main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tales #13 Discussion (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Amidala Starkiller, Sep 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    This issues is going to center around Mace Windu :)

Let's hope it really does ship tomorrow ;)

2. Myaha

Myaha Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2002
    Argh!

I live in Munich/Germany and my Tales #13 issue will arrive Monday next weak (if I'm lucky) :(

but when I think about this poor suckers who can't read english and have to wait for the german translation *hehe*

perhaps waiting till Monday isn't that bad at all :)

3. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    I hope it's in tomorrow. Mace is awesome. :cool:

Could somebody tell me this though... how many Tales issues are done per TPB? 4 issues? I'm curious, because once it's to the point where new issues go into a Tales PB #4, I'll probably stop buying them individually.

~*~Bria

4. Amidala Starkiller

Dec 11, 1999
    Well the first issue was #1-4 and second was #5-8

So I guess is depends on the length of the issue.

5. cmulligan01

cmulligan01 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 1998
    Each original issue of Tales is the same size and each TPB accounts for four issues. Tales Vol. 3 is coming out in a few months with Tales #9 to 12 in it.

6. Amidala Starkiller

Dec 11, 1999
  7. Amidala Starkiller

Dec 11, 1999
    I got mine. :D

All and all it was a good issue. I liked 'Stones' and 'Childern of the Force' best.

And the opening with Dave Land and Yoda was pretty funny. I laughed out loud in the comic store.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I agree- Stones and Children of the Force were excellent.

Sith in Shadow wasn't that bad either.

Survivors was ok.

Secret of Tet Ami was fun.

I didn't care much for Puzzle Peace. Wasn't fond of the art style or Mace's solution to the problem- I mean, that was rather cruel I think.

I hope Children of the Force gets inserted into continuity...very good plot threads there, love to see it followed up on.

9. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    Bummer... I guess then I won't be buying this one, since the cut off for TPB #3 was issue 12. :(

I like Mace and was looking forward to this one... well... maybe I'll sneak a peak at my comic shop. :D

~*~Bria

10. Nerf-Lover

Nerf-Lover Star Wars Comic Writer star 1 VIP

Sep 6, 2001
    Amidala Starkiller wrote:
    All and all it was a good issue. I liked 'Stones' and 'Childern of the Force' best.

I'm glad you enjoyed "Children of the Force" -- thanks for the kind words! I've got another story coming up in Tales #14 this December -- "The Emperor's Court".

The2ndQuest wrote:
    I agree- Stones and Children of the Force were excellent.

I hope Children of the Force gets inserted into continuity...very good plot threads there, love to see it followed up on.

Thanks very much! I wanted to take a different look at the idea of the Jedi starting to train subjects at such an early age -- and what that would realistically mean for the parents (and for the children). And along with that, just because the Jedi think their actions are proper and for the best interest of the galaxy, etc. -- that doesn't necessarily mean everyone agrees with them...or that the Jedi are always right. I think "ego" comes into play a bit with the Jedi, if you really think about it.

Glad you liked the story!

-- Jason H.

11. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Summeries, anyone?

TC

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Should also add that, from Stones, Hurikane is probably the coolest planet name since Despayre ::)

Ok, summaries-

SPOILERS!!!!!!!

PUZZLE PEACE

In Yoda's quarters, he and Mace discuss Mace's talks with warring factions of Er'Stacians, who quarrel over a Megalith. Mace then tells what happened- after arriving there, he found himself in the midst of a large ground battle. He attempted to halt the fight with the force- and temporarily succeeds. They explain that they fight over which clan will own this megalith (a large religious statue of their god). Mace threatens to slice it in half so that both sides can have part of it. Then they start arguing about who would get what portions. After a stray bolt accidentally hits a chunk off the megalith (and the shooter shortly torn limb from limb by the crowd), Mace sees that they unite in repairing the small chunk back to the statue. Seeing this, Mace chops the statue into a thousand pieces, to give them alot to unite about.

SECRET OF TET-AMI

A holonet-like program starts, with an alien Geraldo-ish host who is reporting from the site where a 4,000 year old temple is being excavated and is about to be opened live. The temple is made in honor of Tet-Ami, the "Time Guardian" (shown to be someone weilding a lightsaber in wall craving depictions) who saved the armies of Carthas from a plague of evil beasts. They hope to find the body of Tet-Ami or perhaps even the legendary "Orb of Passage" that allowed him to control time.

