main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So NV Talk About Episode III Here

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by GersonSith, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GersonSith

GersonSith Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    There may be some still that have not seen it and wish to remain spoiler free. If this is you, do not read this thread. This will be for everyone to discuss the sheer awesomeness that is Revenge of the Sith, the greatest movie there has ever been.

2. SkywalkerG

SkywalkerG Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 22, 2000
    I felt the vast majority of the movie was a let down.
    Not nearly the finale i'd imagined.

3. Iggy

Iggy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2002
    that movie is amazing. im sorry to know that there will be no more star wars movies, but that was one heck of a flick. im going to see it again tomorrow.

4. Talon_Wolfe

Talon_Wolfe Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    I give it an A. I need to see it again before I decide whether I give it an A+.

5. Acthar_Sm-Ith

Acthar_Sm-Ith Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2002
    That movie rocked in an extreme manner.

6. jayse

jayse Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2005
    Overall - I thought it was a great film -

But things like: Chewy was there - but it was just a furry thing that looked like Chewy - where was his good ole personality? Or the personality of any of the wookies? Or learning anything about them. I didn't want a 'christmas special' - but something at least. They could have been on any alien planet - just chose wookies for their marketing potential?

Anyway: I think i'll like the book better - people have said the author kept the depth in the piece that I was looking for in the film.

7. GersonSith

GersonSith Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    Here is my review:

I loved the movie, but it is a bittersweet feeling knowing this is the last of a long legacy. I had not been this excited for a movie ever. I think its majorly in part because I went in as spoiler free as possible. The only real spoilers I knew of were small things like Chewbacca makes a cameo, Anakin and Obi fight in a volcano, and of course other obvious things. The only major spoiler I unfortunately saw was a picture of Sidious holding a lightsaber on a comic book cover. Other than that I was going in with fresh eyes and the anticipation was pent up so much that I couldn't eat much before the movie.

In my opinion it was definitely some of the best acting in the whole series. I really felt the emotion of the characters. I was disappointed by Anakin's performance for episode 2, but he really picked it up for this movie. Unfortunately Lucas is not a master of dialog, but he gets the point across. I would like to have seen more detail of the Jedi purge, but everything made sense. I had always pictured Vader hunting everyone down personally, but the way it happened gives a nod to Palpatine's planning and farsight.

There's not a lot bad I can say about the movie. I wish that Amidala would have been a little more than an emotional ball of womanness, but I guess you can't expect more from a pregnant woman. The timing seemed a bit off or something, because I didn't realize she was so far along the whole time. I also don't think a mother would give up her will to live knowing she's giving birth, but I can't speak for everyone. I also would like to have seen Anakin wielding a red saber for the final fight, but I understand why he didn't.

All in all I will be seeing this movie a few more times in the theater and will of course look forward to the DVD and hopefully more than just extra love scenes like AoTC. I will see it at the Orleans next to see the extra scene. I also hope I'm not as overwhelmed as I was last night. I was just stunned after the movie was over. I definitely put this at the top of my favorite movie list.

8. Jankarakk

Jankarakk Jedi Master star 4

Aug 27, 2003
    I concur, While I was pointing out all the things I don't like about the movie....the good definitely out weighs the bad making it by far one of the best if not the best movies i've ever seen....the whole time with obi-wan and anakin at the end....didn't blink once. it was so intense and by far the best saber duel in the series i think. and even though i was not spoiler free, there were still quite a few things that surprised me. the movie was just sheer awesomeness....and i wanna go see it at the orleans next too....we should have a group gathering for that...and go watch it on DLP!!! YES!

9. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    My review:

Great film. Three thumbs up!

Stuff that was okay, but not great:

The banter between Anakin and Padme, where she says, "So love has blinded you?" or something like that. That whole exchange I thought was weakly done.

Dooku's flip at the beginning of his fight. A bit much, especially considering how he acted in E2.

All the flying through the air flipping during fights. I am cool with Yoda doing it, but for everyone else to (seemingly), I thought it was a little overdone.

The Anakin/Obi-Wan fight at the end- it was good, but I would have rather seen the whole fight the way we say Obi-Wan and Maul's fight. Clearly. For this reason, I happen to think the Qui-Gon/Maul/Obi-Wan fight is the best ones in the series. Of course, Ray Park was a Wu Shu Master, so I am sure that helped.

I agree with Gerson about Padme's giving up the will to live when she had two babies coming out of her. I don't buy that- where was her mother instinct? Maybe she was being influenced by the dark side because of Anakin or something.

