main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Taking Darth Vaders helmet from Endor...?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Avnar, Oct 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lobot_the_Jedi

Lobot_the_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 1

Nov 30, 2002
    This is what I was thinking as I read through this thread. I doubt Luke told anyone he burned Vader's body on Endor. *MAYBE* he told Han or Leah but, they would not tell anyone else out of respect. There's no reasonable way Kylo could know where the body was burned.

Thus, this seems the most reasonable explanation of how Kylo obtained Vader's lid.

2. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    My gut feeling is this: Shortly after the cremation, Luke told Leia about what he did with the body. Out of curiosity and grappling to deal with Vader as her father (Remember she just found out either that day or the day before), she went and retrieved the helmet and kept it. If Kylo is her son, then that explains the rest. If not, then i don't know, maybe Jar Jar gave it to him.

3. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    perhaps the force led him to it

DaddlerTheDalek and Django Fett like this.
  4. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    There are many paths it could have happened. I assume the hardcore spoiled people know the answer. It's been hinted in this thread already. But it has to be shown or explained. Even in a 30 second scene. I don't think it can be left hanging. It can't be like the plans of the Underpants Elves.

5. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012

EXT. SPACE
    Kylo Ren's command shuttle begins its descent toward Endor's atmosphere.

EXT. Endor - Forest - VADER'S GRAVE - DAY
    Kylo Ren waves hand briefly over grave. Helmet rises out of dirt.

THE END.

6. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Phase 1: Find Helmet
    Phase 2: ??
    Phase 3: Profit

7. Melancholy

Melancholy Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    The scene in the trailer isn't the Academy. It is Endor.

What's the big deal?

A few seconds with Maz mentioning the Knights of Ren going there to get Vader's mask/helmet.

What is it such a mindbender?

People complain about the synopsis, deny it, fight against it, and then use it to say that no Endor scene exists.

How does that make any sense?

There are pictures on page three. It could very well be Teebo.

darthtimetraveller likes this.
  8. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I remember setting up a thread a while back asking about 'The Enigma of Vaders remains'. Isn't this basically the same question?

9. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

The issue is that in writing and editing a film, driving the narrative forward is much, much more important than filling in every tiny plot point, and so between the broad hypothesis above (Luke had the helmet, it was taken from the academy) and the idea that possession of the helmet may well be used as shorthand to show the lengths to which Kylo Ren has gone to feed his Vader obsession, there are ways of using the helmet and Kylo Ren economically that don't involve quick detours to Endor - you could almost hear it on a commentary; "originally we thought of a quick scene on Endor showing Kylo getting the helmet, but though it would have been a nice touch, it slowed the film down a bit, and when we took it out, the scene where Kylo has the helmet works just as well - you kinda think "this guy must have been obsessed to have tracked down this burned out relic""

Here on a forum, we can speculate about loads of backstory bits, and it's all interesting to us, but ultimately what the filmmakers need to do is make sure that there isn't so much lore and backstory that audiences shift in their seats and get bored; there are countless bit of story and speculation that various people on here feel are absolutely necessary of the film is to make sense - we'll probably find that some of the bits we look forward to end up cut just to keep the story focused where it needs to be.

10. Melancholy

Feb 19, 2002
    I'd agree with this if the helmet didn't seem to fit so prominently in the story. It is also important for filmmakers to "show and not just tell" as well.

The fact that there is a scene where Kylo talks to the helmet will make audience members wonder how he has it. An average moviegoer who saw ROTJ once or twice may have even forgotten that Luke burned his father's body.

And I'm not talking a whole scene here. A few seconds mention during Maz's vision/flashback about what the Knights of Ren have been doing would be one tenth the length of the actual talking to the helmet/mask scene.

