main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tallon IV: Space Pirate activity increasing- Metroid Prime discussion thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Pooja, Oct 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediStarKiller2

JediStarKiller2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2006
    Awesome...he wasn't so hard once you have his pattern down pat. One more temple to go...

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I've gone and bumped the MP2 thread for you guys. ::)

3. JediStarKiller2

Apr 5, 2006
    I need to find a place that carries the Metroid Prime soundtrack.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Just got the Plasma Cannon- man that spiderball maze in Magmoor Caverns was great!

BTW- anyone know the finishing times offhand for the best ending?

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Times don't matter in MP or MP2. It's the percentage completed.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, that's good. There's a much larger degree of backtracking in MP than in the 2D titles, so I was concerned it'd be more difficult to get under the mark. Hopefully my % will be good (I know I missed a few, like that Plasma Cannon I rushed to get in my excitement :oops: )

7. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Do any of these post-Super Metroid games have an actual story, or is it just rudimentary space corsairs hostage a plasmic jelly, Aran blazs in?

8. phantasm66

phantasm66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 31, 2000
    I haven't played Prime 2 yet, but I beat the 'first' Metroid Prime inside and out and yes, there was a decent story with it. Great fun

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    You can see your percentage in the status screen when you access your game file.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh that's right.

And, yeah, MP1 definitely has a story- a lot of it comes from Chozo Lore and Pirate Databank entries you scan during your explorations, which fills in the backstory for various Pirate projects and their development, as well as the overall evolution of their Phazon experiments, apparently leading up to the development of the Metroid Prime. meanwhile the Chozo lore fills in some of Samus's backstory as well as the possible fate of Tallon's prior inhabitants.

11. JediStarKiller2

Apr 5, 2006
    I never knew it took place before all of the previous metroids...I figured after.

Oh well...I only have 8 more sky temple keys to collect in MP2--then off to the final boss.

12. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    Metroid Prime 2 has a decent story too. I think all the stories have similar scope.

2ndQuest, the reason that the Prime series don't have time constraints is loading. Unlike a ROM chip which has no lag errors, Metroid Prime can hang up. It's the continual load feature. Ever wonder why they have the long snaking corridors that don't seem to do much? They are to slow you down so the game can load the next room. Try to blaze through areas and you'll notice the game keeps a door closed so that it can load the next room.

Advantage is you don't get to deal with load screens (besides the elevators, but thoase don't ever feel like load screens to me) but you can't speed run through it without your own timer.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    One thing I also wonder is, going by the descriptions of the Metroid Prime, I wonder if this retroactively is meant to suggest that was why the Super Metroid had grown to such size- that the Space Pirates were attempting to recreate a new Metroid Prime somehow.

>>I never knew it took place before all of the previous metroids...I figured after.<<

Well, it takes place after the original Metroid/Zero Mission, since that was basicly the events surrounding the first encounter with the species. And they definitely can't take place after Metroid 3 since the "Super Metroid" was the last Metroid left in existence and it (as well as any ones spawned from it on Zebes) were destroyed with the planet's destruction.

Then again, I haven't beat Metroid 4 yet, though I do know you fight an Omega Metroid at the end of that game, but I imagine that's probably just a form of the X-parasites or some such.

And I guess they could always clone Metroids for a Metroid 5 (since they had the DNA onhand to inject into Samus's body in Fusion), unless they used the last of the samples on Samus for some reason. They could always involve some kind of technology or knowledge that's been developed from the studying of the Metroids, so that way the series title is still applicable.

Personally, I hope they leave the Metroids dead and focus on the Chozo in future games, as well as Samus's nature now that she is part Human, part Chozo and part Metroid. There's got to be some grand destiny meant for such a unifying individual.

