"Tales of the Jedi, Volume II (Dark Lords of the Sith)" [Dark Horse Comics, 1994/1995]

Discussion in 'Literature Review Forum' started by dp4m, Jan 26, 2004.

?

"Tales of the Jedi, Volume II (Dark Lords of the Sith)" [Dark Horse Comics, 1994]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
10 (Excellent) 3 vote(s) 25.0%
9 6 vote(s) 50.0%
8 3 vote(s) 25.0%
7 0 vote(s) 0.0%
6 (Average) 0 vote(s) 0.0%
5 (Average) 0 vote(s) 0.0%
4 0 vote(s) 0.0%
3 0 vote(s) 0.0%
2 0 vote(s) 0.0%
1 (Poor) 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
  2. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/comics/images/dhCovers/large/swdltpb.jpg]

Synopsis:
    "In the depths of galactic space, a foolish and arrogant young Jedi awakes an ancient, deadly power. This seductive evil will lead him down a path that will make him a Dark Lord of the Sith, and his darkling power will make the very galaxies tremble."

TheForce.net Book Review for:
    #1 Masters and Students of the Force.
    #2 The Quest for the Sith.
    #3 Descent to the Dark Side.
    #4 Death of a Dark Jedi.
    #5 Sith Secrets.
    #6 Jedi Assault.
  3. lord-darkhelmet Jedi Knight

star 3
    With this series, Kevin J. Anderson joins Tom Veitch on the writing chores of TotJ. We see the introduction of the brash, young Jedi Exar Kun whose curiosity about the Dark Side leads him down the dark path. The Jedi and the Republic are now aware of another Sith threat as Satal Keto and Aleema have now become powerful in the ways of the Sith, and intend on exploiting that power. Ulic Qel-Droma intends to gain the confidence of the two Sith followers and defeat them from within - against the advise of his fellows including Nomi Sunrider - with disastrous results.

The storyline here is great, I really liked the way they introduced Exar Kun and started to develop his relationship with Ulic Qel-Droma. The Gossett/Ensign art team is very good, it's only too bad they weren't able to do the entire story together. Probably my favourite part of the story is the fall of Exar Kun to the Dark Side, the Sith imagery here is spooky, and lots of fun.

I give this one a 9/10.
  4. neeldawg66 Force Ghost

star 8
    Enjoyed this one very much.
  5. DaRonin Jedi Knight

star 1
    10/10

Im giving this one the thumbs up. Its my favorite SW EU graphic novel.

One of the best things about this story is Exar Kun. He's a powerful jedi blinded by ego, and curiosity into sith history. But his master denies him further teaching on the sith, for fear that he will be corrupted due to his youth. Vodo has a right to be concerned. Exar Kun is easily touched by the dark side due to his ego, his obsession, and his violent temper. He sincerely loves the jedi way initially, yet his failings and ultimately his ego takes him further and further away. Later, under the guidance, and mainipulation, of the spirit of Freedon Nadd, Kun is corrupted, broken, and left bereft of any contact with the light side of the force. His only option, time and again, is to eitehr use the dark side, use his anger, hatred, and pride to touch the force, or to continue to follow the jedi code and die.

Its kuns subtle, yet inevitble and expected fall from grace that makes this book worthwhile. We see his failings, but we also see his passion for the jedi. He is no fool, he does not trust the spirit of Nadd for an instant, yet his obsession for forbidden knowledge is overwhelming, and ultimately his undoing. Eventually he is too far gone. His life saved and his obsession with the sith, satiated by the dark side so many times, that it becomes his only path. His one time passion for the jedi, turns to contempt at how that path failed to keep him alive. His misgivings about the dark side, give way to respect once it saves him and gives him power again and again and again. Its inevitable, we see this coming from the beginning of the graphic novel, but its so well written that during the journey the reader feels pangs of sympathy for Kun. There are times when he almost chooses the jedi way over the sith, we cheer him on and hope he makes the right choices, but he doesnt.

The tale of ulic is also a sad one. comparable to that of Gollum from lord of the rings. A jedi, also young, yet powerful. Driven into despair by the murder of his master, poisoned by dark side chemicals, all these factors driving him to insanity from his rage and confusion. He goes from respected jedi to feared apprentice of Exar Kun and a war criminal. It is painful to see him shun the people he once loved so deeply, seeing his progression from hero to madman is not contrived in the least. just sad to see a hero become broken. It was told by veitch in an interview that he made ulic as a precursor to Luke Skywalker, and created him to show why obi-wan and yoda feared lukes seduction to the darkside as he left to confront vader. With luke, we know how the story ends, on a happy note. ulic is the "what if" story. the flipside of the coin. If luke was the victory, ulic is the defeat.

This novel, while having great art and pheonominal action sequences, is primarily driven by its strong, sympatheticly written characters. It wasnt until anderson took over as writer in "Sith War" that the series took a nose dive that it would never recover from. But at least we have this graphic novel to remind ourselves how dramatic and touching a properly written story about jedi lore can be.
  6. Zebra3 Force Ghost

star 5
    I thought this one was pretty good. Loved seeing Ulic's and Exar's decent to the darkside. But I hated how the style of artwork changed in the last part. It disturbed the flow :(
  7. sithreaper Jedi Master

star 3
    poor artwork. solid story although as the star wars EU has expanded it has made this graphic novel look slightly out of place with every thing else.
  8. Sithlord-Boo Force Ghost

star 2
    This book was my very first venture in the world of the expanded universe. And till this day, I think it is the best piece i have read!
  9. Palps_Rules Jedi Knight

star 2
    I really liked this series. How a jedi sets out to destroy the darkside from within only to be seduced by it...Brilliant! And Kuns interest and power to gain from learning the seerts of the sith sets the template well for the next series.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.