main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Tangled] let the roses come and go (adventure/romance/drama - UDC VI) Updated June 5!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Idrelle_Miocovani, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Title: let the roses come and go
    Author: Idrelle_Miocovani
    Fandom: Tangled
    Genre: the everything (adventure, romance, drama, humour)
    Characters: the everyone
    Summary: Rapunzel waited eighteen years for her life to begin ? but others had it start much sooner than that. A collection of glimpses and moments from the lives of all the characters from Tangled, written for the Ultimate Drabble Challenge VI.
    Notes: I don?t know exactly which style I want to do drabbles in this time, but I think I?m aiming for each week?s set focusing on a different character or situation. Oh, and titles. Because I think titles are fun.

This UDC VI is also dedicated to Mira_Jade, because she introduced me to Tangled via and excellent set of sentences for her 50 Sentences Challenge. Otherwise, I would never have seen and enjoyed this Disney flick so much. [face_love] :* Oh, and she also introduced me (via her own inspiration) to e.e. cummings (who is AWESOME!). As such, I have ?Mira-fied? my title by taking a line from cummings? poem lily has a rose.

PM List
    Jade_eyes, Raphire

[blockquote][b]I. Double-Sided Mask[/b][/blockquote]

[b]Lights![/b]

There was something very attractive about the idea of a blank history. If your origins remained buried beneath the legends of your own creation, then there were no preconceptions save those you wanted. No one judged you if you were the orphaned child of lowly merchants, struggling to sell their wares in city streets. No one looked down on you if you had spent your teenaged years begging in back alleys for crusts of stale bread. You were free to become someone else, someone new, someone? better.

That was what Flynn Rider believed when he hid Eugene Fitzherbert away forever.

[b]Camera![/b]

Reputations from scratch were easy. Who knew the effects of walking into a tavern, calling for the finest beer and putting your feet up (casually) on the best table could be so positive? Within seconds a number of disgruntled patrons were complaining about his presence and demanding a name.

?Flynn Rider? followed by the words ?Haven?t you heard of me?? worked like magic.

Tavern patrons were the same the world over ? they all fought to outshine each other, and soon a chorus of ?Oh yeah, weren?t you the guy who (insert clever incident here)?? built all the backstory he needed.

[b]Action![/b]

His choice to become a prosperous thief was not unfounded ? it was what he was good at. The pre-orphanage years on the streets had taught him a thing or two about pickpocketing. The post-orphanage years on the streets had taught him about a thing or two about breaking-and-entering (with a little accidental arson on the side).

Due to his reputation built on lies and others? imaginations, he was quickly given leads to thief lords and certain nobles who required undercover operations to gain their desires.

It went splendidly, most of the time, and his fame swelled ? but not his wealth.

[b]Roll![/b]

The Lost Princess? crown was supposed to be his last job, but he knew he would continue afterwards. The crown was the path to wealth. Too many times had he been robbed of proper pay; he had done the work and gained almost nothing for his efforts. Not this time ? even if a foreign nobleman hadn?t hired him, anyone of the right stature would pay a fortune to have the treasure hand-delivered to them on a platter.

Once he was wealthy, he could continue his antics in comfort and style ? if a horse hadn?t gotten in the way, that was.

[b]Shoot![/b]

In two days, he came to that tower twice. The first was on a rescue mission to save his own sorry hide, fleeing with the Lost Princess? crown; the second was on a rescue mission to save the girl who turned out to [i]be[/i] the Lost Princess.

The god of irony was definitely at work.

Flynn Rider would have been too selfish to save Rapunzel; he would have taken the crown and ran. The persona of the clever thief

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Idri! If you're keeping a PM list, I'd love on it.

A wonderful instanttaneous immersion in a world and insightfulness of characters, as few others can do.

You and Mira are the queens of multi-fandoms in all their uniqueness and intriguingness.

=D=

=D=

You really have found your perfect match in the arts as a career @};-

[:D]

(My only complaint [face_laugh] is it keeps you from the boards too much)

[face_love]

Jade

3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    IDRI!!!!!

