main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tantive IV Destruction....

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by darkknight_152002, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkknight_152002

darkknight_152002 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 2, 2003
    In ANH Tantive IV was the Rebel ship used to transmit the Death Star design plans and data, but it was captured by the Star Destroyer near Tatooine. What if, instead of capturing it, the Imperials destroyed the ship with the data still in it in addition to those on board?

Do you think the OT could have occured at all? Would Yavin have been destroyed at the command of Grand Moff Tarkin? Would Luke have continued to live on Tatooine and have never encountered Obi-Wan? Would Han and Chewie still be smugglers?

How do you think the OT would have been affected if the Tantiv was destroyed?

2. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    Luckily the Tantive IV got away....

3. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    The Empire would never throw away anything as precious as information pertaining to the Rebellion.

But, if they did, Han and Chewie would still be smugglers anyway. That was their profession and they stuck to it. Later on they became Rebellion Heroes, now with the Tantive V destroyed, they definately would not become that.

4. Z-95

Z-95 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 24, 2000
    alderran would have been destoryed, luke would have been killed too, and the droids would have been in the hands of the empire.

now that leaves the question, what about Ben?

5. darkknight_152002

Nov 2, 2003
    alderran would have been destoryed, luke would have been killed too, and the droids would have been in the hands of the empire.

Alderaan would have certainly been destroyed, but the droids could not have been captured by the Imperials if the Tantive and all aboard were destroyed.

What would have happened to Old Ben, or Yoda for that matter?

6. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    Despite Leia dying on board the Tantive IV, Tarkin probably would have blown up Alderran anyway.

I think the base at Yavin would have remained a secret until the Imperials discovered it somehow, leading to either the DS blowing it up or a ESB-style invasion.

Wedge Antilles would have led Rogue Squadron through the entire war. Porkins, Biggs, and the other Yavin pilots would have flown in his squadron.

I was recently at a Timothy Zahn book-signing and he said his character Talon Karrde is what Han Solo probably would have become had he not stopped in the Mos Eisley cantina that day for a drink. I think that's very true. Han would have still been working for Jabba, but over time carved out a smuggling empire for himself, with Chewie as his trusted right-hand man.

I think Obi-Wan would have eventually forced the issue (knowing Yoda was out there and not getting any younger) and got Luke off of Tatooine somehow. Maybe they would have headed straight to Dagobah and both Ben and Yoda would have trained Luke. They would be even more desperate, knowing "the other" (Leia) was dead.

Luke would have been trained up, joined the Rebellion, and led them to victory against the Empire. I have no idea how the whole Luke-Vader relationship would have played out then.

Which characters would have been Luke's companions, with the droids, Leia, Han, and Chewie all out of the picture? Any thoughts?

7. Z-95

Z-95 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 24, 2000
    Which characters would have been Luke's companions, with the droids, Leia, Han, and Chewie all out of the picture? Any thoughts?

maybe all his friends that were cut out of ANH, like Camie and her boyfriend and those two other dudes at Toshi Station. he would have met up with Biggs if Biggs was with Wedge's squadron.

8. darkknight_152002

Nov 2, 2003
    Despite Leia dying on board the Tantive IV, Tarkin probably would have blown up Alderran anyway.

I think the base at Yavin would have remained a secret until the Imperials discovered it somehow, leading to either the DS blowing it up or a ESB-style invasion.

Wedge Antilles would have led Rogue Squadron through the entire war. Porkins, Biggs, and the other Yavin pilots would have flown in his squadron.

I was recently at a Timothy Zahn book-signing and he said his character Talon Karrde is what Han Solo probably would have become had he not stopped in the Mos Eisley cantina that day for a drink. I think that's very true. Han would have still been working for Jabba, but over time carved out a smuggling empire for himself, with Chewie as his trusted right-hand man.

I think Obi-Wan would have eventually forced the issue (knowing Yoda was out there and not getting any younger) and got Luke off of Tatooine somehow. Maybe they would have headed straight to Dagobah and both Ben and Yoda would have trained Luke. They would be even more desperate, knowing "the other" (Leia) was dead.

Luke would have been trained up, joined the Rebellion, and led them to victory against the Empire. I have no idea how the whole Luke-Vader relationship would have played out then.

This would literally create a new OT...if GL could create a parallel OT in this setting it would be amazing.

Obi-Wan would have known about what happened through the Force, and he could probably sense Lord Vader's presence. I'm certain that he could find a way to have Luke taken off Tatooine, even if it resorted to persuading Luke and telling him the truth before they left, and convinced Owen and Beru to allow him to take Luke. There really couldn't be another way I can percieve. Luke would likely have Yoda and Obi-Wan as his companions in this quest, and he may be able to contact the Rebel Alliance through some method. I'm certain the Alliance would be receptive to Obi-Wan as he was a general during the Clone Wars.

Luke may be able to contact Biggs, Wedge, and the other pilots.

What I wonder is how Obi-Wan and Luke would have been able to reach Dagobah...

9. darkknight_152002

Nov 2, 2003
    Just another thought, but if Han and Chewie were never involved in the story, then would Lando still have remained the Baron Administrator of Cloud City?

10. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    If the Tantive IV were destroyed, the Empire would have no idea where the Rebel Base is (although they'd find it eventually), and when the Death Star comes out of nowhere at Yavin IV, the Rebels will have no idea how to attack the DS, they would fail miserably, Yavin IV would be destroyed, the Rebellion crushed, and the Imper grip on the galaxy even tighter, so Han and Chewie would have a hard time getting around.

A side note: When it was first formed, the Empire kept a close eye on 'local matters' and such, but when the Rebellion broke out, it had to concentrate on quelling the insurgents rather than dealing with minor crimes. If the Rebellion were gone, smugglers would have a harder time going under the radar.

11. darkknight_152002

Nov 2, 2003
    It is possible that Luke would have been involved with the Empire. He did want to go to the Academy with Biggs, but Biggs defected from the Empire to join the Rebellion. Luke could eventually joined the Empire. With himself in closer reach of Lord Vader and the Emperor, there is the possibility of him being discovered by one of the two and he would have been trained, butled to the Dark Side and being bound to the Emperor's will.

With Leia dead, the crew, droids, and all Alliance information stored above the ship lost, this would be a victory for the Empire although they did not confirm whether or not the data was destroyed. The Rebellion would have an even more difficult struggle with the Empire because Luke was not able to join. Yavin's wherabouts would not be known until a later time. The Rebellion may not have based their operations on Hoth and ESB would not have been as it is, if it even made it that far into the saga.

What do you think would have occured with those who defected or joined the Alliance later? What of the Bothans, Mon Calamari, and Imperial defectors? Would they rather step down and not oppose the Empire, or would they have had more resolve to do battle with the Empire until they were dead?

And what of the Death Star?

And Lando? Would he have remained Baron Administrator of Cloud City?

Han and Chewbacca would still be working as smugglers, or would the Empire wage war with the smuggling business?

Where was Mon Mothma during ANH? Ackbar?

If the Death Star did approach Yavin, would the Alliance have been able to flee in time, or would it have been destroyed?

Would Tarkin have decided to destroy Alderaan? What of Bail Organa?

Would Obi-Wan have found a way to serve the Alliance, or would he have stay hidden on Tatooine? Would Yoda have remained on Dagobah? He must have had a way onto the planet, so he may have a way off of it as well. This could have been a saga of Obi-Wan attempting to save his own pupil through his own means and energies.

The destruction of the Tantive IV would change the saga so drastically, that it would be a completely different story. If only the first few minutes of the film showed the Tantive IV being utterly decimated...

12. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    Alderaan might not have been destroyed, unless Tarkin wanted to make an example of the planet purely because the Tantive IV came from there.

Obi-Wan most likely still would have trained Luke with Yoda's help. He wouldn't have been required to deliver the droids to Alderaan so may not have found his way onto the Death Star to face Darth Vader.

With Luke undergoing training (and never having met Leia, Han or Chewbacca) he would not have rushed to face Darth Vader at Bespin. He would have probably achieved the level of Jedi Knight before facing Vader and the Emperor. Plus Ben might have been able to show Luke some more advanced lightsaber fighting skills (though maybe Yoda already did that offscreen).

The Alliance would still continue to battle the Empire, though it could possibly be Luke's defeat of Vader and the Emperor, and possibly with Obi-Wan's help, that would end the Civil War.

13. Delorean_Kenobi

Delorean_Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 14, 2003
    Accidently posted message twice.

14. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    The odds of Alderaan being destroyed would be extremely small. Tarkin chose the planet in order to convince Leia to divulge the location of the Rebel base, but if the Tantive IV had been destroyed, Leia would be dead - and he would have no incentive to destroy Alderaan.

Luke would probably have lived for at least another couple years with his uncle, before probably going off to the Academy, where Vader may have been alerted to his presence. From there, either he trains Luke as a Dark Jedi or Luke escapes somehow - and I find it highly possible that Obi-Wan manages to meet up with him somewhere.

As for the Rebellion... it would struggle militarily without any way to fight back against the Death Star, but the Death Star would also increase the number of people fighting for the Rebellion, although the increase would likely not be continuous.

15. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    the tantive IV actually was destroyed, ut says so in the novelisation but something occured to me when i read i, Jedi last night.

would luke have gone on to the academy? It's likely bu vader would have picked him out with the name "skywalker" on the application.

16. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Yes, the Tantive IV was destroyed, but the idea is what if it was destroyed before being captured - and all aboard really were killed.

As badly as Luke wanted to go to the Academy, I'm pretty sure it would have eventually happened, even if he had to secretly apply and run off to do it.

17. darkknight_152002

Nov 2, 2003
    As badly as Luke wanted to go to the Academy, I'm pretty sure it would have eventually happened, even if he had to secretly apply and run off to do it.

And by doing that he would be within the Emperor's grasp.

The location of Yavin would not have been known, but it could eventually be known by the Empire. The Death Star would be dispatched to any major threats, but it would serve well as a weapon against capital ships. If it were used on enough planets it would disrupt galactic commerce, both legal and illegal, and that would hurt the Imperial economy no matter what. Fewer resources would mean the Empire would have less to devote to it's own preservation, and once it's power dwindles, the Alliance would strengthen at its expense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.