main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tales From the New Republic

Discussion in 'Literature' started by muuurgh8150, Mar 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muuurgh8150

muuurgh8150 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2002
    Just yesterday, I checked out "Tales from the New Republic" from my library. The first tale in the book is called "Interlude at Darkknell", written by Timothy Zahn, and Michael Stackpole. The summary of that tale is this:
    Senator Garm Bel Iblis, believed dead at the hands on an Imperial assassin, teams up with Hal Horn in a duel against the Empire's most dangerous agent. At stake are the plans for a terrifying new weapon called the Death Star - and the fate of both the Empire and the New Republic.

Now, I haven't read the tale yet, but from the sound of it, it has many flaws in it. First and foremost, it takes place in the early day's of the Rebellion, so the New Republic hasn't even been formed yet. Secondly, If i remember correctly, In the Han Solo Triligy, a team led by Bria Theron captures the plans to the death star. Wouldn't these two stories conflict with each other?

2. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    It's okay, it doesn't

3. muuurgh8150

Feb 4, 2002
    Alright Thank you. That was the exact reason that i didn't start reading any of the comics at first. I thought they would contradict with the novels. but later I found that they still all came together, and that made it alright.

4. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I hate Tales From The NR, frankly because it doesn't feature the NR!

5. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
  6. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    No, but it's about the very essence of what the NR was about.

7. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Still I expected to at least see One freken NR starfighter or troop!

8. Miin_Bodenna

Miin_Bodenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2002
    Read no disentigrations please, an awsome story.

Fett finally takes on a foe who can challenge him...

An imperial Garrison.

Miin Bodenna
    Co-CEO of Massassi

9. palpatineson

palpatineson Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2001
    So you don't considered Darth Vader a foe that can challenge Boba Fett, huh?

TotNR is not that bad, but me, for all the Tales non-graphic novels, I liked Tales of the Bounty Hunters. All except Fett's anyway.

10. MynDonos

MynDonos Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2002
    are you kidding? please tell me you are kidding. boba fett's tale was the absolute best story i have ever read, and that is saying a lot. why didnt you like it?

11. MysteryWhiteBoy8

MysteryWhiteBoy8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2001
    the Fett story was good, but it seemed a little oblique to me as well. It wasnt' nearly as good as the Dengar one.

12. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 4, 2002
    Interlude at darknell was a great story, and tales from the NR was one of the best EU books ever!

13. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >One story I know isn't there yet is "Captive of Evil," the Princess >Leia journal by Scholastic Books.

That's ok, Ghengis; it does little more then recap the events of the radio drama.

TC

14. Halcoholic

Halcoholic Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    I own all of the "Tales of..." books, and I consider "Tales of the Bounty Hunters" to be the best of them all, followed by "Mos Eisley Cantina", "Jabba's Palace", "NR", and finally "Empire". Why?

"Tales of the Bounty Hunters" gives the reader new insights into each of the hunters the stories focus on (except for Bossk's, that was worthless crap).

15. Senator_Elegos_A-Kla

Senator_Elegos_A-Kla Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 18, 2001
    There is one tied in with the New Republic. The one with Dirk Hrakness and the other girl (Can't remember who).

16. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Very few of the tales in Tales from the New Republic actually seem to have anything to do with the New Republic or even with that era. Seems most tales should have caused the book to be labeled "More Tales from the Empire".

Also, don't get started on just who stole the Death Star plans cause you'll loose out if you select just one person or group. Among the list of those who got the plans back to the rebellion: Leia, Bria Tharen, Han, Luke, Chewie, Artoo, Threepio, Kyle Katarn, and Keyan Farlander. And yes, I listed Luke, Han, Chewie, and the droids even though they might not normally be listed because thanks to Leia and their resuce of her, they ended up getting involved in bringing the plans back.

Also, don't get started on who designed the Death Star. That list is doubtlessly even longer than the list of those who got the plans back to the rebellion.

17. muuurgh8150

Feb 4, 2002
    I agree with Chissdude. if they called it Tales from the New Republic, they should at least have it be about the new republic. but none of the stories are. It sould be called Tales From the Rebellion, or Tales from the Rebel Alliance.

18. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    TC,
    IMO, It does contain better insight into Leia's thought process about weighing the risk of danger to the Tantive IV's crew versus her special mission. It does add a bit of new information, some of which is rather relevent.

19. Mandalore74

Mandalore74 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    Maybe all these "Tales" are being recounted during the NR era.

20. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Not really...

21. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    There are only like two that seem to take place during the New Republic era (and most definately one that is easy to confirm as it has Kyp as a Jedi), the rest seem to take place during the rebellion. Like I said, "More Tales from the Empire."

22. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >IMO, It does contain better insight into Leia's thought process about weighing the risk of danger to the Tantive IV's crew versus her special mission. It does add a bit of new information, some of which is rather relevent.<

(I've read the book.) I'm not saying that it's not a relevant piece of EU material, just that it doesn't add anything to the timeline of the theft of the Death Star plans.

TC

23. Mandalore74

Mandalore74 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    (Shotgun cocks).....PULL!

(Mandalore shotdown by Xizor)

Hey, I was just throwing something out there.

24. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    One of the best ever books... though I like tales of the Empire more
    I liked "Interlude at Darknell"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.