main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Tales of the Jedi appreciation thread

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by darklordoftech, May 27, 2013.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    It's amazing how little appreciation Tales of the Jedi receives. It was Tales of the Jedi that created the Old Republic era and introduced many of that era's characters. Many aspects of Tales of the Jedi that might not seem to make sense can be explained by the "Tales" part of the title. Tales of the Jedi is a group of tales told by the Jedi about their (and the Sith's) history and members, NOT a book of facts about the history and members of the Jedi and Sith.

2. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Does anyone else have any words of kindness for TOTJ?

3. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I do. I think Tom Veitch and Kevin J. Anderson have done a great job writing TOTJ.
    They masterfully combined all references to this era in one story. Everything adds up.

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I thought this'd get locked and directed to some other exiting TOTJ thread.

The art is worth it alone. Then they went and gave it a good story and cool charcters too.

[​IMG]

AAnyone else nerdgasm when they saw the first double bladed lightsaber?

I recall when one was made for TPM Ray Park said the handle was too small to wield properly, that he'd have to have a longer one to get leverage for swinging.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I read the 1st omnibus of this a couple of months ago and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

6. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    In my opinion, the moment when Exar Kun walks into the Senate Rotunda to rescue Qel-Droma is one of the greatest moments in the history of the EU.

7. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    In general, TOTJ is one of the greatest things to ever happen to the EU. Good writing interesting characters, and excellent artwork. The floating timeline of the entire thing made it so multiple areas of history could easily be covered at once, and it was written so that it was clear how everything was connected. Shame we don't see that these days. I've said it before and i'll say it now, TOTJ is deserving of a trilogy of movies.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I would not mind seeing a live action version if they can capture that art in motion. They had a few off issues and such, but overall the look was incredible. Also, I was not happy with Zahn's books, and these with Dark Empire fed my Star Wars hunger better. I have the original issues, all sealed with backing boards. I do occasionally give them air.

9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I loved how Kun "discovers" the Sith civilization.

10. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I also loved that story about the "First Great Schism" (later retconned into being the second) and its aftermath, and Naga Sadow's similarities to Palpatine make me wonder who inspired who. Also, Kressh was 5000 years ahead of his time with his isolationism because isolationism would have prevented every defeat the Sith have ever suffered.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    DOTJ makes me appreciate the Great Schism backstory (and the two tellings of it within TOTJ) all the more. "Once, we were brothers in The Force".

12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I like Tales of the Jedi, but I never managed to get through the Ulic/Exar arcs, mostly because of the art (a result of growing up with artists like Duursema). I got through the Naga Sadow arc through sheer force of will, and I wanted to finish the Ulic arcs but just couldn't. DOTJ seems really awesome and I want to read it ASAP.

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I would definately enjoy TOTJ Special Edition with Duursema art.

Tython Awakening and Revanfan1 like this.
  14. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    I re-read the entire TOTJ saga after the Kotor comic series concluded, and was surprised by how much the saga, now almost 20 years old (from the first issues), makes sense in the current canon. Wonderful characters, told with such a mythological feel and with art that still looks pleasant to the eyes. Definitely one of the most underappreciated parts of Star Wars literature.

A retelling of TOTJ with modern art and storytelling techniques would definitely be awesome. :D

NostalgiaFan and darklordoftech like this.
  15. General Immodet

Dec 5, 2012
    Personnally, I think TOTJ is fine as it is. The art was great (at least, that is my opinion). So, why change it?

If they eventually would decide to retell TOTJ with modern art and storytelling techniques or even make a movie about it, its writers will not stick to the story.
    Then, we will get major continuity problems. Look at what they did with TCW.

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Rereading TOTJ, I did enjoy the comical aspect of some of the art (such as pajama-wearing Massassi that helped Exar sneak into the Krath base and the Massassi tending to Exar's wounds).

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    If Disney were to make a movie of 1 TOTJ arc, which should and/or would it be?

18. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    Dark Lords of the Sith. It's the one arc that can be seen as a standalone, and doesn't require you to read anything before it to understand what is happening.

NostalgiaFan likes this.
  19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    For some reason I think Massassi are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    I'd hate for them to ever change the art for TOTJ. I have to agree it was all perfect the way it was, with their only being a slight change towards the final story.

NostalgiaFan likes this.
  21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Do the Massassi remind anyone else of Darth Maul?

22. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    Depends on which take of the Massassi. According to lore, the Massassi were subjected to multiple experiments, making a great variety of Massassi. In the Kotor comics, they all had tattoos.

23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I meant because the Massassi, like Maul, are red, lack intelligence, and are pawns of the Sith Lords

Hansa likes this.
  24. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    Ahh, then I agree... to a degree. Except Maul had intelligence -- the Rule of Two depends on the Apprentice succeeding the Dark Lord. Can't have a dumb being succeeding you, unless, like Palpatine probably counted on, he wouldn't succeed him.

25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I thought Maul has always been characterized as stupid, having been raised from birth by Palpatine to hate the Jedi. Also, another similarity is that the Massassi, like Maul, are excellent warriors.