main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Talk Like A Pirate Day?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Separatist101, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    [face_laugh]

I would like to clarify that it's the entire day/concept as a whole, and not just the banner, that bugs me.

2. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

I wonder who the other user was.:p

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:

3. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    OK, time out for a second. As was already pointed out, this thread was not started because of any discontent with TLAPD. The ensuing posts of discontent were not formed in any sort of formal request for any change in policy. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that, with the exception of ASG's suggestion, nobody was actually trying to have a serious discussion in here about TLAPD until your first post. I wasn't trying to shoot anyone down, I was merely trying to be the light-hearted opposition to a lot of complaining that wasn't really demanding anything.

What I'm getting at is that this was never a "please do something about TLAPD because we hate it" thread until you came in here. So what I'm asking you now is, (and this is a genuine question, not a snarky attempt to shoot you down) what is it about the TLAPD banners that upsets so many people? Why is it that putting up a banner for one, two, maybe three days a year has certain people complaining so much? And finally, is it the banners or is it maybe other things about TLAPD that are the problem?

4. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Concerning on what's the problem with TLAPD, I know your directing that question to Dani, Grimby, but I'd like add my 2 cents: it's just too silly. It's overkill. There's nothing inherently wrong with internet silliness, but being silly for the pure sake of it is nonsense. It's like if I go to a movie, and order an ICEE and have 1 box of candy. That's fine. But, if I add a cinnamon pretzel, nachos and heavily buttered popcorn to that order, then I've gone too far.

5. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Anyone is welcome to post their opinion, not just Dani.

I'll buy that I guess, Tunick. But what makes this different from anything else we do that's silly? I mean, we have a whole forum dedicated to Pancakes and Waffles.

6. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    I'm not going to pretend and say that there is an objective reason for getting rid of it. I simply don't like it, plain and simple. But if most people here do then so be it.

7. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

More people like pancakes and waffles (and other breakfast foods). :p I may have been the only person against that forum (or at the very least the most vocal about it) at the time, which is something that I very, very much regret. But it's like I said: sometimes it's just too much. I like pirates. Loved the POTC movies. Doesn't mean I want needless pirate themes everywhere on the JC. I think people would just as hate 'Talk like the Mafia Day' or something similar.

8. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    TLAPD was fun for a laugh one year and then it wore out it's welcome. To me it just seems like those horrible fake holidays that we used to have to celebrate in preschool and first grade. It's just not funny, or amusing. And frankly the banner is very poorly made and an eyesore (apologies to whoever made it, I have no idea who did).

I wouldn't really go out of my way to pm moderators and complain about it, but since there's already a thread here asking for opinions, there you go.

9. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    I still read "Fogrogs" as "***rags".

10. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Yet the Strawberry Shortcake banner has now been locked, can we lock the Pirate banner too please?

11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    [face_plain]

12. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    I can't answer the second half of your post since I don't have a problem with the Pirate banner. Or the Strawberry Shortcake banner. Or the Pokemon banner, or that banner that's just a bunch of [face_plain]s and an Uruk-Hai. The thing I was really responding to was an unnecessarily harsh reaction to some complaints in the complaint forum, no matter the original intent of the thread. If people were voicing their problems with the banner, especially considering how small the forums are these days, then an automatic reaction telling them to suck it up and deal because nothing's changing isn't exactly "light-hearted opposition."

Here, imagine an analogous thread:

Noob: "Why can't I post a picture of a cartoon bee standing next to the letter s? I'm new and that seems like a weird rule."
    Regular: "Ugh, I hate that rule, it's horrible."
    Regular2: "Yeah that rule is the worst."
    Regular3: "That rule is seriously stupid."
    Head Admin: "Well deal with it."

Do you see how that's kind of an ill-advised reaction? When the reaction could have been "Do people really have a problem with this? Let's talk about it."

13. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    Let it not be said that when the Glorious Uprising against the tyranny of TLAPD was kindled, Rogue_Ten rested upon his laurels.

I stand with ASO.

14. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I think Talk Like A Pirate Day peaked in general in 2005 or 2006. Now it's past its prime, if you will. I think it's time for the JC to put this one to rest. I'd also ask, what other things do we celebrate as a JC that are not actual real holidays in the traditional sense? The JV anniversary is the only one I can think of...

15. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Dani, people complain about banners ALL THE TIME when they're up and they personally don't like them. It happens in every forum. Hardly ever does anyone take a serious stance and ask formally that a banner never be used again or to abolish the celebration they represent. So again, to me, a handful of people saying they don't like the the TLAPD banner wasn't anything to take seriously until you entered this thread and made this a serious discussion.

16. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    I personally like Talk Like a Pirate Day, but it needs to be toned down to the level of any other holiday. Sure, we can have a banner and such on the "official" date, and take it down as soon as possible afterwards (although it doesn't absolutely have to be taken down immediately, we all know how long it takes for other banners to transition - this is no exception). However, having it going for a whole week/weekend, and the thread title editing seems a bit much.

However, since it is an "unofficial holiday", perhaps there should be a poll posted in comms a couple weeks or so before the date asking if it should be celebrated that year. This way no feelings are hurt.

17. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I personally like Talk Like a Pirate Day, but it needs to be toned down to the level of any other holiday.

Was the banner really up any longer than we do for any other holiday? The first time I noticed it up was around midday on the 18th, board time (shortly before this thread was posted), when it was TLAP day in Australia, and it came down early on the 20th. Maybe it had been up a little before I noticed it, but it certainly wasn't up for an entire week. The thread titles were a one-time thing in one forum, done by that forum's mods, and was not repeated this year (to my knowledge, at least).

I'm not seeing how its getting "more" than other holidays. Holiday banners have always been more than 24 hours, largely because of the time zone issues.

18. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    I'm reading some crossed signals in this thread. Grimby, I think (if I'm interpreting her posts correctly) Dani is upset because she came to this thread to genuinely express her concern than she doesn't like pirate day. When you posted right after her that people who don't like the banner could just turn off images, it made her feel pretty slighted. Now, Dani, seems to me that Grimby wasn't trying to be flippant about a serious discussion regarding whether or not to have pirate day but it seems that you're stuck on his initial reaction to you in the thread. So, he's already said that he didn't mean it to slight you, he was just trying to be lighthearted. I know you don't agree with the way he responded to your post but at this point I'd say let that issue go and let's move on to a discussion about pirate day, if that's what everyone would like to discuss.

My personal opinion is that I'm pretty ambivalent about it. I remember it in the past and it was pretty amusing because people were involved in either celebrating it or hating the whole day. Now, it seems like the banner is up and that's about it. So, if the majority of people who used to participate aren't going to get into the day and it's really just a case of the people who hate TLAPD getting irritated, then let's do away with the holiday and find other creative things to have fun with as a group.

19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    ^^ That is why I adore Kate.

I guess I should give my opinion on the matter... I think of the old guy who wears his faded and dusty high school football jersey that no longer fits (his beach ball sized beer gut is exposed for the world to see), out to an annual dinner he drags his kicking and screaming family to - celebrating the day he scored his winning touchdown - thirty years ago. His wife and kids are totally mortified yearly, and haaaaaaaate this ridiculous tradition, but the man has been doing this for three decades, "and that's the way it is, damn it... you're going to go, and you're going to like it."

That's what this reminds me of.

20. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    LOL, Kate, was your entire post an elaborate Juli = Dani joke? Because if so... well executed.

Anyway, yeah, like I said, I like the Pirate Day banner, so I'm willing to drop this discussion. I still think that responding to complaints in Comms dismissively is a pretty poor way to be a Head Admin, though.

21. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Sorry, Dani, no it wasn't a joke. I should have said Juli's initial post. This is what happens when Josh is bugging me when I'm on the computer. :p

22. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Talk Like A Pirate Day is annoying, but personally it doesn't get on my wick as much as the ridiculous St Paticks Day "celebrations"

23. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    TLAPD is a novetly. Novelties wear off. On an internet forum, it's very hard to breathe new life into the same routines. Text only does so much. Pirate parties IRL, however, are a different matter!

I still find the concept enormously comical, but on the JC I think it's probably had it's day. The whole thing was great to begin with, when all the jokes and language hadn't been exhausted. But today, three or so years on from that peak, it feels like it would be a chore. 'Back in the day', the JC really dug it and a large number of people got involved. That was the key. That was great. As a half-hearted effort in this 'day and age' - and it would be half-hearted now that everyone has long since cracked their pirate jokes - it's just not worth it. Indeed, as we have a shrinking community there's barely anyone here who hasn't had their fun with it. On a forum with turnover, it might still work for some, but here... IMO best to let it lie and remember the good times it gave us.

BUT, I see no reason why the banner should be retired, as it's a part of the JC's history. I'm not saying we have to stick it up each September 19th, but there's no reason a mod can't stick it up on a whim should the mood take them. I like seeing old banners now and then.

24. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I agree with Everton on this issue.

25. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah, maybe Pirate Day is old news. I'm quite fond of the idea of random "theme days", by the way. It's an idea that was suggested before and would certainly be entertaining.

There was no other user. I was just being nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.