main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Taking the 'Wars' out of Star Wars

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by dudewalker, Aug 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dudewalker

dudewalker Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 2, 2000
    As we all know, there has been a lot of controversy surrounding the depiction of violence in Star Wars films. In ANH and ESB, the level of violence was arguably more raw and hard-hitting (e.g. the char-grilled bodies of Owen and Beru in ANH and Luke's 'hand job' in ESB) than in ROTJ and TPM, where things were significantly more toned down (e.g. minimal ewok casualties in ROTJ and those droid soldier guys in TPM).

By definition, the Star Wars movies are about wars. Given the war-based title of Ep2, do you think this may signal a return by Lucas to a more realistic depiction of war in AOTC, or do you think he will continue to dodge the Wars and keep his head in the Stars?

2. Republic_Clone_163

Republic_Clone_163 Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2001
    If it's severed limbs and body parts that you want, then this one will not disappoint.

3. yodaman

yodaman Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 26, 1999
    How many Republic Clones are there?

4. Republic_Clone_163

Aug 9, 2001
  5. yodaman

Feb 26, 1999
    I'm hoping you're all different people.

6. Republic_Clone_163

Aug 9, 2001
    We are clones.

7. yodaman

Feb 26, 1999
    So I see...

8. Republic_Clone_2

Republic_Clone_2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2001
    Our numbers are strong, and our wit is stronger!

Dead bodies:

-Zam Wessels Dart Death
    -The tortured body of Shmi
    -A mass of slaughtered sandpeople
    -Jedi shot down and seen lying dead
    -Jangos headless body

9. boushhandlomb

boushhandlomb Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2001
    The worst thing about the toning down of violence was that in the special edition, greedo fires first, to make han solo look like an honourable guy. Anyway, i expect to see more violence in the next two b/c they are darker chapters. i have heard a rumour that ani is going to have an arm chopped off\

10. Republic_Clone_4

Republic_Clone_4 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2001
    Contrary to what you've just seen, war is neither glamorous nor fun. There are no winners; only losers. There are no good wars, with the following exceptions: the American Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars trilogy. If you'd like to learn more about war, there's lots of books in your local library, many of them with cool gory pictures.

11. dudewalker

Jul 2, 2000
    How much of this will we actually see?

I mean, Jango getting his head cut off may be Mace swinging his lightsaber in the air in one scene and in the next, shown picking up Jango's helmet.

I guess my question really is, how far is George willing to present these events in an engaging way?

12. Republic_Clone_163

Aug 9, 2001
    Yeah RC4, I think we had some books on wars in the Clone Classroom back home, didn't we?

13. Republic_Clone_2

Aug 9, 2001
    I hate the Clone Classroom! School sucks! I just want to get out onto the battle field! And Ho! Here I am!

Well, we'll see his headless body lying there, thats the equivalent of Owen and Berus skelletons. Actualy, TPM has one up on both counts, we actualy got to see Maul being sliced in half with a spray of blood to boot! If they can get that in, I think we will see the decapitation properly.

14. Republic_Clone_4

Republic_Clone_4 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2001
    w00t! Decapitation! Much better than charred bodies!

15. yodaman

Feb 26, 1999
    Well I've seen the storyboards so I know what this scene looks like. I don't know for sure if we see Mace's blade make contact with Jango's neck, but I do know we get to see Jango's head bouncing and rolling around on the ground and also get to see his headless body fall to the ground. It's pretty sad cause he seems like a decent guy.

16. dudewalker

Jul 2, 2000
    Can you guys either stick to the topic or go and squeeze some of your zits?

17. Republic_Clone_2

Aug 9, 2001
    Every post so far has been on topic.

And Clones are too old to have zits. We age past puberty very quickly. Sorry to leave you there behinds us.

18. Republic_Clone_6

Republic_Clone_6 Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2001
    Its always raining and miserable here on Kamino, Keep this under your hat, but i've been hearing rumers we're being deployed to a sunny planet with real red sand!

Anyways, this movies violence will far surpass all the OT combined possibly. Theres a freakin slaughter of wowmen and children sandpeople, killer darts that disintigrate bodies, thousands of dead Jedi, decapitation, human soldiers killed, and the yardstick to measure how violent it is compared to the OT, Anakin loses his arm from the elbow downn not some sissy little hand.

19. Republic_Clone_1

Republic_Clone_1 Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2001
    I can't wait to destory the pesky battle droids in the name of the Republic!

An arena full of dead Jedi and other things, would no doubt indicate a more violent Episode. Plus, this is the first battle of your 'Wars' which I look forward to participating in.

20. dudewalker

Jul 2, 2000
    Has anyone got anything sensible to say? Or am I talking to the Jar Jar generation here?

21. Viceroy_Nute_Gunray

Viceroy_Nute_Gunray Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2001
    Dudewalker, your little insurrection is at an end. Give in before it is too late...

22. Senator_PadmeAmidala

Senator_PadmeAmidala Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2001
    Dudewalker,

The Battle of Naboo was the beginning of an open conflict, not war. Unfortunately, the Clone Wars would begin when the Jedi were sent to save me and my Jedi protectors.

It is illegal for the Republic to manufacture army droids which is why I was so frustrated at the lack of effort in the Senate during the early conflicts leading to the Clone Wars. I was to find out though, it was corruption that had these armies made.

The first battle that took place in the Clone Wars happened on a planet called Geonosis. Thousands of brave Jedi lost their lives protecting me and themselves from the Winged Geonosians, Battle Droids, Droidekas, Super Battle Droids and arena creatures put forth by the greedy Confederacy of Independent Systems.

Alas, even my poor handmaiden, Corde was killed at the hands of the Confederacy in an assasination attempt made against me on Coruscant. The assasin was eventually cornered, but disintergrated before any information could be retrieved.

There was much bloodshed in the years leading to the Clone Wars.

Senator Padme Amidala of
    The Sovereign System of Naboo

23. MECHA-SUPERIOR

MECHA-SUPERIOR Jedi Master star 3

Jul 3, 2001
    If the feel and tension level of episode 2 makes Empire seem light, will that leave you satisfied. If Lucas can acomplish this, will it redeem Phantom Menace's light tone by ballancing things out and proving George knows what he is doing. From what we know of the story, the goods are there for a dark tale. It will be all in the delivery. George is not a fool (my opinion). He has always said that the prequels will be extremely dark in nature. Episode one is the calm before the storm. The only episode that could be played light. These last two will be tragic just by the fact that certain elements have to occur----Anakin/vader, wiping out of the jedi, rise of the Emperor, destruction of a family. We will be witnessing the transformation of episode one's galaxy to the original trilogy's. George ain't no fool. I can't believe he would drop the ball on this. Cheer up buddy. It' Star Wars.

24. dudewalker

Jul 2, 2000
    It's one thing to say it, it's another thing to show it.

"My people are dying, senator..."

Where?

25. Wedge007

Wedge007 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 15, 2000
    LMAO!!!

I love these clone socks. They're great. [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.