main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Talyn.....Starburst!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Errant_Venture, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    [insert character's last words]

In all the Sci-Fi shows and movies one predominant theme is a faster than light travel and many shows/series use hyperspace (Star Wars, Stargate) some use FTL drives (Battlestar), others Warp (Star Trek) and some are original such as Farscape's Starburst technique.

Which method of FTL do you as a viewer prefer? The overdone hyperspace and warp? Or do you prefer something a bit more original such as the Starburst? I myself like either the FTL of BSG or the Starburst of Farscape.

2. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Moya.....Starburst!

3. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    While Starburst is interesting, I gotta say that the FTL jump in Galactica is the best, from the red-blue flash and the noise.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Warp speed ahead Captain. ;)

5. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    In the BSG mini-series, I seem to remember there being a sort of "mass shift" right before the ship made its jump. There were a few interior shots where the room seemed to enlongate and shrink at the same time right before the ship jumped. I remember Prez or Dee saying something like, "Oh gods, I'd forgotten how much I hate this." I really thought that did a good job showing the phsyical realities of faster-than-light travel.

Does anyone else remember this? I've only seen the mini-series once and it was a long time ago.

6. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Yep I remember it. Reminded me of them jumping in Wing Commander [face_sick]

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think that technically still happens- they just don't show it anymore (all FTL jumps are shown from the exterior now) to avoid using the "zoom while pulling back" effect.

I really like Babylon 5's approach of Hyperspace being an actual dimension you can enter and exit but do not need to maintain engines to stay in it- you can just stay there if you want. And that the related use of jump points is very dramatic as far as a visual goes. Suddenly having the sky full of blue vortexes can be a frightening sight when you know each can bring you many enemies.

8. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    Does anyone remember a movie where the crew (of young hot people) had to undress before the jump to hyperspace could be made? I can't remember the title, but I remember that was absolutely the worst, most blatantly "hollywood," hyperspace idea ever.

I'm thinking now that it was called Supernova, or something equally bland. It might have had James Spader in it.

crappy movie

9. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    ]

Yep, that was Supernova.

I think that gravity drive(if it worked properly)from Event Horizon or the ability to foldspace from Dune would be cool.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah that was Supernova. The mandatory nudity aside, the effect of the ship riding an energy beam through space was actually quite cool though.

11. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Yeah, I love those shots. I blelieve that it's created while the camera is pulled back, but they zoom on the character slightly.

I forgot the words-

Prepare for jump.

Jump 237 complete.

12. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    You mean there is one where you have to undress prior to jumping? What was the point of that? I mean how are clothes going to be any different than skin?

I think the FTL drives aboard the Colonial and Cylon units tend to fold space/time as it appears to be nearly instant travel either that or all they do are short jumps. I did like the ulling back bit and it was Kalie who said she hates that part.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    IIRC (and I might not, as I try not to remember as much of Supernova as I can), with their type of FTL travel, if you had any clothing on it would merge into your body during travel (the same effect can occur if more than one person/creature share the same stasis pod- with some very messy results).

14. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    I always liked Cowboy Bebops stargates.

15. jangoisadrunk

Mar 7, 2005
    I also love the way the BSG ships can jump from a standstill and are almost always askew relative to the camera position when they come out of hyperspace. It show that they, again, seem to have an understanding of the physical realities of FTL travel, and the lack of up and down in space.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.