I also would have liked to have seen Vader hunting down individual jedi.

I really wanted to see more action with Vader in his armor. I personally was wanting him to don the armor 2/3s into the film, and have him going around kicking jedi butt for the last 1/3.

It was a little choppy, and it moved fast.

I also didn't like the swinging on ropes chopping each other sabers thing that happened over the lava. Too piratey for me.

I think that Yoda deciding to exile himself seemed a bit sudden, he made no mention of gathering surviving jedi to regroup or anything.

I also wanted Chewie to do something heroic.

I also wanted some Boba Fett.

Threepio seemed retarded, bumbling and useless in this film. The memory wipe will do him good.

BTW: what happened to continuity with Leia one day saying she remembers "being in her mothers arms" and her "mom looked sad?"

And did anyone see Shaak Ti? Did I miss here somewhere?

What I liked:

Everything else, really. It was killer.

I think Sidious threw the fight with Windu, and tactically let him fry his face.

The humor was cool, even the R2 humor.

I was emotionally drawn into this film, which I haven't felt since RotJ ("I am a Jedi, like my father before me...")

I felt bad for Anakin, and when Natalie told him "You're breaking my heart," she NAILED it. It broke my heart to hear it.

R2 rocked. He rocked 2 super battle droids, in fact. (As a GM, I find that interesting)

I loved the symbolism of Palpatine and Yoda fighting right in the middle of the senate.

I loved how EVIL and sinister Palpatine was. He wasn't evil in a way you could cheer, he was just plain EVIL.

I loved the fact that this movie establishes that there are potentially other jedi out there during Episodes 4,5 and 6, they are just hiding or whatever.

I also love how this moved connects the prequels and the trilogy SO well, and explains so much.

One of the highpoints for me was hearing the Sith Lore recounted by Palpatine.

Great film, overall!

10. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Saw it with the 501st/RL folks at Neonopolis at midnight-ish and again tonight, using my advanced ticket, at the Orleans...but not the DLP yet.

I thought it was an amazing film overall. It did wrap the whole saga up nicely, lots of deja vu moments and dialogue but I still have a few questions that didn't get answered. But the film was very powerful the second time around.

At first I was paying more attention to all the different clonetroopers than to the story. That's my only gripe: more clonetrooper action! Wanted to see more clonetrooper interaction with the main characters. I thought it was fantastic to see the more human elements of the clones: seeing several of them without thier helmets on. ;)

There were a number of memorable moments in EPIII but my most memorable ones were of "Order 66". Well done montage.

Downside of being spoiled: I was very disappointed with some scenes and that ended up being cut but that's what DVD is for. But that it didn't affect the story as a whole. Haven't read the novel and I don't expect all material there to be on-screen. But having seen and read some spoilers give the finished film some depth.

it was awesome seeing Aayla again in any of her short scenes and even the mention of a certain EU Jedi by Kenobi :)

11. KleptoKlown

KleptoKlown Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 5, 2004
    I thought the movie was absolutly awesome.

Granted, there were moments of cheesiness, ("So love has blinded you?") But overall, it was outweighed by the good.

Acting was MUCH better in ROTS than it was in AOTC. Thank God Hayden learned to pick it up. And I totally agree, when Padme told Anakin that he was breaking her heart... Holy crap... I almost wanted to cry. That one line was probably close the best line in all of Star Wars, just in the way it was delivered, the timing, and her expression, you just knew it was true, he was breaking her heart. Another great piece, was after the Anakin/Obi-Wan fight when Obi told Anakin "You were my brother, I loved you" And even when he told Yoda that he refused to fight Anakin, because he was like his brother. It showed during the fight, I liked that.

Having not been spoiler free, I had built myself up very highly for Obi-Wan/Anakin VS Dooku: Round 2. I think compared to what it could have been like, it was short. But I guess that Lucas wanted to show how much stronger Anakin had become. So it worked out for that.

Sidious is pure evil, and I loved it. I don't blame Anakin, if Sidious worked me like he did Anakin, I would have turned to the Dark Side too.

Movie was great... awesome... just beautiful.

12. DarthDarkstar

DarthDarkstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    I love it. It did no wrong for me. It is number 2 on my top ten list. Which probably is the only Star Wars film on my top ten, I think. I really need to make my top ten list.

13. xxgoonboyxx

xxgoonboyxx Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2002
    OK I have seen it twice and I liked it better the second time because I got to pay more attention to the back ground

PRO's
    The movie is longer- coming in at a shade under 2 and a half hours was a big plus for me.

