main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Tale of a Jedi: Volume 1 - Complete

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by red rose knight, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    Title: Tale of a Jedi: Volume I ? Embracing the Light
    Timeframe: 1100+ years before TPM
    Characters: OCs (Ben?al Houk) and others, a brief appearance by Yoda and Obi-Wan
    Genre: Drama, Action
    Keywords: Original Characters
    Summary: The first in a series of short stories on the life of Ben?al Houk, a Jedi who live more than 1100 years before the events of TPM. This story is about how he came into possession of the legendary lightsaber, the Prak?sha, and earned the title of Sith killer.

The usual disclaimers apply. George Lucas owns it all; I am not making any money on this.

Author?s Note: This is the first of hopefully several short stories of 5-10 posts each on the life of Ben?al Houk. He first appeared in The Long Twilight Path and also appears in Wild Knights: Grasping an Ancient Fire.

2. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Tale of a Jedi: Volume I

Embracing the Light

Prologue

Like all stories, there are beginnings and there are endings, and the tale of Ben?al Houk begins long after it has ended, where human failings have been wiped away and painted with the glossy veneer of legend. Flesh and blood is but stone and memory, left to the dreams of greatness and the imaginations of younger generations. Truth faded and drawn thin with time, tragedy and sacrifice all but forgotten.

The air scrubbed by an intricate recycling system still held a trace of mustiness as it slipped from the safety of labyrinthine ducts that flowed through the ancient Jedi Temple. The cool air circulated through the upper levels of the Council of First Knowledge Tower. The skyward reaching spire housed the nearly infinite knowledge of the Jedi Archives.

Levels high above stacks of electronically stored information and treasury rooms filled with ancient texts, stood the Renaissance Gallery where effigies of great Jedi resided.

The deep bronze figures rose silently from their pedestals over the soft blue-gray carpet and surrounding columns along the edges of the massive chamber.

In the center of the chamber stood the stylized figure of Dormus Escario himself, the patriarch of the modern Jedi Code. The kindly old face of the long lived, Ryemeol master greeted everyone who entered the gallery. At his side stood his former apprentice, Chak?Bra?Ikal. The statue of the Chalactan woman held a stack of handwritten journals in her hands?a silent nod the master?s rescue of her dead teacher?s writings.

The giant figures were only two of many that dotted the chamber. Images of long dead Jedi who had with or without intent, reformed ideas in the Jedi Order, making it what it was. The philosophy of the great Jedi and their Bendu predecessors were still taught in countless classes and seminars within and outside the Temple.

The bronze images of the honored figures stood in silent repose quietly watching as descendants of their philosophy moved silently about, some only to put faces to the teaching, others seeking the quiet for meditative purposes, and for some, the sheer awe of their first exploration of the great Temple.

The shuffle of tiny, moccasin-clad feet invaded the quiet of the Gallery as a lone Twi?lek knight lead four younglings through the maze of looming figures that commanded the room. The straggling line of tans and creams, accented by deep purple, wound about the motionless figures as the students followed their teacher deeper into the large chamber.

?Stay close,? Knight Mahli, a young green skinned Twi?lek said as she glanced back over her cloaked shoulder at her twisting tail.

The younglings said nothing as awe glittered in their eyes. Short fingers gripped one another as they wandered close to their teacher and past the round pedestals the statues stood upon.

The dark eyes of a young Zabrak girl lingered on the various plates affixed to each base, telling a little about each silent figure. Her horned crest, mere nubs rising along her forehead and in her long, dark brown hair that was tightly tied back and wrapped in tan cord, swinging along her small tan clothed back. She paused, turning her cherubic face toward the gentle expression of Dormus.

The stubby hand of a ginger haired, human boy grabbed the girl?s wrist and pulled her back to the group.

Soft shadows littered the carpet from the cool inset lighting of the high arching ceiling. The younglings took care to avoid the shadows, choosing literally to walk in the light. At the sight, Mahli stifled a small smile. At such a young age, they were innocent and very impressionable. Master Yoda?s teachings on the Light and the Dark side of the Force had left their imprint, although she doubted the ancient master had meant they should avoid walking in shadows.

When Mahli stopped, so did her small charges, they lined up next to her as they had often been instructed but curious faces twisted about taking in the images

3. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Not that I ever expect anything different, now - but that was truly magnificent, Red. I loved the image of the initiates walking through the gallery, drawn by the statue of Houk. I can't wait to see your take on the early years of the Order - I'm sure it will be another wonderful ride.

Cheers,

Shaindl

4. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    It's here!!!!! :) Hooked from the very first paragraph. Nay, the first sentence! And I imagine those who respond after me will say the same, because, of course, this has started out as nothing less than utterly lyrical.

