main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Talon Squad- Chapter 5 Is there any hope for us now?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Talon Squad Leader, Dec 20, 1998.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue Jedi

Rogue Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 9, 1998
    Jade's Fire, Interesting concept (Daala/Callista--B.Hambly/KJA) poetic justice maybe? I also enjoyed the Luke/Callista storyline even though I'm as staunch a Luke/Mara Jade supporter as one gets. One of the things that I didn't like in terms of what she did was what she did with Mara. Of course, who could blame her? IMO KJA laid the foundation for it, despite what Admiral M. says. The other was Irek. I hated (and no everyone, "hate" is not too strong of a word in this case, in fact, it's an understatement) that character... He even out-bratted the Jedi Brats. Ironically, his mother was my favorite Babs character....Go figure.

Darth Maul (ed to death) Hah! Great name! Sounds like a lyric in some of the music I listen to.

Ulic, I did find myself re-reading some of her work as I was reading it, When I realized I was speed-reading to get to the next part I found that when I slowed down to a point where I was literally at the speed of talking to myself her books were very easily followed...and infinately more enjoyable.

D.L. yes, Callista made things very interesting...I really hope we see her again, with an accomplished author handling her, and My God not as a "Dark Jedi", I'd hate to see a Dark Jedi wielding a "Dolphin Lightsaber"...I have a rather soft spot for dolphins, the damn things always look happy.

2. Rogue Jedi

Oct 9, 1998
    Jade's Fire, Interesting concept (Daala/Callista--B.Hambly/KJA) poetic justice maybe? I also enjoyed the Luke/Callista storyline even though I'm as staunch a Luke/Mara Jade supporter as one gets. One of the things that I didn't like in terms of what she did was what she did with Mara. Of course, who could blame her? IMO KJA laid the foundation for it, despite what Admiral M. says. The other was Irek. I hated (and no everyone, "hate" is not too strong of a word in this case, in fact, it's an understatement) that character... He even out-bratted the Jedi Brats. Ironically, his mother was my favorite Babs character....Go figure.

Darth Maul (ed to death) Hah! Great name! Sounds like a lyric in some of the music I listen to.

Ulic, I did find myself re-reading some of her work as I was reading it, When I realized I was speed-reading to get to the next part I found that when I slowed down to a point where I was literally at the speed of talking to myself her books were very easily followed...and infinately more enjoyable.

D.L. yes, Callista made things very interesting...I really hope we see her again, with an accomplished author handling her, and My God not as a "Dark Jedi", I'd hate to see a Dark Jedi wielding a "Dolphin Lightsaber"...I have a rather soft spot for dolphins, the damn things always look happy.

3. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    It was hinted once that Del Rey may sign Babs (she is one of their house writers) to write a Callista prequel and a Callista post VotF novel that will be tied together. that would be cool. Seeing her hang out with Young Anakin Skywalker, then remembering and telling Luke...

4. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    It was hinted once that Del Rey may sign Babs (she is one of their house writers) to write a Callista prequel and a Callista post VotF novel that will be tied together. that would be cool. Seeing her hang out with Young Anakin Skywalker, then remembering and telling Luke...

5. Rogue Jedi

Oct 9, 1998
    D.L., you've just hit on something that's been bothering me but for a while I couldn't figure out why...Untill you just mentioned Callista, hanging out with young Anakin Skywalker...For some reason, the image I got (which I know was the wrong one) was Callista with the post-J.A.trilogy Anakin. In other words, Anakin Solo. I KNEW there was a reason I really disagreed with the naming of Han & Leia's third child - Anakin. Brings back memories of the fish hook I removed from my mouth when you dropped the line on the BDD Bulletin board of KJA naming Luke & Mara's twins Ben & Beru. Wild Bill and I both went for it hook, line and sinker as I remember.

[This message has been edited by Rogue Jedi (edited 01-11-99).]

6. Rogue Jedi

Oct 9, 1998
    D.L., you've just hit on something that's been bothering me but for a while I couldn't figure out why...Untill you just mentioned Callista, hanging out with young Anakin Skywalker...For some reason, the image I got (which I know was the wrong one) was Callista with the post-J.A.trilogy Anakin. In other words, Anakin Solo. I KNEW there was a reason I really disagreed with the naming of Han & Leia's third child - Anakin. Brings back memories of the fish hook I removed from my mouth when you dropped the line on the BDD Bulletin board of KJA naming Luke & Mara's twins Ben & Beru. Wild Bill and I both went for it hook, line and sinker as I remember.

[This message has been edited by Rogue Jedi (edited 01-11-99).]

7. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    But Ben and Beru was no joke... well not one I meant people to believe.

8. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    But Ben and Beru was no joke... well not one I meant people to believe.

9. Jades Fire

Jades Fire Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1998
    Upon further thought, I must concede that Callista did make things interesting. My very strong Luke/Mara support sometimes clouds my objectivity. People can have several love interests in their life even if the don't end up together. It certainly opens things up to have her reappear later, force-sensitive or not, Light Side or Dark Side. If she does reappear, I'd have to go with Rogue Jedi and say I don't want her to return as a Dark Jedi, only to be dispatched by Luke or Mara. The emotional tension would be interesting if handled deftly. It would be nice to see her return, reconcile with everyone and helped train new Jedi.

10. Jades Fire

Jades Fire Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 1998
    Upon further thought, I must concede that Callista did make things interesting. My very strong Luke/Mara support sometimes clouds my objectivity. People can have several love interests in their life even if the don't end up together. It certainly opens things up to have her reappear later, force-sensitive or not, Light Side or Dark Side. If she does reappear, I'd have to go with Rogue Jedi and say I don't want her to return as a Dark Jedi, only to be dispatched by Luke or Mara. The emotional tension would be interesting if handled deftly. It would be nice to see her return, reconcile with everyone and helped train new Jedi.

