main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Tally Marks?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by SegNerd, Dec 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SegNerd

SegNerd Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 18, 2015
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but I'm pretty sure there is a scene in TFA where a character you can't really see appears to be held captive, and is writing tally marks on the wall, presumably to count the number of days. There is a very large number of marks.

Initially, I assumed this was a hint of Luke being captured prior to being rescued, but then it turns out that Luke was not captured and his exile was self-imposed.

So... what the heck is going on in the tally marks scene? I feel like I must be overlooking something obvious.

Mav Edit: Since this has been answered, I'm going to lock this thread. Further discussion should go in the Rey thread.

2. DL44Jo

DL44Jo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 7, 2014
    Rey scratches the tally mark on the wall of her makeshift home inside the fallen AT-AT right after she gets half a portion of food she pays for with a mechanical part she found inside a ship (I believe the crashed Star Destroyer). There are a lot of tally marks as you said. She might be keeping track of days or a certain measurement of time since she last saw her family, but it doesn't say in the movie. They might explain in the novel. It doesn't come out 'til January, but I believe you can get it on Kindle now since many people in these threads are already reading it. I placed a hold on it at my local library so just waiting 'til January.

Ghost, Rhyoth, SegNerd and 1 other person like this.
  3. ReyPrescott

ReyPrescott Jedi Master star 3

Oct 3, 2015
    This. When i seen the movie a second time i figured out she was probably counting the days since her family abandoned her.

Ghost, SegNerd and DL44Jo like this.
  4. SegNerd

SegNerd Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 18, 2015
    Okay, thank you. I just didn't quite understand that part of the movie when I saw it.

liquidocelot and DL44Jo like this.
  5. DL44Jo

DL44Jo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 7, 2014
    You bet!

SegNerd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.