Hmmm, I'll bet that little brown-haired boy was Garen, because he knows how to read the Benedaact script now ;) And that last line makes me wonder if his wife was Lady Kavara. If so, that's a very chilling parallel to the Book of Paths series, with Obi-Wan and Halla, plus all the sadness and sacrifices. But I hope the part about the best friend never parallels with Obi-Wan's life!

I especially was drawn in by the description of the statue--mostly because I'm a classics geek who likes to stare at statues in museums for hours. The "Renaissance" part caught my eye, too. A term like that would lead one to expect larger-than-life and beyond-anything-you-could-have-ever-imagined artwork. Instead, Ben'al Houk has been forever immortalized as an ordinary man. Then again, he was about to get shipped off to Jedi storage :eek: Even so, the image carved into the stone is in complete contrast to the title of "Sith killer."

Wow! All these ideas! I can't wait to read more :)

edit: I keep thinking of more to say :p

5. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Wonderful beginning Red ! Loved the brief look at tiny Obi and Garen and can't wait to have the whole tragic story unfold. :)

6. Flashbacca

Flashbacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    AAAAAAAH!

It's finally here!

Happiness, Joy, Euphoria

Master red as usual your prose is absolutely breath-stealing!!

Marvelous, cannot WAIT for this to develop. Is going to be an excellent, albiet sad, story. Just the way we like it - heartwrenching, gut-twisting, pass the Kleenex please story :D

7. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    The beginning had a magical, fairytale start to it.

8. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    another story to add to my list to keep track of to read as you post. Its a wonderful story. and I think it will continue to be a wonderful story. I look forward to more.

9. Ashes

Ashes Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 10, 2003
    Wow!

10. Jinjur

Jinjur Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2002
    With all due apologies to Gilbert and Sullivan:

Oh, joyous boon! oh, mad delight;
    Oh, sun and moon! oh, day and night!
    Rejoice, rejoice with me!
    Proclaim our joy, ye birds above--
    Yet brooklets, murmur forth our love,
    In choral ecstasy.

8-}

11. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    With writing like this you need to be published! It felt like a fairy tale. I'm totally drawn into the story and can't wait to find out more about Ben'al and his life's sacrifices. We "saw" how he died, in vivid detail, in Paths...it will be fascinating to see how he lived.

12. Calantha

Calantha Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2002
    Wonderful start! :D I was hoping you'd write a story about Ben'al too, ever since I read the Book of Paths.

Is it not enough that you asked me to hunt down and kill my best friend? Now you must ask me to murder my wife, the mother of my child?

The second part sounds like it parallels Obi-Wan and Halla in the Book of Paths - is the first part a reference to Obi-Wan and Anakin in canon?

~Calantha :)

13. ca_tron

ca_tron Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 6, 2002
    :eek:
    *speechless*
    :eek:

14. ca_tron

Dec 6, 2002
    Upping for ya!

15. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Yay!!! New Red reader trauma. let's see if i'm ready for this.

bungee cord - check
    reinforced froggy fingers for cliff clinging - check
    tissues - check
    ladder to get off of ceiling with - check
    earplugs for the screams of agony for readers who forget to tie both ends of their bungee cords - check
    lily pad to hide under - check

okay, i'm ready

now, what am i forgetting.....

16. ca_tron

Dec 6, 2002
    Lots and lots of food? I know I'm prepared. I went to Sam's Club and bought a lot of food. I know I'm going to have to wait awhile and my roomie was tired of me eating her food. :D
    *looks around to see if she is missing anything*
    Oh yes...almost forgot.
    *grabs Obi to cuddle with during scary/romantic parts*
    I also brought him along so when red drops us off a cliff, he'll catch me. :D

17. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    you forgot to look behind you froggy... hee hee

18. ca_tron

Dec 6, 2002
    Nother post soon red? :D

19. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    Need more, red. Pretty please!?!?! :D

20. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Working on a post now. Hopefully I will have it up tomorrow evening.

If it would coopoerate! :mad:

21. Reformed

Reformed Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 1999
    Now that is the _best_ news I've heard all day.

22. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    behind me? what could possibly be behind meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!!!!!!

** froggy looks up at the rapidly disappearing PK as she plummets down the cliff....

23. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
  24. ca_tron

Dec 6, 2002
    *watches froggy and PK disappear down the cliff*
    [face_devil]
    *throws two parachutes down*
    [face_devil]
    Post soon Red?

25. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    Thanks Ca-tron. Froggy keeps forgeting to tie off her bungee cord securely. Every time I walk up with an offer to help, she inexplicably dives off a cliff :confused: or is that [face_innocent/angel]?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.