It makes the first 2 movies better - It add to Ep 1-2 by explaining something in them (midi-chorlians)

I really liked when Obi was going off and he says to Ani...."Goodbye my old freind" Ani is standing in shadow and Obi is in bright light, the next time they see each other they are fighting.

Acting was better in this movie When Ani yells "I hate you!" I have gotten chills both times.

con's

R2 was too fake looking to me the whole time. was he ever real in the movie?

"Hold me like you did by the lake when all we had was our love" WTF was that? yadda yadda who talks like that?

This was one of my favorite Star Wars movies. I just wish that Lucas could use a little less CGI. some of the clone troopers looked like crap

14. LADY_OBI-WAN

LADY_OBI-WAN Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2002
    I loved it! Spoiler free was the way to go and I sat the first time with my mouth hanging open for most of the film. I thought it was a highly fitting end to the SW Legacy.

I agree I felt the acting was much better. All I wanted to do in EP 2 was smack Anakin upside the head and say "Stop whining ya Skywalker!" But again, that is Lucas' weakness at dialogue. He relies on visuals and overall story to get his point across. I do think EP 3 has almost no "OMG" lines in it.

I also wish we could have seen more of the fight between Obi and Anakin. We know both actors can do it, but it was so dark! I said that to Axia as well...you can't really appreciate how fast they are going and how cool it looks when you can't see a darn thing! I understand why, dark movie, dark situation, but a few more brightly lit scenes would have done my eyes alot better too. When you switch to the Tantiv, you go almost blind from all that white!

Ummm Gerson..."I wish that Amidala would have been a little more than an emotional ball of womanness, but I guess you can't expect more from a pregnant woman."

Pardon? I agree I did think Padme deserved more of a send off than to be "Anakin's Wife" instead of "Senator Amidala" but her being pregnant had nothing to do with it. If you'll recall, Anakin is far more emotional than she is when they are together, and she only gets upset when she is worried about him or at the end when she sees what he has become. Anyone, male or female, who had to go thru all that would be a bit upset too. So BAH I say! :)

And on the subject of Padme dying...she had to die guys, we know this. There is just no way in the time frame of a movie that Lucas could possibly fit in all the things we all wanted to see. Too much info from all the EU and people's expectations, so some things needed to be accelerated. Padme dying in child-birth was the fastest way. As a mother IRL, and having seen Padme turn death into a fighting chance to live before (Yeah Axia, I know...fine's in the mail!) I found that a bit odd as well. He could have made her have complications due to Anakin choking her, or her emotions started labor too soon...etc..but I think maybe Lucas was trying to say that she loved him SO much. He clearly made reference to them both saying they couldn't live without eachother. But as much as I love Axia...I'd live for my baby too.

Tho...Talon, if you'll remember what Leia says is "Just a little bit. Images really...feelings." Then she says she remembers her beautiful and sad. I also felt that meant that Padme had stayed with Leia and the Organas for a least a small time after the twins are born. After all you'd think Luke would be the one to remember if all the exposure they had to Padme was just after birth..he was born first and he's the greater Force user, but again, that was our expectations and Lucas just did't have the film time. HEY! Maybe it will be on the DVD Super Uber Duper Collector's edition released for the 17th time later! ;)

Anyway...we could pick it all to death for ages but I love it, it was awsome and that is the end of the story! hehe

OH and Talon...
    R2-D2 FRELLING ROCKS AND YOU KNOW IT! :D

15. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    Of course he rocks... it's because he is a Sith and this movie finally proves it!

Notice how he is able to effortlessly dispatch Super Battle Droids and others by using Sith Lightning!

Notice how he and Palpatine had a veritable conversation in the scene when they were crash landing the big ship onto Coruscant. they were sitting behind Anakin and Obi-Wan, and Palpatine kept looking at R2, as if R2 was telepathically conversing with him. You can hear the dialogue now:

"Master, do you think he has seen through your plot to turn him?"

"Of course not, R2. Look at him. Even now, his arrogance and pride in his piloting abilities nudges him even closer..."

"Obi-Wan will be a problem. He has guided and protected Anakin, and will continue to do so. Anakin continues to save his life, no matter how many times we set him up to die."

"Indeed. But if things proceed as I have forseen (and they usually do), Obi-Wan will have a very special role to play later on. Jealousy can be a powerful force to twist young people who are in love. Boy, it's really heating up in here."

