Tapatalk recommendation: Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthScully, Jun 26, 2014.

?

Is Tapatalk a good mobile solution from a Mod/ Admin perspective?

Yes 3 vote(s) 30.0%
No 6 vote(s) 60.0%
Use something else (post your alternate solution below) 1 vote(s) 10.0%
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. DarthScully Force Ghost

star 4
    Hello Mods and Admin peeps,

Apologies if this is not quite the place to ask this, but I dont know where else I can post this question and get the feedback I need.

I would like to hear any feedback on the use of Tapatalk as a mobile solution for Forums. I am helping set up another forum elsewhere (dont worry its not Star Wars related ;)) and we are looking into what options we can use so its easy for our members to participate in our site when they are on their phones/ tablets.

Now I am using Tapatalk on my phone when I access the JC, but naturally my experience is limited from an end-user perspective. I'd like to get a first hand account of your experiences as Mods/ Admins implementing Tapatalk. Is this a good app?.... Should I be aware of certain drawbacks with using the app?.... Any tips/ tricks to maximize the use of the app?... Would you recommend me to use something else? etc etc.... Any feedback would be most appreciated :)
  2. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I don't use it but I know @Grimby does. Maybe he can comment..
  3. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    From our end getting Tapatalk to work properly mostly entails keeping the add-on up to date.
  4. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    The absolute worst thing about Tapatalk is how frequently posts are cut out of threads; I often have use Safari just to make sure I'm in the flow of a conversation, etc.

Thus, I'm sure for mods & admins, that's a huge problem. :p
    Last edited by DarthTunick, Jun 26, 2014
  5. JoinTheSchwarz Comms Admin & Community Manager

Administrator
    star 8
    When that happens, you simply have to reload the thread by dragging it down and releasing.

Modding from Tapatalk is not easy. It's a great platform for regular posters, but everytime I have to do anything remotely complex I find myself swapping to Safari. It's lack of a decent BBC format bar doesn't help much, either.
  6. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I know the Rebelscum forums use Forum Runner. Not sure if that's any better/worse.
  7. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    I didn't vote because I haven't actually used Tapatalk... but the reason I don't use it is because of all the issues and limitations I've read about from others. When I'm on my iPhone I just use the Safari browser.
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    I attempted to use Tapatalk once as a Mod. The experience was hellish.
    thejeditraitor likes this.
  9. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Tapatalk is a mess for regular posters. It fails at some basic things, such as displaying font (bold, italics, strikethrough, etc.) and spoiler tags properly, and it has plenty of bugs. It seems to vary based on the software updates, but it can be painfully slow to connect compared to every other program on my phone (a Galaxy S3, so it's not like I'm using some rare oddity). I can't believe it costs money because it's worse than any free app I've used (and it still has ads). The only reason it's better than just using the browser is because there is no mobile version of the JC, so everything is tiny.
    Last edited by Darth Guy, Jun 28, 2014
    thejeditraitor likes this.
  10. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    I tried using it for like 5 minutes, and then I gave up. Font sucks on it.
  11. jcgoble3 Force Ghost

star 4
    The Android version of Tapatalk is now free only. The paid (Pro) version has been discontinued.
  12. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
  13. GGrievous Chosen One

star 5
    Fixed.
  14. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    This has been my experience as well, with the iOS version on my phone. I still use it some but switch back and forth from Safari.

I downloaded Tapatalk HD on my iPad and gave up after one try. What a cluttered mess.
  15. thejeditraitor Chosen One

star 4
    i just hate seeing "Sent from my @%$% using Tapatalk!!!!!"
    Last edited by thejeditraitor, Jul 20, 2014
  16. Bazinga'd Dark Lord of the SWC/PT/ Spinoff Forums

Manager
    star 5

You can remove that. Check settings.

Yay on tapatalk for most functions.
  17. thejeditraitor Chosen One

star 4
    i don't use it i just hate seeing it.
  18. Bazinga'd Dark Lord of the SWC/PT/ Spinoff Forums

Manager
    star 5

It is kind of annoying, much like the same thing sent from a Android or IPhone email system.
  19. jcgoble3 Force Ghost

star 4
    The old default sig (IIRC, the default either has been or soon will be set to none for new app installs) is a bit annoying. But a little customization can make it cool.

Transmitted from Wild Space via my datapad's DROID brain
  20. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    Pretty sure the default sig has been "none" the past couple of updates for iOS. Not sure about Android.

Seeing the sig never bothers me and I've enjoyed some of the creative versions, but I don't use it myself.
    Brad_walker and jcgoble3 like this.
  21. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    Can't download Tapatalk onto my Galaxy S4 without signing up for a Google account first, so posting on the Boards with the basic browser, and drokking love it. Love it, love it, love it.

No idea why anyone even thinks about this Tapatalk app.
  22. Seagoat Force Ghost

star 4
    I've used it for all of 5 or 6 posts and my frigging god is it a pain. I normally just use my laptop. Only use Tapatalk on my phone when I'm nowhere near a computer for a while
  23. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
  24. Brad_walker Jedi Youngling

Never been a fan of tap talk, nor i dont know how to use it lol... any good?
  25. jcgoble3 Force Ghost

star 4
    Depending on who you ask, it's either great or it sucks. :p
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza