main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tapatalk recommendation: Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthScully, Jun 26, 2014.

?

Is Tapatalk a good mobile solution from a Mod/ Admin perspective?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  3. Use something else (post your alternate solution below)

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. DarthScully

DarthScully Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2001
    Hello Mods and Admin peeps,

Apologies if this is not quite the place to ask this, but I dont know where else I can post this question and get the feedback I need.

I would like to hear any feedback on the use of Tapatalk as a mobile solution for Forums. I am helping set up another forum elsewhere (dont worry its not Star Wars related ;)) and we are looking into what options we can use so its easy for our members to participate in our site when they are on their phones/ tablets.

Now I am using Tapatalk on my phone when I access the JC, but naturally my experience is limited from an end-user perspective. I'd like to get a first hand account of your experiences as Mods/ Admins implementing Tapatalk. Is this a good app?.... Should I be aware of certain drawbacks with using the app?.... Any tips/ tricks to maximize the use of the app?... Would you recommend me to use something else? etc etc.... Any feedback would be most appreciated :)

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I don't use it but I know Grimby does. Maybe he can comment..

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    From our end getting Tapatalk to work properly mostly entails keeping the add-on up to date.

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The absolute worst thing about Tapatalk is how frequently posts are cut out of threads; I often have use Safari just to make sure I'm in the flow of a conversation, etc.

Thus, I'm sure for mods & admins, that's a huge problem. :p

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    When that happens, you simply have to reload the thread by dragging it down and releasing.

Modding from Tapatalk is not easy. It's a great platform for regular posters, but everytime I have to do anything remotely complex I find myself swapping to Safari. It's lack of a decent BBC format bar doesn't help much, either.

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I know the Rebelscum forums use Forum Runner. Not sure if that's any better/worse.

7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I didn't vote because I haven't actually used Tapatalk... but the reason I don't use it is because of all the issues and limitations I've read about from others. When I'm on my iPhone I just use the Safari browser.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I attempted to use Tapatalk once as a Mod. The experience was hellish.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Tapatalk is a mess for regular posters. It fails at some basic things, such as displaying font (bold, italics, strikethrough, etc.) and spoiler tags properly, and it has plenty of bugs. It seems to vary based on the software updates, but it can be painfully slow to connect compared to every other program on my phone (a Galaxy S3, so it's not like I'm using some rare oddity). I can't believe it costs money because it's worse than any free app I've used (and it still has ads). The only reason it's better than just using the browser is because there is no mobile version of the JC, so everything is tiny.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I tried using it for like 5 minutes, and then I gave up. Font sucks on it.

11. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    The Android version of Tapatalk is now free only. The paid (Pro) version has been discontinued.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Son of a

13. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Fixed.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This has been my experience as well, with the iOS version on my phone. I still use it some but switch back and forth from Safari.

I downloaded Tapatalk HD on my iPad and gave up after one try. What a cluttered mess.

15. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i just hate seeing "Sent from my @%$% using Tapatalk!!!!!"

16. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

You can remove that. Check settings.

Yay on tapatalk for most functions.

17. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i don't use it i just hate seeing it.

18. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

It is kind of annoying, much like the same thing sent from a Android or IPhone email system.

19. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    The old default sig (IIRC, the default either has been or soon will be set to none for new app installs) is a bit annoying. But a little customization can make it cool.

Transmitted from Wild Space via my datapad's DROID brain

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Pretty sure the default sig has been "none" the past couple of updates for iOS. Not sure about Android.

Seeing the sig never bothers me and I've enjoyed some of the creative versions, but I don't use it myself.

Brad_walker and jcgoble3 like this.
  21. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Can't download Tapatalk onto my Galaxy S4 without signing up for a Google account first, so posting on the Boards with the basic browser, and drokking love it. Love it, love it, love it.

No idea why anyone even thinks about this Tapatalk app.

22. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I've used it for all of 5 or 6 posts and my frigging god is it a pain. I normally just use my laptop. Only use Tapatalk on my phone when I'm nowhere near a computer for a while

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't care.

Brad_walker likes this.
  24. Brad_walker

Brad_walker Jedi Youngling

Sep 10, 2014
    Never been a fan of tap talk, nor i dont know how to use it lol... any good?

25. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Depending on who you ask, it's either great or it sucks. :p