You are too brilliant/awesome/amazing/fantastic/(choose positive adjective of choice) for words!!! :eek: [face_love] [:D] [face_dancing] [face_why_don't_we_have_an_ecstatic_face?!]

This UDC VI is also dedicated to Mira_Jade, because she introduced me to Tangled via and excellent set of sentences for her 50 Sentences Challenge. Otherwise, I would never have seen and enjoyed this Disney flick so much.

Wasn't it brilliant?! I am just glad to have been able to return the introducing-to-awesome-fandoms favor. :p ;)

Oh, and she also introduced me (via her own inspiration) to e.e. cummings (who is AWESOME!). As such, I have ?Mira-fied? my title by taking a line from cummings? poem lily has a rose.

I knew that that quote was from somewhere shiny. [face_laugh] e.e.cummings may be the best thing since chocolate covered espresso beans - but that's just my (very) biased opinion. He makes the muse want to lower case something fierce, that's for sure. :p [face_laugh]

Now, for the drabbles themselves. :D [face_dancing]

Lights: This was the perfect insight on Eugene's character if ever there was one. =D=

Camera: Clever idiot. :p I can totally 'see' that scene panning out. Wonderfully done!

Action: That's how it seems to go at times. [face_laugh] That, and this line: (with a little accidental arson on the side). was made of complete win. Just saying. ;)

Roll: Because Maximus is awesome. :cool: Once again, you're doing a great job getting into Eugene's head. =D=

Shoot: Oh! This was a wonderful way to tie up your theme for this week. I just had a huge grin on my face at the end of these.

And this:

Flynn Rider would have been too selfish to save Rapunzel; he would have taken the crown and ran. The persona of the clever thief masked a much crueller man than he?d thought.

And maybe ? just maybe ? hidden, forgotten, orphaned Eugene was honestly who he was.

Perfection. [face_love] Of the epic kind. [face_love]

Yep, you have made a very exuberant fangirl of me! [face_dancing]

Thank-you, again! [:D]

~MJ @};-

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Those were beautiful!! I nice mix of touching and humor :D

5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Nice set of drabbles and a great read

6. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I really enjoyed this film, Idri, and love these peeks into Ryder?s mind.

Lights- It?s clear, here, that Eugene thinks his past is the worst part of him.

Camera- Clever and insightful. Flynn?s confidence comes through in your words.

Action- Ironic that his reputation was unfounded, but his skills were still equal to the tasks afforded him. Nice.

Roll- Flynn?s desire for ?comfort and style? seem to drive him pretty hard. That darn horse!

Shoot- I prefer to think that a combination of past and present, Eugene and Flynn, is what emerges in the end.

Great set, Idri. I look forward to more!

7. Raphire

Raphire Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2008
    You know if people keep on writing such amazing Tangled stories I think we have a shot at making the NSWFF Awards be less HP and Star Trek this year!

Also I entirely blame Mira for my Tangled muses as well. [face_laugh]

These drabbles tho... [face_thinking]

Amazing!!!!!!!!

You got inside Flynn's head so well! I loved them so much and I cannot wait to see your next posts!

Please add me to your pm list.

8. Salacious_Drabb

Salacious_Drabb Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 24, 2007
    Oh, Tangled. I think I saw that movie. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I saw it. It had the, uh...

No, I kid. I did see it. And this is a great set. Tangled is a challenging fandom to pick, and I really want to see how this turns out.

9. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Jade_eyes
    I'll try to keep a PM list going, just for you, dearest. :* I'm so glad you're enjoying! And yes, my one complaint, too, is that my career keeps me away from the boards! [face_laugh] Oh well, I do what I can, and I'm always thrilled that you're here whenever I show up! [face_love]

Mira
    Thanks, girlie! You're the best! I think we need an ecstatic face, too. :p And yeah, e.e. cummings is totally responsible for all lower casing in fan fic. :p [face_laugh]

Flynn's quite the clever idiot, isn't he? :p Thanks for your comments!

Nat
    That's what I enjoy writing best! [face_peace]

earlybird
    Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed. :)

brodiew
    Thanks! Flynn/Eugene's an interesting character to try to figure out. Plus, he's a fun one.

