main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarkSide_Apprentice, Aug 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Greedo is named in the cut scene, and the DVD describes it as Greedo. And it's George Lucas' intent that this is ANH Greedo. There's no ignoring it. It's a continuity error, and will be hard to officially fix, IMO.

2. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I've got a few posts in another thread, but here's basically what I said:

#1 The scene was cut from the movie.
    #2 The scene was not put back into the movie on the DVD.
    #3 Greedo was not mentioned in any of the published versions of the scene.
    #4 The Official site's Databank hasn't changed.
    #5 It is contradicted by the Greedo tale in TFTMEC.
    #6 TFN, who has, presumably, inside information, says that the cut scenes are not meant to be a part of the continuity.

So...

It didn't happen. I don't have a problem with it.

TC

3. DarkSide_Apprentice

DarkSide_Apprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2001
    So what is this with Greedo?

Never mind, just think about my question and give me an answer.

4. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I find it amusing that they describe Tatooine in this book as being so empty because it was written before the SE.

5. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Well, it is rather empty when you consider that the only civilization is a cluster of towns in a small section of the planet. The rest is barren desert. IMO, I thought the SE linked up with Tales... just fine.

And Talon...Most cut scenes are still within continuity. If they are used in other sources ( as this Greedo scene is ) then they still happened. Maybe not in "Movie Canon", but definetly "EU continuity".

6. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    >And Talon...Most cut scenes are still within continuity. If they are used in other sources ( as this >Greedo scene is ) then they still happened. Maybe not in "Movie Canon", but definetly "EU >continuity".

Yes, my point is that the Rodain is not named Greedo in any of the published versions of the scene. He's Wald, according to Anakin's journal.

TC

7. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    He's Greedo in one of the kid's books. I forget which one. It's like one of the really young kid's books, kind of like Jar Jar's Mistake.

He's unnamed in most sources that describe the scene. ( Novelization, Qui-Gon comic one-shot etc. )

He's Wald in Anakin's Journal ( which can't be right because Wald watches the fight happen in the film. )

And he's Greedo in the cut scene. So...

8. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    >He's Greedo in one of the kid's books.

Yup. Itty-bitty kids book. Lift the flaps kinda thing. It doesn't have the fight, just a "look, there's Greedo" line.

>He's unnamed in most sources that describe the scene. ( Novelization, Qui-Gon comic one-shot >etc. )

Ahem. That's what I've been saying.

>He's Wald in Anakin's Journal ( which can't be right because Wald watches the fight happen in the >film. )
    >And he's Greedo in the cut scene. So...

The key word there is CUT. I wouldn't be arguing this point if some of the other cut scenes hadn't been put back into the film on the DVD.

TC

9. Ian_Ball

Ian_Ball Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    Well, we can see the reason the afore mentioned scene was cut...key word..CUT...it has just as much to do with the movie as the Christmas special.

10. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Well how do you explain the other stuff then?

In the novelization and comics, Anakin fights with a Rodian. This is within continuity.

Then we get a cut scene on a DVD with completed effects, and it's all laid out before our eyes.

Which one do you follow? I follow them all, but especially the actual filmed scene.

Just because ice wampa scenes were cut from ESB, or a sandstorm reunion was cut from ROTJ...doesn't mean that they didn't happen.

11. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    >Well, we can see the reason the afore mentioned scene was cut...key word..CUT...it has just as >much to do with the movie as the Christmas special.

Yes! Yes! Exactly. Except for the SWHS bit. That is, hard to believe though it may be, a part of the continuity.

>Well how do you explain the other stuff then?

I think I have been doing that for most of this thread.

>In the novelization and comics, Anakin fights with a Rodian. This is within continuity.

Right.

>Then we get a cut scene on a DVD with completed effects, and it's all laid out before our eyes.

Completed effects? LOL. What effects needed to be completed?

>Which one do you follow? I follow them all, but especially the actual filmed scene.

I'd follow it right up to the Greedo part.

>Just because ice wampa scenes were cut from ESB, or a sandstorm reunion was cut from >ROTJ...doesn't mean that they didn't happen.

Yes, but they weren't contradicted by something else.

TC

12. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    <<Completed effects? LOL. What effects needed to be completed?
    >>

All the cut scenes on the DVD needed the effects by ILM added. There's not much in the Greedo scene, aside from some salvage droids carrying Podracer wreckage over Mos Espa as Anakin walks towards his house.

<<Yes, but they weren't contradicted by something else. >>

That just means we need a continuity fix. If not official, then an unofficial one. Which I have been doing. I will not ignore this scene, or Greedo, in the scheme of things.

13. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    What about GL inentionally CUTTING the scene OUT, BECAUSE it would contradict a canon EU source.
    Weak argument, granted, but GL may have a slight trace of insight into the EU. Have faith in The Flanneled One.

14. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    No. Lucas didn't cut this because of a continuity conflict. In fact, if he knew of Greedo's story, he wouldn't have written or shot the scene in the first place.

It was cut because it showed Anakin being too violent too early in the story ( as opposed to Episodes II and III ) and probably because it was corny to have a young Vader and Greedo have a fight.

But like I said, in most cases, cut scenes do not matter in the overall scheme of continuity. They still happened, more or less. You can ignore Greedo and pretend he's an unnamed Rodian if you like, but I for one will not ignore Lucas' original intent for the scene, and my unofficial rationale is that it's Greedo's father, named...Greedo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.