main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Tales of the Jedi continuity

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darklordoftech, Nov 17, 2012.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I can't help but wonder what happens in between "Fall of the Sith Empire" and "Ulic Qel-Droma and the Beast Wars of Onderon". There's lots of continuity problems during those thousand years.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Such as?

3. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Ragnos ruling during the genocide against the Sith.

AusStig likes this.
  4. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Tales of the Jedi must be taken with a grain of salt as it may or may not be canon.

5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Source?

6. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Wookieepedia. Tales is ambiguously canon. Some is, some isn't, some is wishy-washy.

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Clarify? Ragnos died before Tales of the Jedi- indeed it's his funeral that's in the chronologically earliest of those comic books, Golden Age of the Sith.

No- that's Star Wars Tales.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  8. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Probably means the guy Exar Kun and Ulic met when the Sith amulets sent them back in time or whatever. His hat looked kind of like Marka Ragnos's hat so later source material identified him as Marka Ragnos, despite the chronology being wrong.

AusStig, Ulicus and darklordoftech like this.
  9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Edit: The above post says what I meant.

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There's no problem with that guy being the ghost of Ragnos. Or, as said, him "reaching forward in time" to anoint Kun & Ulric.

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, besides that the earlier chronological work was written after the later, that's not hard to fix - GAotS had Ragnos warning of disaster from the grave, wouldn't put it past him to have an ultimate revenge plan based on Force visions of what would happen - or, put it another way, the dark side told him the Sith would be royally screwed over so the best response? Revenge... Served very, very, millennia-cold!

Chrissonofpear2 and Zorrixor like this.
  12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    But he didn't seem sure that disaster was coming in GAOTS.

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    See Catherine's post - a large part of enjoying the EU is engaging in creative fixes for this sort of thing.

14. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Let's not forget that Naga Sadow transferred his essence into a human and experienced complete amnesia in the process that led him to believe he was the exact opposite of what he had previously been. :p
    Yeah.

After TOR, it also fits with Vitiate's fear of lingering Sith spirits and desire to eradicate their remnants. (I actually have grown fond of the idea Ragnos's spirit was jointly tied to Kun's amulet, as we know it was stashed safely with his Scepter somewhere.)

AusStig likes this.
  15. Shira_French_Cheese

Shira_French_Cheese Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2010
    Is that a real retcon? [face_plain]

16. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    It's a reference to how Naga Sadow's original appearance in Dark Lords of the Sith is completely different to how he's portrayed in the TOTJ prequels.

Chrissonofpear2 likes this.
  17. Shira_French_Cheese

Shira_French_Cheese Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2010
    Yeah, I know. That's why I asked. :p I guess not then.

18. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Still's in the book. :p

In all seriousness though, while I was joking earlier today, I've just realised that I actually would like the erroneous "human" appearance to be made official, with it being retconned as a figure who Sadow's spirit manipulated and took possession of (like Eison Gynt), and that the "story" on Vodo's holocron was was wrong because the Jedi had mistakenly believed the human was the "real" Naga Sadow, rather than merely a tool, and had thus recorded completely the wrong history.

cthugha and darklordoftech like this.
  19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Just because the artist gave Sadow caucasian skin instead of red skin? How do we know that humans are the only species with caucasian skin? Still, I enjoy your retcon.

20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Since starting this thread, I've realized that the audio dramas fix alot of these issues. I wonder if they're canon.

21. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    He doesn't have the face tendrils either, and he's said to be like a rogue magician exiled by the Dark Lord of the Sith, rather than being the Dark Lord himself. They might have kind of tried to fix that by having Ludo Kressh become the Dark Lord for like five seconds, but mostly I think they just had the same attitude when they were writing their prequels that Lucas had when writing his.

Why wouldn't they be?

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Thank you. Things like that are why I started this thread.
    I wasn't sure how canon adaptations are.

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Radio plays sometimes have lines that are different from those in the movie, or in these cases, comic.

24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    True, although my point is that it's possible Gosset simply failed to distinguish the Sith Species from humans. Further info and opinions on this are welcome.

25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Here's the implied backstory before GAOTS was written: Ragnos rules the galaxy until the Republic overthrows him. During the Republic's war against him, Naga Sadow rebels against him and is sentenced to die. Naga flees to Yavin. Later on, Ragnos trains Nadd but Nadd fails to kill Ragnos and goes to Onderon, where Ragnos won't bug him. Before dying, Ragnos masterminds the rise of Exar Kun and Ulic Qel-Droma.