main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Talon Squad- Chapter 5 Is there any hope for us now?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Talon Squad Leader, Dec 20, 1998.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talon Squad Leader

Talon Squad Leader Former Manager star 5

Dec 22, 1999
    Well reason one: her stories are really boring. Drochs, it explained where the Death Seed came from but other than that the plot to POT stunk. The Jedi Hutt Beldoran(or something like that) was imaginative for a non-SW author.

The Children of the Jedi book don't even get me started.

Well your thoughts?

[This message has been edited by MON CAL WARRIOR (edited 12-20-98).]

2. MON CAL WARRIOR

MON CAL WARRIOR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 1998
    Well reason one: her stories are really boring. Drochs, it explained where the Death Seed came from but other than that the plot to POT stunk. The Jedi Hutt Beldoran(or something like that) was imaginative for a non-SW author.

The Children of the Jedi book don't even get me started.

Well your thoughts?

[This message has been edited by MON CAL WARRIOR (edited 12-20-98).]

3. MON CAL WARRIOR

Dec 4, 1998
    OOPS double post, I hope it wasn't me

4. MON CAL WARRIOR

Dec 4, 1998
    OOPS double post, I hope it wasn't me

5. StarGazer

StarGazer Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 1998
    Well. Finally I've found someone who thinks like I do. I really can not stand Barabra Hambly for reasons already stated in my Barabra Hamble thread. I also think KJA is a good SW author. Hathor's Reason to like KJA thread is great!

6. StarGazer

StarGazer Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 1998
    Well. Finally I've found someone who thinks like I do. I really can not stand Barabra Hambly for reasons already stated in my Barabra Hamble thread. I also think KJA is a good SW author. Hathor's Reason to like KJA thread is great!

7. Jabba the Hutt

Jabba the Hutt Jedi Youngling

Dec 2, 1998
    I agree, Barbara should just keep away from Star Wars. Callista was a downfall and only KJA could save her character and even he had to get rid of her.

8. Jabba the Hutt

Jabba the Hutt Jedi Youngling

Dec 2, 1998
    I agree, Barbara should just keep away from Star Wars. Callista was a downfall and only KJA could save her character and even he had to get rid of her.

9. Rogue Jedi

Rogue Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 1998
    O.K. ....You guys really make it rough....Liking KJA's work hating Babs' work. You're forcing me to become addicted to this site.

Defence.

1) She made you think....period.
    2) Her characters are well thought out and completely original....unfortunately I'll concede, unsubtantiated.
    3) Her threats (and plots), although on the weird-out-there side were also completely original and as her stories went on,...fully explained.
    4) She didn't write on a seveth-grade reading level.....not that I'm saying anyone else did, but her stories were obviously intended for the educated.... Now, don't ANY of you DARE take this point the wrong way....I'm not implying at all that if you didn't like Babs' books that you were un-educated...just an elevated reading level made things easier understand and thus, to be able to enjoy them.
    5) If you guys in any way speed read her books it's obvious to me why you all didn't enjoy them....her books have many subtle phrases that are easier to miss if you're not careful....and many of those subtleties are very important.
    6) (intangible) I read her books while in a good mood. .....makes a difference, trust me.

[This message has been edited by Rogue Jedi (edited 12-20-98).]

10. Rogue Jedi

Oct 9, 1998
    O.K. ....You guys really make it rough....Liking KJA's work hating Babs' work. You're forcing me to become addicted to this site.

Defence.

1) She made you think....period.
    2) Her characters are well thought out and completely original....unfortunately I'll concede, unsubtantiated.
    3) Her threats (and plots), although on the weird-out-there side were also completely original and as her stories went on,...fully explained.
    4) She didn't write on a seveth-grade reading level.....not that I'm saying anyone else did, but her stories were obviously intended for the educated.... Now, don't ANY of you DARE take this point the wrong way....I'm not implying at all that if you didn't like Babs' books that you were un-educated...just an elevated reading level made things easier understand and thus, to be able to enjoy them.
    5) If you guys in any way speed read her books it's obvious to me why you all didn't enjoy them....her books have many subtle phrases that are easier to miss if you're not careful....and many of those subtleties are very important.
    6) (intangible) I read her books while in a good mood. .....makes a difference, trust me.

[This message has been edited by Rogue Jedi (edited 12-20-98).]