11. MON CAL WARRIOR

MON CAL WARRIOR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 1998
    Come on, this thread has had an author get mad, forumers dispute and just overall chaos. I can't let this thread die!!

Come on her novels are terrible, there is more reasons to dislike her!

12. MON CAL WARRIOR

Dec 4, 1998
    Come on, this thread has had an author get mad, forumers dispute and just overall chaos. I can't let this thread die!!

Come on her novels are terrible, there is more reasons to dislike her!

13. Jeremyguy

Jeremyguy Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1998
    Hey, I'm on the side of those who liked CotJ and PoT. I'm afraid I can't cite anything from them now, as my books are all boxed up at home while I'm at school, but suffice it to say that I liked them enough (despite their faults) to read some of her non-SW work--and I've found that quite enjoyable as well.

14. Jeremyguy

Jeremyguy Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1998
    Hey, I'm on the side of those who liked CotJ and PoT. I'm afraid I can't cite anything from them now, as my books are all boxed up at home while I'm at school, but suffice it to say that I liked them enough (despite their faults) to read some of her non-SW work--and I've found that quite enjoyable as well.

15. MasterSunTzu

MasterSunTzu Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 1999
    People have the right to hate someone. The fact that they do it because they dont like someone's books just points them out as childish and small-minded, but that is besides the point. (This is not refering to anyone on this thread. Im simply responding to the idea that people somehow shouldnt hate someone else just cause it might hurt their feelings. If you cant handle childish people saying bad things about your writing, then it shouldnt be out in the public forum where those people can read it.)
    As for Hambly's books: I speed read most of the book because I was waiting for something to happen. Instead of simply portraying a rich world, where you had to read slow simply because there is so much stuff going on, I found Hambly's books to simply be bogged down by slow text.

16. MasterSunTzu

Feb 8, 1999
    People have the right to hate someone. The fact that they do it because they dont like someone's books just points them out as childish and small-minded, but that is besides the point. (This is not refering to anyone on this thread. Im simply responding to the idea that people somehow shouldnt hate someone else just cause it might hurt their feelings. If you cant handle childish people saying bad things about your writing, then it shouldnt be out in the public forum where those people can read it.)
    As for Hambly's books: I speed read most of the book because I was waiting for something to happen. Instead of simply portraying a rich world, where you had to read slow simply because there is so much stuff going on, I found Hambly's books to simply be bogged down by slow text.

17. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    See, Tsun, it was the speedreading.. you just can't read a book quickly as possible and expect to like it. I like books that trip you and make you think about what is going on, and give you wonderful descriptions. Books should be enjoyed and remembered, not churned, spit, and forgotten.

18. Darth Ludicrous

Jun 25, 2000
    See, Tsun, it was the speedreading.. you just can't read a book quickly as possible and expect to like it. I like books that trip you and make you think about what is going on, and give you wonderful descriptions. Books should be enjoyed and remembered, not churned, spit, and forgotten.

19. Khabarakh

Khabarakh Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 1999
    What was a shocker to me was going from Bab's Droning in her books (which i thought were OK but a little boring) to KJA's arttery-cloging-action-and-bouncing-you-around-worse-than-a-ping-pong-ball plot in the same trilligy. Confusing? You bet!
    As for Bab's books, they had a lot of emotional stuff where other SW books didn't.

20. Khabarakh

Khabarakh Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 1999
    What was a shocker to me was going from Bab's Droning in her books (which i thought were OK but a little boring) to KJA's arttery-cloging-action-and-bouncing-you-around-worse-than-a-ping-pong-ball plot in the same trilligy. Confusing? You bet!
    As for Bab's books, they had a lot of emotional stuff where other SW books didn't.

21. MasterSunTzu

Feb 8, 1999
    I said MOST of the book. Meaning, I read the first part of the book and found the text dry, so I read faster the rest of the book.
    Some books are good enough to catch my intrest, like Shogun, for instance, so that I read the thing very slowly. Ive read the damn thing about 10 times, and everytime I reread it, I get some new nuances. THAT is good writing. With Hambly's books, I just found her writing lacking in decent storylines. Maybe she did write more emotional stuff. So what? I look at the overall story, instead of just a small portion of it, to decide if I like it or not. In other words, the question is, was it an enjoyable experience reading the book? No, and the reason for me is the text was dry. The individual nuances of the book must combine into a larger, better whole product, or, like an equation, the one part that is wrong will throw the entire thing off.

22. MasterSunTzu

Feb 8, 1999
    I said MOST of the book. Meaning, I read the first part of the book and found the text dry, so I read faster the rest of the book.
    Some books are good enough to catch my intrest, like Shogun, for instance, so that I read the thing very slowly. Ive read the damn thing about 10 times, and everytime I reread it, I get some new nuances. THAT is good writing. With Hambly's books, I just found her writing lacking in decent storylines. Maybe she did write more emotional stuff. So what? I look at the overall story, instead of just a small portion of it, to decide if I like it or not. In other words, the question is, was it an enjoyable experience reading the book? No, and the reason for me is the text was dry. The individual nuances of the book must combine into a larger, better whole product, or, like an equation, the one part that is wrong will throw the entire thing off.

23. MON CAL WARRIOR

Dec 4, 1998
    Sh**. I thought I was posting something coherant, and it turns out I wasn't helping anything, except making myself looks more ignorant and stupid..

24. MON CAL WARRIOR

Dec 4, 1998
    Sh**. I thought I was posting something coherant, and it turns out I wasn't helping anything, except making myself looks more ignorant and stupid..

25. Lost in Coruscant

Lost in Coruscant Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 31, 1999
    If she hadn't continued saying how much pain Luke was in, I would have forgotten.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.