main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Tales from the New Jedi Order - current story: Idle Hands, post 3 of 4, by Sache8 (1/9)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi_Anakin_Solo, Sep 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    Mmm...

Interesting, very interesting...

:D

Is it too soon to ask for more?

2. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    Everything's sad when you're suffering from a concussion, Wompymeister. ;)

3. womp_rat208

womp_rat208 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 1999
    Ah, well that explains it.

And, may I ask, why were you up at 6 am?

4. Mcily_Nochi

Sep 23, 2001
    8 AM my time. ;) I had a 9:00 class and got ready too fast. ;)

5. Sache8

Sache8 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2000
    Yay! Awesome start, you three. :D

(I have officially written the first paragraph of my contribution ;))

6. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Excellent stories, all three of you...looking forward to more.

7. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
  8. Mcily_Nochi

Sep 23, 2001
    Thank you, Rogue Jedi!

Rumor has it Sache is writing her piece, so we shouldn't have too much longer to wait. :)

9. Sache8

Mar 19, 2000
    Rumor would be right. It's not quite finished yet, though, so hang in there :)

10. Mcily_Nochi

Sep 23, 2001
    Yeah, the rumor actually came straight from Kev, so I was pretty sure it was true. ;)

Up!

11. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
  12. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2001
    All righty, I was actually holding off posting this to try to give other authors a chacne to complete pieces, but since there's been some time issues, I'm going to go ahead and start posting this piece.

The next short story is actually a collab by myself and womp_rat208. I wrote Parts I and III, and he wrote Parts II and IV, and hopefully everyone will enjoy it. The story is set just after Balance Point. Enjoy :).

[b]Unlikely Allies

Part I

by Jedi_Anakin_Solo[/b]

Every single civilian ship that could get out already had, but two X-wings, a custom shuttle, and one Corellian freighter still gave the Yuuzhan Vong everything they could dish out above the death and disaster that was the remains of Duro. In the cockpit of one of those X-wings, a young Jedi warrior sank deeply into the Force, letting it guide his hands as he hammered at his enemies and corkscrewed out of the way before they could hammer back. Despite everything that had happened in the past few hours, Anakin Solo fought on with a cool determination of a seasoned veteran, despite his mere sixteen years of age.

His comlink crackled, and his Uncle?s voice called, ?Break off, Anakin. Good job.?

Anakin peeled his X-wing away from the engagement, settling into the now-familiar formation with the [i]Jade Shadow[/i] at point and his X-wing at one flank, Uncle Luke?s at another.

Now that there was no more fighting to do, no more need to concentrate, Anakin let out a sigh and allowed his concentration to slip. He no longer needed the deadly edge of Force-aided combat, and Aunt Mara had taught him to only use the Force when he really needed it. It was at that moment that he felt his brother?s Force-presence brush his tentatively, reaching out and probing what must look like a calming storm to him. Anakin reached back, thinking, [i]You did great, Jacen. Mom?s lucky you were there.[/i] He wasn?t sure if Jacen understood, but maybe he at least got the general idea.

Then the [i]Falcon[/i] leapt to hyperspace, leaving Duro and the trio of Jedi behind. ?Where to?? Anakin asked as he brought up his navicomputer ? he was more than happy that that was one of the many upgrades made for the XJ model of X-wings.

?Corellia for now,? Luke replied. ?Your brother and sister will be joining us for a return to Coruscant almost immediately. It?s not safe where your father is going to try to get medical attention for your mom. Not safe for Jedi ? especially famous ones.?

A twinge of guilt hit Anakin then. Since the battle had started, he hadn?t had time to think of his mother. He knew she was injured, possibly badly, but didn?t know the full extent of it. He hoped she would be all right. She had to be all right.

?Anakin?? Luke probed.

?I?m ready,? Anakin replied, imputing the coordinates.

The last combat unit finally left Duro space, conceding a defeat that had been inevitable from the beginning. This was beginning to become an all too familiar pattern. Defend, fall back. Defend, fall back. Anakin was getting tired of running, no matter how much of a military necessity it was. The New Republic?s most decisive ?victories? had all been last-ditch defenses or retreats. That was going to have to change, and soon.

The Vong were running out of space between them and Coruscant.

[hr]

Four ships were easy enough to miss, especially on the night side of Corellia. The Jedi trio followed Han to a hospital whose staff included an old friend and Jedi sympathizer who would be more than happy to treat Leia while hiding the fact that she had been admitted under his care. At the main entrance, the Solos and Skywalkers embraced each other, not often having a chance to gather together in this war torn galaxy, even though they were notably missing one member. It appeared as if Leia?s injuries had been enough to incapacitate her, which only multiplied Anakin?s fears.

?How is she?? he asked, his voice barely above a whisper.

Jacen looked down, not able to meet Anakin?s gaze, and his father answered, ?She?ll survive. That was the first thing

13. Mcily_Nochi

Sep 23, 2001
    I think if I just grin and say "Awwwwwwww!" then you'll know exactly what I mean. ;)

Very well-written and an intriguing start to this short story. I'm curious to see where it will go from here!

14. _3MD_PsychoSniper

_3MD_PsychoSniper Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Lets not wait.

Keep upping it.

UP!!!!!!!