"Yes it is. I'm glad I am not wearing all those Chancellor robes."

"Consider yourself lucky, droid. By the way, nice job in using Sith Lightning to take out those battle droids."

YES THE TRUTH COMES OUT R2-D2 IS A SITH!!!! How else did Palpatine keep tabs on everything going on? Next time you watch the film and they are crashing through the atmosphere, remember the dialogue above.

Search your feelings, Ladi Obi-Wan, you know it to be true.

16. Bleyd

Bleyd Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2002
    LOL, R2 a Sith I can see that. It'd explain why he lied so much in the OT.

I didn't care for the FrankenVader and the "Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!" at the end.
    Overall, it made all my expectations and puts this in the top2 of all 6 movies. After I see it a few more times I may even put it at one but I'm a little sentimental for the OT.

Answered ALOT of my questions. Liked the Star Destroyer tie in and the DS at the end.

One of the guys was pointing out the poetic writing Lucas did.
    Maul was the apprentice dedicated solely to his training. Dooku played the fallen Jedi. Grievous was the cyborg.

Put them all together and you get Vader, full circle.

Has anyone picked up the new Visual Dictionary? Check out the page describing the eradication of the Jedi at the temple by Anakin/Darth Vader and non other than the 501st Legion at his side. Pretty cool, we had a hand in something that has such an impact on the SW Universe.
    Anyone pick up the Las Vegas Weekly yet? The pix are cool but I'm not so sure bout the interview itself. Pretty controversial stuff to a certain point of View. Pick them up before they're gone.

The movie may be over but we're still going full steam.

Talon, you still looking for armor? Let me know. TK002@neoncitygarrison.com

Still lots of trooping we have for the future and I only see us getting larger within the year. Our numbers have almost doubled in the past year. Also, if anyone is interested in joining the rebel legion keep your ears peeled as a new influx of rebels/jedi are in the works. I see a massive power switch from Imp to rebels very soon. rebellegion.com me thinks. Ask for Danakin.

17. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    didn't care for the FrankenVader and the "Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!" at the end.

i think it fits right in with all the over-zelous luke NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO's.

dkt

18. Talon_Wolfe

Apr 8, 2002
    good point, dkt.

I wish Vaders 'nooo' was stronger, though.

19. LADY_OBI-WAN

Mar 20, 2002
    *Smacks head on keyboard*

asfjokshgiauhpivehi;aje;owhefiubgserj

OUCH!

Talon...you're loony tunes!

I will compose a more appropriate response for you when I am not at work.

LOONY!

20. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    Grabbed a couple of the LV Weekly with our own 501st Neon Garrison guys in it! Awesome 4 page spread and the interviews were really cool to read about. I was never a Trekkie either(way to geeky) but do enjoy the films("First Contact" is my fave) and UPN's "Enterprise" was a decent series for me.

"FrankenVader"'s "No!" reminded me of Doc Ock's "No!" in Spider-Man 2 actually. Didn't sound too powerful vocally but the "dark force rage"/"tentacles" added more drama to thier scenes, I think. Was expecting Jones to do more like Chris Reeve's "No!" in Superman

I think that scenes with the Jedi generals conversing with their clones early on would have added more depth to the already powerful Order 66 scenes...but perhaps the scenes with Kenobi and Cody kinda already help give the audience what I'm trying to get at here.

21. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    I'm a little burned out about talking about the things I didn't like (which wasn't much), so I'm just gonna say a few things.

The movie was breathtaking!

Ewan's "You were my brother" speech chokes me up every time!

Palpatine was even more wicked awesome than he usually is!

GO SEE IT IN DIGITAL!!!

22. kampilan

May 18, 2002
    I agree: digital is the way to go experience the film. A major difference. I finally got to see it in digital last night. EPIII Regular Print: 2, Digital:1

The "you were my brother" scene is a powerful one.

Having been following the SW:Republic comics leading up to the film "Order 66" still gets me everytime. Starting with Cdr Cody handing Kenobi his "lost" lightsaber...all the way to the Jedi Temple with Sen. Bail Organa encountering the 501st clones.

I still get a kick out of Kenobi mentioning Master(Quinlan)Vos' name to Anakin during the wrap up of the Outer Rim sieges de-briefing scene.

And, GL should've kept Aayla's lines for the film :(

23. LADY_OBI-WAN

Mar 20, 2002
    OOO Don't start on Aayla or Axia will cry

24. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    Read it and weep other movie franshises:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/series/StarWars.php

25. LADY_OBI-WAN