main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Tales of Ordinary Catness!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kerr_Plunk, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I've had cats that have gotten hit by cars. Every cat I ever own will be strictly indoors. They have an entire house to roam in, windows (open on nice days), cat trees and scratching posts in every room, tons of toys, and lots of attention. I doubt my two cats are pining for the outdoors, and I know at least one would be terrified if he was ever loose outside. We have a bunch of semi-ferals around my house that "belong" to the neighbors, and I get woken up at night sometimes by their fighting. Keeping them indoors is not cruel as long as they have what tom mentioned above. And depending on a person's local laws, cats may be subject to the same leash laws as dogs.

IamZam and Chewgumma like this.
  2. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Cats on leashes is the cruelest!

3. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

With all due respect, but if god wanted to have a say on how I take care of my pets he wouldn't have let two of my cats get killed in as many weeks. Nor would he have let Egypt's mother and litter mates be killed by coyotes.

We've been left feeling very anxious for his safety and have come to the conclusion that we will start raising him as an indoors cat or will only be allowed out on a leash. We've already got a kitten harness for him so that if he gets spooked by traffic we can make sure he doesn't hurt himself. This isn't about cruelty, it's about safety. It's our duty to look after our animals and we're doing all we can to achieve that.

4. IamZam

IamZam Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 19, 2002
    I've taken my cat out on leashes and she likes. it. She is afraid of cars and dogs, so with out it she would run and I might never find her again. Not to mention eat dangerous plants (she's a muncher, I have to be careful what plants I buy) or pick up fleas, ticks, or a disease.

I live in a old large two bedroom house with windows in every direction and lots of bunnies and squirrels for her to watch, and also lots of room for her to run as much as a 10 year old cat would like.

I also play with her every night.

If she were picked up and taken to Animal Control, I would also have to pay a fine to get her back. I also made sure she was spayed, as despite being built to reproduce she is better off not having kittens.

Chewgumma likes this.
  5. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
  6. IamZam

May 19, 2002
    I've seen those, I think Miss Oreo would not be impressed. She likes to be able to run and move. She loves boxes,. but only when she can easily leave at her choice.

Master_Lok likes this.
  7. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Although I lean towards letting cats be outdoors for at least part of the time ... I don't think there's a clear right or wrong answer and I think individual circumstances are relevant. After what happened to your previous kitties, it's reasonable to conclude that there's a serious danger from vehicles where you live. That's just logic. Egypt is young so you won't have any problems making her a house cat. (She's super cute btw. I demand more pictures). ;)

Chewgumma likes this.
  8. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Vincent and Scrambles are indoor outdoor cats. I live on a pretty quiet street that doesn't have a side walk. They cross the street, but most cars go pretty slow through our neighborhood. I take the chance and so do they when they cross the street. There is no way I could contain them in the house. They would claw through the window screens to get out.

9. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    My Mei-Mei's previous owners declawed her, and we have coyotes around here, so she really has to be an indoor-only cat. It's just as well--she seems frightened by the outdoors.

10. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    As someone who has hit 4 cats in my lifetime as they ran under my car while driving I will never understand why people would let their beloved cats out. Thankfully my daughter's 3 cats are perfectly happy to be inside as two have no interest in going outdoors and the 3rd is fine being walked on a leash.

Chewgumma and IamZam like this.
  11. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Some more photos of our little Egypt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I literally get photos of him from my girlfriend everyday. He's improved so much from the impoverished, timid little kitten she first found.

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I had to wheel garbage cans up the driveway in the big scary darkness last night, but Martin was there to guide me and keep me company.

Master_Lok likes this.
  13. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Egypt looks a lot like my cat, Max, only younger. :D

14. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Soooooooo cute! Pink paws & nose!

15. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    That fourth picture where Egypt is half upside-down is insanely adorable. It looks like he has a little black dot on the otherwise pink pad of one of his back paws? I'd be tempted to boop that every time I saw it. :)

Master_Lok likes this.
  16. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    MELTS... so adorable. Glad to see he's doing well.

JoinTheSchwarz and IamZam like this.
  17. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    The pic of Egypt in the tree. Behind the tree is a fresh unused Jedi Funeral Pyre!

18. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Because I've been looking this Twitter account too much lately:

cat gifs

19. IamZam

May 19, 2002
    Master_Lok
    Death by cuteness. She is so adorable. I just want to squish her with hugs.

Master_Lok likes this.
  20. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Wrigley is celebrating World Cat Day by taking a nap before bedtime.

[​IMG]

21. IamZam

May 19, 2002
    squee!! I want to hug and squish her, she looks like such a sweetie.

22. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I'm so tempted to post here! But my cats are anything but ordinary [face_not_talking]

IamZam likes this.
  23. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    [​IMG]Good grief, a few posts above I could swear showed my Sam (sadly deceased at age 18 a few years back):

Juliet316 and Thumper09 like this.
  24. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    My oldest cat has hyperthyroidism, and today he went to the vet for an injection of radioactive iodine to (hopefully) cure it. It's a safe procedure that is also used for people, but if there's one thing I've learned from movies, it's that radioactive injections lead to superpowers. I'm wondering what superpowers he'll have when he comes home in a few days.

corinthia and IamZam like this.
  25. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I assume you've seen the pics of cats with laser beam eyes online..

Thumper09 likes this.