it up, as will the rest of Anakin's remains, What i'd expect to not burn to ashes is his armour and his prosthetic limbs, they'll be all melted like the helmet.

Which asks the question, why didn't Kylo take the armour? Does Luke have the armour, does he even wear it under his Jedi tunic?

14. JediWampa

JediWampa Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2000

Not sure if this is speculation or if there's something out there I missed. But how do you know Kylo DOESN'T have the armour? All they've shown is the helmet, but that was a 1-second shot in a 2.5 minute trailer from a 2 hour movie.

Alien Vanguard likes this.
  15. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014

Strange Old Hermit wins the award for most logical poster in the thread so far. =D=

A) Let's not forget burden of proof. Who's to believe that Luke actually vanquished the dark lord? Physical proof is always preferred.

B) Luke was the only one present at his father's funeral and I'm sure he wanted keep to the entire event a secret.

C) No one would have suspected he was cremated on the Endor moon because:

D) It was probably assumed he was destroyed in the 2nd Death Star blast. Unless:

E) It became widespread knowledge that Luke Skywalker had the helmet of Vader in his possession as proof of the dark lord's demise.

F) True; Vader was the face of evil, but he was still Luke's father. If anyone should have the helmet it should be Anakin's offspring. Not some damned ewok using it as a musical instrument.

City Councilman Binks likes this.
  16. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Depends on how it's played. If a flashback to Kylo taking Vader's helmet from the pyre is depicted as a critical character moment, it could be very powerful. Inventive storytellers can take something that sounds like "grinding the story to a halt" on paper, to something narratively and visually compelling.

But I don't think we're getting such a scene, anyway, so it's all academic.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  17. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Hopefully, it wasn't sold to Kylo by some necrophiliac. :eek:

18. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014

[​IMG]

19. dan1210

Mar 27, 2015
    Something possibly more interesting, how the hell does kylo know where to find vaders bucket? assuming luke was the only one that knew...

Krueger and Luke02 like this.
  20. Alien Vanguard

Alien Vanguard Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2015
    Snoke?

Krueger, Luke02 and dan1210 like this.
  21. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think people just want to see Ewoks again.

GregMcP and dan1210 like this.
  22. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

I been wondering the same thing. Snoke would be a good answer. I also don't think will get a full explanation until Episode VIII. I think TFA is going to be driven by the story/events where has Episode VIII will be more of the character study which of course mirrors the OT.

Krueger likes this.
  23. Melancholy

Melancholy Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    The situation here is that people against this being Endor think it has to be some long scene.

It will probably be part of the vision/flashback where Maz probably mentions that the Knights of Ren began pillaging across the galaxy.

24. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Pretty much this. Or the larger context will make it easy to see how he could have gotten it.

I doubt they dedicate a scene to it, like with Marty Feldman out in a graveyard on Endor digging it up. 8-}

The question is, was that scene borrowed from Hamlet talking to Yorick's skull?

25. Robert Merrill

Robert Merrill Jedi Master star 2

Sep 23, 2014
    Maybe Luke took Vader's helmet when he left Endor, had it at the Jedi Academy and it was taken from him when the academy was destroyed.

Lobot_the_Jedi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.