main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tales

Discussion in 'Literature' started by tyderium1111, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tyderium1111

tyderium1111 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 28, 2003
    I just purchased Star Wars Tales Volume One and was pretty happily pleased. But I was wondering, what exactly is Tales? Are these actual factual stories, is it like stories that float around cantinas and get factually distorted as such, or is it sometimes kind of a 'what if?' thing? While some of the stories seem quite serious and real, others seem rather silly and wierd.

2. DarthKurt

DarthKurt Jedi Youngling star 2

May 18, 2003
    basicly your asking if Tales is Cannon or Infinites,good question,i whant to know also

3. Even__Piell

Even__Piell Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    Tales are Infinities. Although some of them could fit into continuity, they are all considered canon so it doesn't get confusing.

4. tyderium1111

Sep 28, 2003
    Well, I knew that they're considered Infinities, because it has the Infinities symbol on the back cover, but it seemed like some of the stories could really fit into the Star Wars continuity. Stories like the very first one with Vader or the one with Mara Jade and General Madine.

5. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Initially some of the stories in Tales could be considered to have happened while others could be considered to be holofeatures. However, since the Infinities label was slapped onto Tales, stories only become actual if they are refered to by other sources that are in the continuity and not labeled Infinities.

6. Attack_Of_Da_Gnomes

Attack_Of_Da_Gnomes Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2002
    Was the comic where Boba Fett hunts down the guy that has a holo of his kid along with his wife/lover which he eventually gave it to a Tales comic? That should DEFINATLY be canon.

Black parts=Fett spoilers.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I believe the Fett tale with the wife/lover and child was Infinities (and not canon) until it was referred to in an issue of either Gamer or Insider. I think that reference made the fact that they exist canon. (I don't think you need the spoiler blackout - that Tales story has been out quite awhile).

8. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    The Skippy Story, was it set as a cantina story or did it just go straight into the tale??

9. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    From what I've heard, the idea behind "Tales" is that these are all various tales being told in the Star Wars universe, by historians, smugglers, locals, or any other manner of people. As such they can range from more-or-less accurate ("Extinction") to completely off-the-wall myths and urban legends ("Skippy the Jedi Droid"). So, in response to "Are these actual factual stories, is it like stories that float around cantinas and get factually distorted as such," yeah, that's the gist of it.

10. tyderium1111

Sep 28, 2003
    Alright, thanks. Skippy the Jedi Droid is probably the best comic story I've ever read. Damn that was funny.

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Skippy went straight into the story. It's reprinted in the Tales Vol 1 book.
    I like the Tag & Bink stories the best - especially 'The Revenge of Tag & Bink'. (The one where they end up in the Sarlacc Pit along with a certain Mr.Fett). That one is in Tales Vol 3.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Both the Boba Fett story "Outbid But Never Outgunned" and the Vader vs Dark Woman story "Extinction" have been referenced by other sources and are basicly considered to have actually happened.

Skippy, alas, is not [face_batting]

13. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    While the basic events from several tales comics have occured within continuity, the actual comics themselves are and still remain infinities, and therefore non-canon.

This is done on purpose for the reason that there are in some cases multiple versions of certain tales, "Extinction" has 2 versions. Yaddle's Tale; the frame story actually does not occur when the comic places it, but rather actually 200 years before TPM or so.

So just because the basic events may have occured in continuity it doesn't mean that the actual events occured the same way as the non-canon version of the stories in tales.

"From what I've heard, the idea behind "Tales" is that these are all various tales being told in the Star Wars universe, by historians, smugglers, locals, or any other manner of people."

That was more-or-less the explanation given by the first 2 issues before the series was retroactively made infinities. However when they were retconned infinities, it made all the stories how they were told in comics infinities. Certain events may have happened, but not necessarily the way told in the non-canon version of the story in the comic, nor the same set of conversations.

It should be noted that LFL left out the peeja mobeut(sp?) fiction out of the TPB in order to point out that everything in the series as they are told are "non-canon". However, even the the idea that they were stories told in cantinas or holovids is infinities as well, when LFL retconned everything as being infinities.

14. Even__Piell

Even__Piell Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2001
    Woah woah wait. Is the Boba Fett/Sintas story canon or not?

15. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Not the version exactly as it was told in tales, but alternate version given in Gamer #6 is canon.

16. Attack_Of_Da_Gnomes

Attack_Of_Da_Gnomes Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2002
    Valiento: Not the version exactly as it was told in tales, but alternate version given in Gamer #6 is canon.

Were there any major changes between the two stories?

I also liked the Tag & Bink stories and I think they should be canon. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.