I prefer to think that a combination of past and present, Eugene and Flynn, is what emerges in the end.

Good point! I agree with you - but at the moment of that drabble, the character did not. :p

Raphire
    I'd love to see Tangled take over. :p It would be hilarious! Writing Flynn was fabulous, but for the next few sets I want to give each character a bit of attention, too. ;)

Salacious_Drabb
    The master of all drabbles in my thread? :eek: Thanks for dropping by! [:D] I always love a good challenge, and your prompts almost always provide that, Drabs, so I'm looking forward to the rest of the sets, too. I can't wait to see clever ways in which I can twist a prompt. :D

Thanks for reading, all! [:D]

10. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    II. The Little Tower Room

Adventure

It happened by accident.

One moment, she was scaling her walls; the next, she was tumbling towards the floor with a yelp. She squeezed her eyes shut as the flagstones rushed towards her, but they never reached her.

Heart pounding, she opened one eye and cautiously looked around.

She was suspended mid-air, her hair knotted around the rafters. She held her breath, waiting to fall, but it never happened. Yelling with delight, she flung her arms wide as if they were wings and threw her weight to one side.

Rapunzel soared around the room ? and promptly smashed into a wall.

Romance

There had to be more to life than her tower.

Rapunzel loved her tower and Mother very much, but she couldn?t help wondering whether there was something out there she was missing. Whenever Mother was home, she tried to keep a sunny disposition, but as the years passed, that became harder to do as her dreams grew bigger.

The world was so close, yet so far away ? she glimpsed it whenever she looked out the window and imagined the people she could see, the places she could go, the dreams she could experience.

They were there, just waiting for her.

Science

When Rapunzel was little, Mother told her how her hair was magical, how it could heal, how she was a precious flower that needed to be protected from evil men who would cut it, destroying its power for cruel, selfish reasons.

As she grew older, she no longer needed to hear the story. She thought about whenever she brushed her hair, or when Mother asked her to use her power. And she wondered, If my hair can do so much good, then why can?t I be where I can use it?

Why keep me from the people I could help?

Fiction

When she taught her how to read, Mother said, ?These stories aren?t real, Rapunzel. Remember that. There are no heroes out there, only villains.?

Rapunzel didn?t care. She devoured the stories with awe and delight. She read about princesses poisoned by evil stepmothers; headstrong women captured by evil beasts; courageous girls who braved the dangers of the forest. Best of all, each tale had a valiant prince who fell in love with the heroine for ever after.

She thought it was perfect ? until Mother took the books away, saying she was too old for fairy tales.

But she never forgot.

Comedy

Rapunzel was making a cake when the little ball of green came flying through her window, landing directly in the batter, splattering it everywhere. She yelped in surprise, staring in shock at the green thing floating in her bowl.

The ball squeaked as it sank deeper into the batter. She suddenly realised it was an animal and quickly scooped it up, lying it on the table and waiting.

The green thing hiccoughed, spitting batter into her face. She giggled, and gently petted its head.

They immediately became fast friends ? though Pascal never did learn to like the taste of cake.

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent and wistful set.

=D=

12. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    These were just all too sweet. [face_love] You chose an interesting set - Rapunzel's childhood, something that definitely left you with a lot of room to play with, and you certainly delivered. :D

Adventure: [face_laugh]!! Such a 'Disney' moment. :p I could see that one playing out in my head, and had to fight back a giggle - like I was five years old all over again. :p

Romance: I liked how you used the prompt! Rapunzel is such a dreamer and a romantic, and you perfectly captured that wistful yearning here. [face_love]

Science: The girl's a smart one, and she's starting to figure it out. :cool:

Fiction: This was my favorite of the set. :D Just so spot on on every level. :D

Comedy: [face_laugh]! And an official origin story to squeeze into my 'head canon'. :p

=D=

~MJ @};-

13. Raphire

Dec 19, 2008
    I've been trying to find a way for her and pascal to meet! Yours was perfect!

I can't wait for more!

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Adventure was fun!! And Comedy was so cute--I love that story of Rapunzel meeting Pascal!!

15. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Jade_eyes
    Thanks, dear! [:D]

Mira
    I'm trying to do "origin" drabbles for the main characters. ;) Rapunzel's childhood is an awesome chance too good to give up. :p And Pascal is too cute of a sidekick for his own good... silly chameleon! [face_love]

Raphire
    Thanks! I wanted to do something that felt right for both characters. :D

Nat
    While I like how all of the drabbles turned out, Adventure was my favourite to write, followed closely by Comedy. :)

Thanks for reading, all! [:D]

16. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Ever wonder where Mother Gothel came from?

... well... [face_mischief]

[blockquote][b]III. She Who Vowed Immortality[/b][/blockquote]

[b]Wings[/b]

Like many children before her, Else was unwittingly taken in by Mother Gothel.

She was lost, wandering the forest in a torn dress and muddy boots, starving and thirsty. She was a little girl, confused and crying, doing all she could to stay alive in a world of sharp brambles and wolves with glowing eyes. She didn?t have the courage to go back ? after all, she was mute. Her parents hadn?t wanted a mute daughter; otherwise they wouldn?t have given her to the forest.

Gothel found her weeping by a stream and carried her home.

And Else?s new life began.

[b]Unforgiven[/b]

Gothel cared for her and fifteen others like her. She fed and clothed the children, bathing them, sheltering them ? and for that, she expected payment. Nothing came without a price.

?Don?t worry, child,? Gothel said after Else?s first night. ?A voice is not necessary for hard work. Keep up with your duties and you will be rewarded.?

Else did as she was told. She was wholly obedient, for she would not fail again. She had finally found a place and she intended to stay. She would not allow herself to be thrown from this new home, as some children were.

[b]Rocky[/b]

Of all the children, Else was the best; she was also the only one to stay. After three years, the fifteen others disappeared. Gothel said they left of their own accord. Else didn?t believe her, but she knew better than to ask. She had her suspicions about Gothel.

For Gothel always found new children to replace them.

It didn?t change much. Without a voice, those new children always bullied her. Else was alone, separated, completing her chores without complaint. Even though Gothel praised her and punished the others, Else couldn?t help wondering what it would be like to be them.

[b]Titanic[/b]

?Else, it is time for your reward,? Mother Gothel said.

Ten years had passed and Else had blossomed into a young woman. Gothel remained very much the same ? beautiful and terrifying as always.

?I wish to make you my apprentice,? Gothel told her, leading her towards her study ? a room Else had been forbidden from entering. Else hesitated, uncertain of what Gothel meant, but the Mother held up a finger.

?Time for questions later, pet,? she said, pushing the door to her study open. Else blinked, blinded by the light in the study. ?I want to give you a voice.?

[b]Crash[/b]

Else tasted freedom and felt like she could soar. She was a witch?s apprentice. She had a voice. She was learning her own magical art, step by step. She had never been happier.

It ended too soon.

Else?s life came crashing down when she returned home to find the house destroyed and Gothel dead, set aflame by frenzied villagers seeking to kill the witch of the forest. Else fled that night, vowing revenge on the murderers and their descendants for all eternity.

She was alive. She was powerful.

She was the new Mother Gothel, and she would outlive them all.

[hr]

Thanks for reading! [face_hugs]

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    How fascinating Idri. Totally believable origin and deepens the Rapunzel legend very nicely. =D= @};-

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Wow!! It makes me feel bad for her for once; that cruelty was learned.

19. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh . . . wow. [face_hypnotized]

There is so much that is shiny about this that I don't even know where to start. :p

I like the idea that it was sort of like a Dread-Pirate-Roberts move for Gothel - Else, I mean. [face_thinking] The idea that she was one of many who was used for a twisted woman's purposes, and then turned into the exact same thing herself . . . There are chills here. So many of them! =D=

And it gives a whole new level of meaning to the magic being accessed by song. Just . . . brilliant! =D=

~MJ @};-

20. Raphire

Dec 19, 2008
    Wow that explains quite a bit. i really really liked this post. It was positively brilliant!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.