>>2ndQuest, the reason that the Prime series don't have time constraints is loading. Unlike a ROM chip which has no lag errors, Metroid Prime can hang up. It's the continual load feature. Ever wonder why they have the long snaking corridors that don't seem to do much? They are to slow you down so the game can load the next room. Try to blaze through areas and you'll notice the game keeps a door closed so that it can load the next room. <<

And I thought the doors just hated me on occasion ;)

Still, the game obviously tracks your time played, so so long as the minimum time requirement set to beat the game to get the best ending wasn't set too close to what is normally achievable, the "load time delays" would be negligible so far as timing goes.

EDIT- And man, is that Omega Pirate battle frelling hard! Ya know, Plasma Pirates, Ice Pirates, Wave Pirates, Elite Pirates, Omega Pirates...they're all easy to beat. It's those goddamn yellow ones that keep kicking my ass, because they don't die quickly with 2 or 3 charge shots like the others ones do. I'd have slaughtered that Omega Pirate by now if all I had to do was deal with plasma ones. :[face_sigh]: Tommorow, tommorow...

14. JediStarKiller2

Apr 5, 2006
    The Omega Pirate is hard??? In MP??? I always thought he was quite easy...

Maybe I have the wrong Omega Pirate...but isn't there only one?

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Omega Pirate battle is hard- the Omega Pirate himself is easy. I'd have wiped the floor with him the first time if not for his colorful variety of lackies dropping in.

Thankfully I finally beat that battle- mainly by ignoring the smaller pirates for the most part and concentrating on the Omega himself. Eventually after a few tries I ended up with a combination of pirates easier to keep at bay and allowed me to survive their attacks long enough to get my 4th supermissle inviso attack in (but it was still close- I was on my final energy tank).

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Interesting- Kraid was almost in Prime.

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b6/Beta_MPkraid.jpg]

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ok, so now that I'm past the mines, all that is left to do, i think, before I get the final bosses is backtrack through the whole world and collect the 8 or 9 other artifacts I'm missing. Definitely in the final stretch now. Chozo Ghosts everywhere now though, hehe.

18. JediStarKiller2

Apr 5, 2006
    I still haven't beat Prime yet I'm at the final boss same with 2...I'm at the final boss there, but since I got REmake for my cube that's all I've been playing.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Down to 2 artifacts now. Currently at 57% and clocking about 17 hours...I don't think I'm getting the best ending ;)

20. JediStarKiller2

Apr 5, 2006
    Nope you are terrible...:p

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Assuming I don't encounter the missing scan stuff and upgrades along the way back to the mines (though I know there's this one energy tank under ice somewhere in Phendrana, but I can't remember where...), this'll be the first time I haven't gotten the best ending in a Metroid game, alas.

22. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Well, there was one in that main entrance to the Phendrana Drifts.The large one with the entrance to like, everywhere else.
    It was behind an ice pillar.
    Wait, that might've been a missle.
    Well there was an energy tank deep within the drifts in a natural ice corridor, somewhere near the water sections...

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    WOOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!

After 6 deaths at the hands of Meta-Ridley, where I generally ran out of missles and then got torn to shreds in his "stage 3" fierce mode (though once I still managed to hold on to about 15 missles while being within one shot of killing him, but I ran out of energy, alas), I came to face him and many of my early super missles shots ended up missing for various reasons (statues in the way, Ridley diving off screen or going into his bomber mode, etc), I thought I was surely screwed yet again- but then switched over to the Plasma Cannon and used charged shots from that to do my damage.

And, down to my last energy tank, I beat him- with no missles! [RickyBobby]That. Just. Happened.[/RickyBobby] w00t!

[face_dancing] :D :cool:

Tommorow- the Impact Crater!

24. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Congratulations :D

It took me around the same amount of tries to beat him, that boss was awfull hard :p

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Mission accomplished!

The Metroid Prime (shell) was pretty tricky- though not as hard as Ridley, though it probably took me more tries to kill the MP overall as it took me an extra turn to figure out the pattern of the phazon pools against the MP core.

Final time of 18:51 at 60%. Worst Metroid finish for me ever, but oh well- it was fun ::) (and, I was able to find a video online of the full ending, plus it the narration added in the european and japanese versions, so it's all good)

Now I just have 2-3 months to start and finish MP2...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.