Amph Tales From Distant Earth - The Arthur C. Clarke discussion thread

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Strilo, Mar 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Golden_Jedi Force Ghost

star 4
    Sorry, I read it in spanish and missed with the re-translation of the title! :D

JediNemesis: the ending of TLoOD was definitely weird. Although he is a master in capturing the scientific/government/military ambience.
  2. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I have been considering going back through Clarke's catalog and reading it all over again. LOL! That would take a while for sure!
  3. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
  4. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Yeah! Come on ya nerds! There's loads to talk about in this thread. Arthur C Clarke is a Grand Master of Science Fiction. Just the other day I found myself in a discussion with someone about Childhood's End.
  5. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Which book of his is the best to start with?
  6. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Wow that's a toughie. There are so many good ones. If you are not going to start with the Space Odyssey series (2001) then I would say Rendezvous With Rama.
  7. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Okay. I just had someone else (JediNemesis) rave about them, so I'll have to check them out :)
  8. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    You could stop after the first Rama book, some of the rest have good moments, but I thought the quality of the story dropped off. I suppose they are worth the read if you really feel the need for some kind of closure or you could staop with the first book to leave it all ambiguous.
  9. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I liked the rest of them enough to read them. Rama II especially was pretty good.
  10. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
  11. Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yay!! Let's rant about Maestro!! [face_laugh]

So, did anyone read his last work, The Last Theorem? I've heard that it wasn't really a credit to his career.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.