Meanwhile, Mace uses a holomap to quietly naviagte through the archeaologists, and finds his way to a temple wall, sliding a rock lever, gaining access to the temple. He enters a passageway, accidentally activating a boobytrap of battledroids that were posing as statues. After disposing of them he enters another chamber where a statue of Mace Windu stands. Mace takes a glowimng green stone and places it in the outreached hand of the Mace statue. It glows bright green, engulfing Mace in light.

After the light fades, Mace wfinds himself in the midst of a battle between a Carthas army and a horde of attacking beasts. After 4 days of combat, he is cheered as Tet-Ami. Mace then is reengulfed in the light and returns to modern day just as the archealologists break through the wall.

Back on Coruscant in the council chamber, Yoda explains that the temple was first found by Jedi centuries ago, and protected its secrets by removing the Orb and storing it safe until they knew that a Jedi KNight called Mace Windu would be. So, the time paradox was maitained. A Jedi must always start the job he finishes.

SURVIVORS

Two permieter guards in a fortress watch as who they believe is a bounty hunter approaches the base, surviving several traps and dangers. Meanwhile a narration speaks of a man who had done terrible crimes and murdered many, many people, and how he must be held accountable for his crimes.Eentually Mace makes his way into the fortress (after using a jedi mind trick to convicne the permeter guards that they were meant to guard against outsiders from invading the fortress, and since he was already inside, he's obviously nota threat). Mace comes face to face with Uda-Khalid. He claims there was no evidence that he commited the crimes. No survivors, no witnesses. Mace replies "none?" as hundreds of ghostly apparitions of Uda's victims appear, marching behind Mace. Uda engages a wrist energy blade weapon and tries to battle Mace. Mace outmanuevers him and stabs Uda in his heart- even though it was a small target.

STONES

Basicly tells how Mace got his lightsaber crystal. It's him looking back at himself then- cocky and arrogant. He goes to Hurikane in search of a crystal to construct his lightsaber with. He's chased by and attacked by two rock-like aliens. Mace manages to elude them by jumping over a chasm. One tries to follow and falls down into it, breaking itself apart. Mace climbs his way down and reassambles the creature with an intense use of the force. Happy to be reunited with it's comrades, they give Mace his purple cryst

13. MattPeriolat

MattPeriolat Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 16, 2001
    I was a bit disappointed with the book. I like Mace, but I guess I just want more variety. The stories were great, but with that darn Infinities label makes me wonder if any of them even are real and if none of them are real...

*sighs* Down with Infinities!

14. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Local shop didn't have it. I complained. I'll get it off TFAW soon.

15. VILLIEMACE

VILLIEMACE Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2001
    When in the star wars timeline do you suppose any of these stories took place?

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Puzzle Piece is hard to say when it takes place- probably between TPM and AOTC.

The Secret of Tet-Ami is proably the same...although possibly prior to TPM.

Survivors looks like it is before he was a master since he identifys himself as a Jedi Knight.

Stones takes place when he was 14 years old.

Hard to say when The Sith in the Shadow takes place...all we know is it's probably after he's joined the council.

Children of the Force is pre-TPM since Depa is still a padawan.

17. Guy DuBlanc

Guy DuBlanc Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 12, 2000
    The Tim Bradstreet cover was awesome. Looked exactly like Mace.

I thought the interior art was okay. Could've been better. Too many cartoony styles, especially in the first story. The Sith one had a manga style that looked good. Zulli's work on the Stone story was alright. Children of the Force had a pretty good art style.

Now, didn't Mace have a blue lightsaber in TPM? Granted we don't see it in the movie, but I thought the EU always depicted him that way. The Stone story seems to say that he always had a purple saber. And yes, I realize it's Infinities, but we can TRY to make it fit, can't we?

I thought it was cool how all the stories were about Mace. TALES should do this with some other characters every once in a while.

Overall: A decent issue of TALES, not greatness, but not bad either.

18. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

NO WAY! The Michael Zulli, featured in the Sandman comics!? He's gotta be like my second fav comic artist, kudos to Darkhorse if it's true! I've gotta find this issue already!

~PAd

19. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Got my copy of Tales #13 today and read it during work (us tech support people are already thought of as slackers, figure I'd go the extra mile and bring my own comic) and I throughly enjoyed it. I just love seeing Mace in action, but now I'm itching for more issues of Tales exclusively featuring other Jedi. I'd love to see other solo adventures featuring Plo Koon, Saesee Tiin, Oppo Rancisis, and Yarael Poof.

Hell, they should just do a whole mini-series devoted to solo adventures of the other Council members, lots of story potential there which could fill quite a few issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.