main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tales of RPG Woe

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Jedi_Dajuan, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    So this weekend I was trying to move some pictures from one computer to another via my RPG flash drive. It's the biggest I have at 8GB and I have a LOT of pictures. It took about a half hour for my first huge batch of files to transfer onto the drive. I unplugged my drive from the Gal (computer one) and plugged it into the Colonial One (computer two). The Colonial One gave me an error message saying that I need to format my flash drive. That can't be right. I plugged the drive back into the Gal. Same message. I went back and forth several times and could not get the drive to open. Finally I gave in and tried to format the drive, knowing that I was erasing all of my data from the campaign I'm running.

Now all of my data is gone and the formatting didn't even work correctly because there's a ton of space taken up on the drive. Frak me.

So as I sit here trying to recreate my files before we play again this weekend I got to thinking. Does anyone else have a tragic or amusing tale to RPG woe to share? I can't be the only person who done something this asinine to themselves.

2. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    formatting didn't even work correctly because there's a ton of space taken up on the drive

That doesn't make sense. Scandisk it? Sounds like its FUBAR anyways. Sorry that happened :(

I lost 75% of my RPG books a while back. Was re-arranging the house and stored them temporarily in the garage. We had a freak deep freeze, pipes burst, garage flooded hardcore, and all those boxes of books were ruined.

That contributed a lot to my not being into the hobby as much, it was such a blow to loose $1000's in out of print books. Lots of WEG Star Wars stuff too :(

3. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Can't tell you how many times I lost my play-by-post listings because I accidentally hit a link while looking up info. Stupid boards very hit-or-miss on whether or not it remembers postings-in-progress.

Still, biggest catastrophe for me was getting married. Worst mistake ever. For my collecting, for my gaming, for my career, for my life.

Yeah, it was that big a problem.
    I do not recommend it to anyone.
    For anyone.

4. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Haha, are you still married?

Flare, that sucks. I couldn't imagine the feeling at the moment of realisation :(

Dajuan, if you've got 'space' that is unrecoverable then that memory stick sounds as if it's as Flare described it.

Harsh huh but lesson learnt? Use the 'Safely Remove Hardware' wizard!

5. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    Other than the fact that I yet to have a live game go beyond two gaming sessions, and I haven't been able to join a group since... oh, about 2 years ago now. Nope, those are all my tales of RPG woe.

Almost makes me wanna go back to PbP... and since I gave up on my WoW addiction, I just might.

6. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I spent weeks and hours upon hours setting up a Star Warsy Gurps campaign for a group. Did all the stats for the ships accurately with GURPS Vehicles (you know what I mean if you've tried to use GURPS Vehicles)

By the time I was done, nobody was interested. All that damn work and we just ended up playing D&D :_|

7. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Something similar with me, only with a Warcraft d20 game. I went through my Dungeon Tiles and scanned them into my computer, followed up by creating two large poster maps recreating the Battle of Mt Hyjal from Warcraft III for the prologue. Only to have no one online express any interest in it whatsoever... Well, at least I have two poster maps of camps...

8. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    I once spent 3 hours building a team of bounty hunters, complete with detailed backstories for each one.
    Round one, the bounty hunters ambush the party at the landing pad on the way back to their ship.
    The character with the worst blaster score shoots the bounty hunter that took the most work to build, had the longest backstory, the best skill set, all the pre-planned dialog, and kills him with one shot.