main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tallon IV: Space Pirate activity increasing- Metroid Prime discussion thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Pooja, Oct 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    With Metroid Prime only a mere few weeks ahead, I thought I would start a celebration thread. Celebrating what, you ask? The Metroid series is one of gamings' most beloved franchises, and with good reason.

Super Metroid is possiby my favorite game ever. Its atmosphere, game design, control, and extreme VAST nature just makes it amazing IMO.

I'd like to kick off this thread now. Who else is just ITCHING to get thier hands on this game? If you are worried, fear NOT- many people who have played this at the Cube Club events claim it has that warm Metroid feel to it- just like you are playing Super Metroid, only in 1st person- and everyone also says that it's very much different than games like Quake and Doom- that it is more of an exploration/discovery type feel.

This is good news. Recent videos I've downloaded suggest that these claims are right.

Enough talk. Let's celebrate now.

2. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    I plan to get it, but I'm in no rush. I'm currently broke and have other things to buy, so it'll probably have to wait until next year. The only thing I'm really dreading is an escape sequence that will no doubt be at the end of the game. I always hated those.

3. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    There should be a Metroid thread a few pages back with some solid disscusion already started. I'm to much of a slacker to make a link. :p

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

4. DeadAsADoorNailbiter

DeadAsADoorNailbiter Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2002
    I'm itching to play it and I think I will tommorow.

edit also...speaking of super metroid did you guys hear how you can play it once you beat metroid prime. but you also have to have metroid fusion. and a game boy advance. and a gameboy link cable. and metroid fusion has to be beat. i prolly'll never do that but its cool nonetheless.

5. DUM-4

DUM-4 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 1999
    I just read about it, and it seems that once you beat Metroid Fusion, you'll be able to unlock the original Metroid in MP. Also once you beat Metroid Prime, you'll be able to wear the outfit used in Metroid Fusion if you have it.

6. The2ndRest-in-Peace

The2ndRest-in-Peace Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 27, 2002
    Not Super Metroid- the original Metroid will be unlocked, since Metroid Prime takes place immediately after that game.

I'm looking forward to Metroid Prime's graphics, but Metroid Fusion has me even more intrigued...just the threat that the super dangerous Samus clone is wandering the game and that it should be avoided is incredibly creepy.

You guys seen the commercial yet?

7. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    I only wish it had a strafe feature. I was playing it today at WalMart and it's really cool... but I need strafe!

8. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Yeah guys I scanned back like 8 pages, because I could have sworn seeing another Metroid topic... but I couldn't find it. I may have just looked over it. Sorry about that.

9. Jomero

Jomero Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 3, 1999
    Am looking forward to this game. Have been since it was announced (I wasn't some whiner, jump-the-gun fanboy like most people and said "Metroid in First Person????? It's gonna SUCKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111!111111!!!!11111!1!!")

The only thing I didn't/don't like about the game is that I don't have as much freedom of movement as I do in a PC FPS game. I long ago mastered total and complete body and head movement control. In MP, you cannot look up or down AND be moving at the same time. You can't circle strafe either. The only thing you can do is lock onto a target and move around it, but that's about it. Feels limiting in that regard. Like somebody put blinders on me and I have tunnel vision.

But the demo was still fun and intuitive for a console FPS, which is amazing to me since I generally hate console FPSs. This one works pretty well.

-Jomero

10. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
  11. DeadAsADoorNailbiter

DeadAsADoorNailbiter Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2002
    Dude as great as those are, you can't post them here. If IGN knew that ROMs were being traded on the JC, they could shut the JC down or something. Get rid of them for your own safety.

(I already got 'em...thanks! :p)

12. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    Metroid Prime TV Commercial:

http://mediaviewer.ign.com/ignMediaPage.jsp?media_id=1604991&object_id=15316&channel_id=74&page_title= Metroid+Prime&adString=network%3Dign%26site%3Dcubeviewer&return_url=http%3A%2F%2Fcube.ign.com%2Fobjects%2F015%2F 015316.htm

13. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jul 22, 2000
  14. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    I hate IGN. It's so lame to charge people to read reviews. On top of that you have to go through ad pages just to see the results of polls. But whatever. Anyone know the general gist of what IGN said in their review?

15. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Link

EGM has a review up, as well.. You can't read the WHOLE thing, but most of it..

10 rating..

16. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    You can't give a perfect score to a game that is lacking in some features like Strafe, just like I'd knock down Timesplitters a bit for the lack of a jump feature. I'm not saying give it a crappy score but jeez seems like somebody's a little biased (or paid off) to give a perfect score when a game lacks such an established and quite appreciated feature. Of course EGM gave Super same level sunshine a really high score too.

17. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ...well, on one point: I agree with you.. A FPS without Strafe will be rather awkward.

However, Nintendo keeps claiming this isn't a FPS.. It's a FPA (adventure).. Big woop, i know, but i'll give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt....For now..

Besides, Strafe was never a feature in any of the other Metroid games, and they were pretty popular :p

18. Jobo

Jobo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2000
    When is it released? I've heard dates of both today and the 20. Please tell meeeeee...
    _jOBO

19. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jul 22, 2000
    November 18th. Well thats the ship date. It'll prolly be on shelves by the 20th though.

20. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    An FPS without full body control (yes it's an FPS, despite whatever excuse Nintendo gives) will absolutely stink. Heck, you could strafe in DOOM and that game is one of the oldest FPS' around. I sometimes do wonder if Nintendo has caught up to the 21st century yet.

21. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The lack of a strafe is logical- afterall, Samus has no periphrial vision in that helmet- she'd smack into things in such an enclosed environment! ;;D

22. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Yeah it has no strafe what were they thinking? A game that's being touted as the best game of the year and has gotten unbelievable reviews! Nintendo is so out of it!

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  24. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    You know you could play Halo without the jump feature, but it would detract from the games enjoyment. Even in a first person RPG like Morrowind you can strafe. Strafing is a natural movement. Sorry, but if this were any other game people would jump all over it for the oversight. Instead they just make excuses for it. It doesn't mean it sucks, it just detracts from it because it limits your strategic options and presents cumbersome movement.

Even my favorite games of all times I have complaints about, and when people refuse to acknowledge the shortcomings, their bias has overcome their objectivity.

25. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    It's not a FPS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.