Who knows what he says to it? Who knows how long it could be? I'm sure that it is more than one or two lines.

darthtimetraveller likes this.
  11. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    What i dont quite understand is some of you seem to think its not important how he got it, imo it is, while i understand the need to keep the story moving this is one pretty big point to gloss over.
    Like, oh yeah kylo went to endor and just grabbed it out of the grave......What? really, you really think its that simple?
    If the rain scene is indeed endor then we have our explanation, the whole thing leads me onto other things like would luke really leave it there and how kylo knew where to find it.
    Ok this is fiction but a mass murderer's grave left for all to come and worship/decimate/whatever, i just dont see it personally but its fun to speculate.

The one thing that makes most sense is the helmet was somewhere the knights ransacked, rather than grave robbing. Personally i think luke may have kept it.

12. Melancholy

Feb 19, 2002
  13. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

W-where? I need to see this, like, YESTERDAY! Thanks.

14. JediRocks74

JediRocks74 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 7, 2015
    The Ewoks sold it Ren for some of those cookies that Leia gave to Wicket in ROTJ. They gave it up gladly after using it as a toilet.

dan1210 likes this.
  15. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Allow people to like what they like and don't question their taste; because it's none of your business.

16. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

I think everyone agrees that the helmet being with Luke at the academy makes the most sense. But if not, I fall the info we have is: Vader's suit was burned on Endor/thirty years later a dark side baddie has the helmet, then that in itself tells you a bit about the backstory - even the fact that we are all in agreement that what would be shown is him going to Endor and finding the helmet shows that this is a blank that is easily filled in: sometimes I think we underestimate a casual moviegoer's ability to comprehend a film they aren't as invested in. If we couldn't all readily agree that if not from the academy, Kylo probably got it from Endor, then maybe there'd be a point.

17. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The site of the old Ewok tribe is long abandoned because its become a Shrine to Vader, with creepy guys dressed in black regularly landing to pay their respects and do creepy Dark Force rituals.

18. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    You know what I hate about sites like Making Star Wars...the fact that it KILLS good theories, conversation and speculation! People take the story as gospel - and while it may all be true it honestly takes the fun out of all the build up... I am thinking of going into the spoiler free section after this film (If we are still allowed??)

Have a read through this thread and watch how people just cut good convo off at the knees :cool:

titansupes and Melancholy like this.
  19. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    So... When asked about Ewoks in TFA JJ replied "Living??...no" I wonder if this still leaves the door open for those that believe it is Ewoks slaughtered on the ground in the rain hmmm

titansupes likes this.
  20. titansupes

titansupes Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2013

Where did he say this?

21. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Why is whoever you're quoting excited about being in a real desert?

22. Darth Early

Darth Early Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 23, 2015
    I'm pretty sure Luke wouldn't hang on to Vader's mask, he probably forgot about its existence. It was buried or left somehow on Endor.

Anyway the mask was dug up or found by pirates of some kind and eventually got in Kylo's hands...this would be a simple and logical explanation.

I'm sure Knights of Ren wouldn't go and dig someones grave up.

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

23. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Well, Vader's helmet and mask were just that. Then Ben Burtt wondered how did Vader breathe why transferring ships at the beginning of ANH. So, the breathalator. And then the costume designer came up with a different mask and breathalator. Lucas liked it and the sound effect designed by Burtt so much he decided to have Vader wear it every scene. Only later did we get the explanation that Vader fell into a volcano. And that was changed in III to a more realistic scene.

But, if there is an actual answer, maybe Max vin Sydow.

dan1210 likes this.
  24. Poe loves Rey

Poe loves Rey Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 6, 2015
    I haven't heard of anyone thinking the KoR slaughter Ewoks lol. The spoiler says they fight The Clan.

25. dan1210

dan1210 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 27, 2015
    Not anything too interesting but on the howard stern interview JJ was asked by a fan 'how many ewoks did kylo have to kill to get vaders helmet' the comment was kind of laughed off by JJ and howard pushed the interview forward without giving him a chance to reply, shame as JJ may have elaborated a little.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.