Taoism and disappearing Jedi

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Mex, Dec 20, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Since I hadn't read the book, can you tell me what was George Lucas's reasoning behind the Force?

2. Naccha Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Jauhzmynn...sorry it took me awhile to get back to your question...been busy with school. Anyways here are some quotes by Lucas in the Time magazine interview with Bill Moyers on the topic of the Force...

LUCAS: "Ultimately the Force is the larger mystery of the universe. And to trust your feelings is your way into that."

Why he had to bring those midichlorians into it I'm not sure...

MOYERS: "One scholar has called Str Wars "mysticism for the masses." You've been accused of trivializing religion, promoting religion with no strings attached."

LUCAS: "That's why I would hesitate to call the Force God. It's designed primarily to make young people think about the mystery. Not to say, "here's the answer." It's to say, "Think about this for a second. Is there a God?..."

LUCAS: "That is what the "use the Force" is, a leap of faith. There are mysteries and powers larger than we are, and you have to trust your feelings in order to access them."

Interesting ideas into the Force philosophy. What I like about it is everyone can come up with their own ideas, there is no wrong idea, on what they think the Force is and what it means to them. Using the term the Force erases the preconceived ideas that society has about the nature of the higher power/God which decidedly are masculine in nature, more in western religions than in eastern philosophies/religions... Like your name btw...it's cool.
  3. Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Thanks on the compliment of the name.
    personally I haven't a problem with a masculine God. He's less prone to skitzophrenic mood swings us females have :)
  4. Naccha Jedi Youngling

star 3
    True enough...a pms God would definitely be diificult to deal with...I still prefer a non gender God though.
  5. AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Hello, everyone.

I find this thread very interesting.

interesting, because in Real Life I've begun working with what is known as "Reiki".

To me, there are many similarities to the force - except that it isn't able to make people into kinds of "Superheroes" ;) like Luke or Anakin.

I have the feeling as if this I know as Chi or Ki is like a flow of Energy within every living being. Sensitive people could be able to sense it.

It's like the Force in one aspect : It exists, but we don't understand it or how it works. ;)
  6. Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Bumping for Spike, as a test of some possible technical difficulties.

Kimball Kinnison
  7. mandragora Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm very grateful for reviving this old thread. I was the one who had started it in late 2000, due to a temporary loss of password and not remembering the email adress used for registration I now have this new nickname and account.

This subject on the disappearing Jedi has been adressed again in ROTS and we now have new information that seem to strenghten my theory in the opening post, according to which the disappearing of dying Jedi may be a concept from ancient chinese Taoism.

From the script of ROTS:
    YODA: (continuing) Master Kenobi, wait a moment. In your solitude on Tatooine, training I have for you.
    OBI-WAN: Training??
    YODA: An old friend has learned the path to immortality.
    OBI-WAN: Who?
    YODA: One who has returned from the netherworld of the Force to train me . . . your old Master, Qui-Gon Jinn.
    OBI-WAN: Qui-Gon? But, how could he accomplish this?
    YODA: The secret of the Ancient Order of the Whills, he studied. How to commune with him. I will teach you.
    OBI-WAN: I will be able to talk with him?
    YODA: How to join the Force, he will train you. Your consciousness you will retain, when one with the Force. Even your physical self, perhaps.

Now, this clearly points to the assumption stated in the opening post and later on that the ability to disappear is connected to the retention of consciousness and the ability to appear as a Force Ghost. Also, that this is an ability that may be learned by means of certain exercises.

What I find most exciting is the last quotation of Yoda: "[you will retain] Even your physical self, perhaps". Because it is stated in Taoist books on the training that at the highest level of exercises, death is transcended entirely. One can simply transform the physical body into the immortal body and back and leave this world or return to it at will.

I find it very hard to believe that these explicit parallels between the Jedi and the Taoist immortality are conincidental and not due to a careful read of Taoist philosophy. Any more thoughts on this?
  8. Masterskippy Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Wow. I've gone through several pages of this thread, and it's awesome.

I've only been practicing Tai Chi since early February, but I've never felt so connected with myself.

I've always been one of those people who've had a knack of ignoring or wake up when I sleep to sounds. But ever since February, I've found myself feeling my Chi energy, as Obi-Wan says, "Flow through me."

Three injuries I've suffered in my life (bad lower back, extremely bruised knee, and a broken leg that left a pin in my left hip) no longer bother me. If they do, I just focus myself, and they no longer bother me.

IMHO, Chi is the living Force.

I hope this thread (and others like it) continue to thrive..:)
  9. mandragora Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree that Chi is the Living Force, always have. :)

I would be interested whether there are Jedi teachings that they openly teach for the welfare of the general public, say, comparable Qi-Gong or Tai Chi? Or if it's all kept secret, within the order ... Any information on this?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.