11. Rogue Jedi

Oct 9, 1998
    Mon-Cal, Just an honest question....If you didn't want to get started on CotJ...Why in God's name did you bring this up?

12. Rogue Jedi

Oct 9, 1998
    Mon-Cal, Just an honest question....If you didn't want to get started on CotJ...Why in God's name did you bring this up?

13. Hathor

Hathor Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 28, 1998
    Yeah, well have to agree with many here. COTJ was way boring for me. I guess I started reading it too fast and found it boring but there was no way I'd slow down to compensate more 'cause I really found it boring and couldn't concentrait. It's just that I like authors I can skim/read enjoyably without having to reread sections like I have to for Barbara. Though I have to say, once section in Twilight... I found completely confusing. It was when Leia was wandering around in the desert or something and she saw her destination below her and then to get to it she turned around and climbed UP! TOTALLY, didn't get that part! I had to reread several times but still didn't get it. Even ask Stargazer, we've talked about this confusing section time and time again.

14. Hathor

Hathor Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 28, 1998
    Yeah, well have to agree with many here. COTJ was way boring for me. I guess I started reading it too fast and found it boring but there was no way I'd slow down to compensate more 'cause I really found it boring and couldn't concentrait. It's just that I like authors I can skim/read enjoyably without having to reread sections like I have to for Barbara. Though I have to say, once section in Twilight... I found completely confusing. It was when Leia was wandering around in the desert or something and she saw her destination below her and then to get to it she turned around and climbed UP! TOTALLY, didn't get that part! I had to reread several times but still didn't get it. Even ask Stargazer, we've talked about this confusing section time and time again.

15. MON CAL WARRIOR

Dec 4, 1998
    Well Rogue I brought it up so people would talk about Hamby instead of KJA. I didn't I repeat I didn't want to talk about CoTj, not you other people. I hate Cotj, I think the indocrination idea was STUPID. Cray and Nichos are stupid, characters.

16. MON CAL WARRIOR

Dec 4, 1998
    Well Rogue I brought it up so people would talk about Hamby instead of KJA. I didn't I repeat I didn't want to talk about CoTj, not you other people. I hate Cotj, I think the indocrination idea was STUPID. Cray and Nichos are stupid, characters.

17. Rogue Jedi

Oct 9, 1998
    And if I enjoyed them (Nichos and Cray) does that imply that I too, am stupid?

Just another honest question....no fire in my belly here.

18. Rogue Jedi

Oct 9, 1998
    And if I enjoyed them (Nichos and Cray) does that imply that I too, am stupid?

Just another honest question....no fire in my belly here.

19. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    Glad to know I'm an inspiration to other forum members, although it saddens me to see I inspire hate. That word is a bit strong for my tastes. You can hate ideas, but to hate a person is wrong. I don't hate KJA, I just dislike many of the ideas he has presented. I don't hate his novels either, I dislike them. They still have a respected place alongside all of my other Star Wars novel.

I find it appalling that you hate Barbara Hambly because you find her novels boring. My thread brought up logical and thought out points supported by similarly logical arguments. Thus far, no one has countered those arguments, only presented an opinion on them. You, sir, have no argument, other than the fact they bore you. Yes, parts of her novels were slow, and I did find fault with sveral things, but that didn't keep me from finding it enjoyable and inventive. That's all I ask for is something inventive that is fun and doesn't insult my intelligence with contrivances. I could whine about authors all day if I wanted to, and Zahn and Stackpole would not be immune. Why is KJA a target? Because he made himself one when he became the self-appointed godfather of the Star Wars Universe.

20. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    Glad to know I'm an inspiration to other forum members, although it saddens me to see I inspire hate. That word is a bit strong for my tastes. You can hate ideas, but to hate a person is wrong. I don't hate KJA, I just dislike many of the ideas he has presented. I don't hate his novels either, I dislike them. They still have a respected place alongside all of my other Star Wars novel.

I find it appalling that you hate Barbara Hambly because you find her novels boring. My thread brought up logical and thought out points supported by similarly logical arguments. Thus far, no one has countered those arguments, only presented an opinion on them. You, sir, have no argument, other than the fact they bore you. Yes, parts of her novels were slow, and I did find fault with sveral things, but that didn't keep me from finding it enjoyable and inventive. That's all I ask for is something inventive that is fun and doesn't insult my intelligence with contrivances. I could whine about authors all day if I wanted to, and Zahn and Stackpole would not be immune. Why is KJA a target? Because he made himself one when he became the self-appointed godfather of the Star Wars Universe.

21. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I think Barbara Hambly is an anomaly among SW authors, because the quality of the two books that she wrote differ so drastically. I enjoyed the first one quite a lot (with a few reservations). The second one (with a few bright spots), I thought a fairly complete misfire. Most of the other authors are pretty consistent, and if they have written more than one book, the quality is approximately standard (either good, average or bad).
    Which leads to the question: which book represents her natural level? I have tried to get another of her books to read, without success. One of them--"Travelling With the Dead" sounded rather promising. Has anyone read it, and if so, can we get a review?
    I do notice one problem: a tendency to use romance as a cure-all plot point. The flatness of the last book may be linked to the author's inability to do this. Instead she does it for an unpleasant minor character in a denouement which only be described as ludicrous (sorry, Darth).

22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I think Barbara Hambly is an anomaly among SW authors, because the quality of the two books that she wrote differ so drastically. I enjoyed the first one quite a lot (with a few reservations). The second one (with a few bright spots), I thought a fairly complete misfire. Most of the other authors are pretty consistent, and if they have written more than one book, the quality is approximately standard (either good, average or bad).
    Which leads to the question: which book represents her natural level? I have tried to get another of her books to read, without success. One of them--"Travelling With the Dead" sounded rather promising. Has anyone read it, and if so, can we get a review?
    I do notice one problem: a tendency to use romance as a cure-all plot point. The flatness of the last book may be linked to the author's inability to do this. Instead she does it for an unpleasant minor character in a denouement which only be described as ludicrous (sorry, Darth).

23. Wedge

Wedge Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 1998
    "Fear is the path of the dark side...fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate..hate leads to suffering..." --Yoda from The Phantom Menace

I've got to agree with DL. We, as fans, are entitled to our opinions, and although others may not care for them, can never be inherently wrong. But to say we hate someone for writing a book, to me, is wrong. Both love and hate are the two strongest emotions and should be used wisely. Too many of societal ills are pegged to those two and pervades even here.

Maybe as a professional author one must learn to have thick skin, but to go into the den of avid fans (read: these Forums) and learn you are hated must be a sobering event. Remember, AC Crispin has lurked here and you should see the backtracking and bootlicking people did to defend their notions when confronted by that author.

This shouldn't be construed as a strong armed tactic by myself, just a harbinger of things that may or may not occur.

Personally I thought CotJ had some whacked out notions but they were fresh ones and not rehashed material beat into us. I thought it had its humorous moments with all of the different factions aboard the Eye vying for control of their own domains and had an interesting twist with Callista's introduction. My only gripe was the all too convenient way to get her out of the computer..but hey, it wasn't that bad...

24. Wedge

Wedge Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 1998
    "Fear is the path of the dark side...fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate..hate leads to suffering..." --Yoda from The Phantom Menace

I've got to agree with DL. We, as fans, are entitled to our opinions, and although others may not care for them, can never be inherently wrong. But to say we hate someone for writing a book, to me, is wrong. Both love and hate are the two strongest emotions and should be used wisely. Too many of societal ills are pegged to those two and pervades even here.

Maybe as a professional author one must learn to have thick skin, but to go into the den of avid fans (read: these Forums) and learn you are hated must be a sobering event. Remember, AC Crispin has lurked here and you should see the backtracking and bootlicking people did to defend their notions when confronted by that author.

This shouldn't be construed as a strong armed tactic by myself, just a harbinger of things that may or may not occur.

Personally I thought CotJ had some whacked out notions but they were fresh ones and not rehashed material beat into us. I thought it had its humorous moments with all of the different factions aboard the Eye vying for control of their own domains and had an interesting twist with Callista's introduction. My only gripe was the all too convenient way to get her out of the computer..but hey, it wasn't that bad...

25. Drew

Drew Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 1998
    good call zaz, COTJ was good, but I am about halfway through POT and it is considerably more boring than others such as Zahn, I found myself reading half of TLC in one sitting when I was reading that, POT just doesn't seem to flow and keep the excitement up, at the beginning of the book I was wondering what was going on, flooded with new characters, new regions, etc... There are interesting bits though that I have come across though, maybe the rest of the book with prove more interesting

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.