15. Sache8

Mar 19, 2000
    Great beginning, Kev. Brings back fond NJO memories of several years ago... back when I was still genuinely interested... :p

16. _3MD_PsychoSniper

Oct 25, 2003
    Lucas BETTER bring Anikan back.
    He was to good to kill off.
    Shoulda killed Fel'ya off.
    Or maybe Lando or Leia/Han

(Prepares for massive spam repisal for that suggestion)

17. Tahiri-Solo

Tahiri-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    wow, i like this!! be looking back for more good stories!!

18. womp_rat208

Nov 8, 1999
    Well, psychosniper, all I have to say is, they DID kill Fel'ya off. ;)

19. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Yep. They killed Fey'lya. So they have some sense, at least...

Excellent story, J_A_S! I liked the dialogue between Anakin and Jacen.

20. womp_rat208

Nov 8, 1999
    Unlikely Allies

Part II

by womp_rat208

*[face_flag]=*[face_flag]=*[face_flag]=***

The noisy cantina was the perfect spot. With all the commotion, and the fact that Coruscant didn't sleep, nobody would notice one inconspicuous, hooded customer sitting at the same booth all day. He bought drinks regularly, to keep the owner happy, but kept his attention focused on the datapad sitting in front of him. To anyone who caught a fleeting glance at it, it would appear that he was simply watching a two-dimensional broadcast of some sort. While rare, they were by no means extinct.

This datapad, however, was connected to half a dozen micro-probe droids. They all had one objective: watch Anakin Solo. The teenager had managed to collect a two-hundred-thousand bounty on his young head. While it was still lower then his brother's half a million, Jacen was much more careful about where he went, and in the past week, hadn't left the Solo's apartment. Anakin routinely wandered around, alone. While certainly not defenseless, the boy should've known better.

This bounty had been high enough to convince Boba Fett it was worth coming out of retirement to go after. It seemed ironic that it was one of Han Solo's sons he now pursued.

The week's worth of surveillance had shown him some of Anakin's favorite spots. The main one being the spaceport hanger where his X-wing was stored. That appeared to be where he was heading this evening. A thin smile spread on Fett's lips. He had been waiting for this night to come.

Dropping a few credits on the table, he got up and walked out, stuffing the datapad into a pocket. The cantina was on the route Anakin routinely traveled. This made it all too easy to set a trap. A glance at the datapad showed him the Jedi was in his X-wing, just sitting there. Good.

Ducking down an alley, Fett pulled the loose cloak over his head, revealing his trademark Mandalorian armor. The scars and dings on the armor were proof of his years of experience. A handful of Wookiee pelts hung from his right shoulder, something that usually intimidated his prey. He had a feeling the young Solo wouldn't blink twice, though.

Because the Jedi was such a skilled combatant, Fett had upgraded some of his weapons. Where his pack once contained a missile, it now housed extra fuel. There was no way he would hit a Jedi with a missile, and he knew the fuel would help. Assuming some idiot didn't randomly hit his pack and make it malfunction. His traditional blaster had been traded in for a brand new model from BlasTech, which he had promptly stripped down and customized. No one knew how to make a good blaster anymore. The final addition to his personal armory was a Golan Arms' flechette launcher. He figured that would strain anyone's Force abilities, even the supposed, "Savior of the Galaxy."

He had one more piece of equipment, which would come in handy later. As it was, Anakin had left the hanger and was on his way home now. Time to strike.

Anakin passed by the end of the alley. Stepping out behind him, Fett raised his blaster and fired a stun shot at him. The Jedi had already leapt up and onto an awning by the time the rapidly expanding stun blast would have hit him. Fett had assumed this, but figured if the boy was unaware enough to get hit by it, it would make the night easy. As it was, the Jedi was already back on the ground with his lightsaber lit.

"What do you want?" Anakin called out.

"What do you think?" Fett answered, his voice coming out with a metallic twinge. He flicked the blaster off of stun and fired half a dozen bolts at the boy. He deflected all of them into the ground, but none back at Fett interestingly enough. Flipping the blaster over his shoulder and into the holster on his jetpack, he switched to the flamethrower on his wrist. He flew up into the air and over the Jedi, lighting up the night with a stream of flame.

Constantly moving, Anakin put his saber away and worked his way in a constant circle around Fett. He never slowed down, keeping just ahead of

21. _3MD_PsychoSniper

Oct 25, 2003
    Well, Fett just set course for trouble.

He has no luc with Solo's.

Ani is proably leading him into a trap.

And what did y'all mean Fel'ya was kiled off ?

I only have 5 of the NJO books, and Fel'ya (unfortunatly) lived through all of em.
    Which one did he die off in ? I gotta buy it.

22. Tahiri-Solo

Tahiri-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001

:eek:

oh no!!!

Anakins in trouble yet again!!

23. Mcily_Nochi

Sep 23, 2001
    Some Jedi kids just can't seem to keep out of trouble. Tsk tsk. Anakin reminds me of the average male college student. ;)

24. SpeldoriontheBlended

SpeldoriontheBlended Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    Way cool, this is. Can anyone post?

25. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2001
    Since _3MD_PsychoSniper wanted to know, Fey'lya was killed in Star by Star which, unfortunately, also has the dubious distinction of being the book during which Anakin was killed.

And SpeldoriontheBlended-- I'm glad you're interested, but no, for the sake of organization not just anyone can post a story on this thread, all of this was more or less planned out about a month ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.