main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tallon IV: Space Pirate activity increasing- Metroid Prime discussion thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Pooja, Oct 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Supreme_Jedi

The_Supreme_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 12, 2002
    Drat... I'm going to have to start a new file just to get a 100%... There goes another 20+ hours.....

2. obi_wan_kanathan

obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2001
    100% is just for items that you collect. If you get all the scans, you only get an image gallery.

3. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    Are you sure about that?

I could have sworn scanning everything was necessary to get the 100% overall.

Well, if it's not, then I guess I still have a chance for that 100%. :D

4. The_Supreme_Jedi

Jan 12, 2002
    I hope so too. Just to be safe though I think I'm going to try to get a 100% on my hard file...

5. Chaotic_Jedi

Chaotic_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    ya kanathan is right the percentage is just for item collection. It is good though to get all of the scans anyway.

6. The_Supreme_Jedi

Jan 12, 2002
    Good...I think.... Now the hard part is acualy finding the stupid missile expansions....

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Bah, I finally got around to getting back to this game, and I find that Phazon Mines is still kicking my ass- arg. I get just beyond that mining laser room, then BAM! dead, or once I get the missle pack from the mining laser room and attempt to backtrack so I can save my progress (so I don't have to worry about scanning everything all over), I get whacked on the way back :[face_sigh]:

Guess I gotta backtrack and try and find some more energy tanks- which is quite annoying because , with exception to the one behind the ice, I've scoured pretty much everywhere already.

8. JediHobbit

Mar 2, 2002
    Yeah, I had some trouble at the same part. But I eventually got it.

And I thik I've gotten all the missle expansions and energy tanks that I can up to this point.

Have to get that Phazon suit though.

9. Iwakura

Iwakura Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
  10. Chaotic_Jedi

Dec 20, 2002
    In theory metroid would make an awesome movie. But im a little concerned how they are going to pull it off. unless they make it like Final Fantasy The Spirits Within

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    As long as they don't give her a sidekick, and just fulfill dialogue through conmversation with her computer or someone aboard another ship, it should be ok.

Metroid was one of those properties I had always hoped to turn into a film one day myself, so I really hope they don't screw this up.

12. Chaotic_Jedi

Dec 20, 2002
    YA I hope its good. But most video game movies do suck. See Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil for an example of crap game movies. I wonder who they would get to play Samus.

13. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    They'd have to do pretty bad to mess up a Metroid movie. The fanbase alone should put it up at the top for a few weeks.

14. Auraveda

Auraveda Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2001
    Box office success does not neccesarily equal quality.

15. JediHobbit

Mar 2, 2002
    All too true.

Oh, and a word to the wise, anybody fighting the Omega Pirate: USE SUPER MISSLES!

It makes it so much easier.

16. Chaotic_Jedi

Dec 20, 2002
    Ya u can't go wrong with super missles. If u play it right u can destroy the Omega Pirate on his second time dissapearing if your timing is dead on.

17. obi_wan_kanathan

May 10, 2001
    Has there actually been a good movie based on a video game?

I hope that if they make a movie out of this, that it's good. It's possible as long as they don't screw it up. And they'll need to have samus talk and interact with other characters to work right.

18. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Samus could be talking to a computer like in Fusion, or somebody at some kind of command base in a movie.

The problem with a movie is that Samus in the games typically acts alone, but in a movie they'll end up writing in a bunch of characters. Also, they'll probably change the Motherbrain to a walking talking villan - which would suck.

This would be a lot cooler if totally CGI than live action.

19. JediHobbit

Mar 2, 2002
    yes, I would go so far as to say animation would be necessary.

either computer or even anime would work

20. obi_wan_kanathan

May 10, 2001
    Did anyone see that commercial for Prime? With better special effects and a little more work, that wouldn't look to bad in a movie.

21. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    I think there will be a very big problem trying to come up with a movie plot that stays true to the games. There haven't been many (any?) decent video game based movies in the past mostly because the plots usually can't stay true to the game and still have a 2 hour movie.

Some of the worst ones in memory are Super Mario Bros. and Street Fighter.

22. obi_wan_kanathan

May 10, 2001
    Of course, SMB and Street fighter had close to no plot as games. That's why they were so bad. If we got a good and creative writer, they could make a 2 hour long movie out of Metroid. I can think of a decent plot that can last two hours so I'm sure that they can also.

23. JediHobbit

Mar 2, 2002
    I think it is totally possible, though it may be difficult to do all the upgrades. Like "Oh, I've got the wave beam now, so I can open that door." or "Shoot. I'm not that small! hey, maybe I can find something that will turn me into a little ball." Samus may have to start out with at least some of the basic suit functions.

At least Metroid Prime explained why she had to re-gain all the suit powers throughout it. But does anybody else find it odd that she always seemed to lose the suit enhancements after an adventure? I mean, she always had to get the missles again, and the morph ball, and the ice beam. You'd think she would try to keep them.

24. Iwakura

Iwakura Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    I think the whole Metroid movie is kind of exciting since I've loved the game for so long, but I'm pretty worried as to how it'll turn out. My main concern is how the character of Samus will be portrayed. I know many people would probably not have a problem with this, but I don't want Samus to be made out as sexy...which is what is forced on so many other sort of tough female leads. I see Samus as extremely skilled and brave. Those traits are appealing enough, I think, without having to add some sort of sex appeal too.

I had never thought of some of the stuff that's being brought up here, like the fact that in the games Samus never really interacts with anything, verbally or otherwise, other than killing it or solving puzzles to get power-ups. I think the best route is probably her interacting with her ship's computer or something along those lines, or maybe a slight bit of interaction with whomever is dispatching her on her missions. I definitely don't think any of villains should speak since ridley, mother brain, etc. are certainly menacing without having voices. I think the best example would be something like Aliens--the aliens don't speak and still manage pose a serious threat to a character.

I'm not sure how they should go about the whole power-ups aspect...maybe just have her start out with everything or only have to get a couple of things.

25. ThePostman

ThePostman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    I got this game for Christmas and soon after I got my X-Box so I put it down for a while but I recently picked it up again. This game is AWESOME!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.