main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[$$$] Target to charge for video game setup service???

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Grand Admiral Strife, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    Wow, I'm in the wrong job, man:

Target to charge idiots $99 to set up their game system

From later this month, the retailer will install new games consoles for customers. The charge? A mere $99. Because looking at the instruction manual is just too damn hard.

We should set up a JC-version. We'll undercut Target and charge $89 :p

2. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    If they can't set up the console, they're going to have a problem beating games. :p

3. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    wow... i don't really know how to describe what an utter ripoff that is.

4. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Hasn't Best Buy had something similar for awhile?

5. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Apparently those color-coded red, yellow and white cables are too complicated for some folks, especially when there are corresponding holes of the same color on every TV set out there.

6. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    Yes. Which makes me wonder how many people call up the Geek Squad and actually inquire about "how to set up a console". They wouldn't do it, and charge, if there was no market for it.

At least, I don't think they would.

Either way, if I really thought this was an issue, I would have done it years ago. And...so would many other gamers. 100 bucks a pop for setting up a system? I set up my PS3 in 4 minutes with internet connection. My 360 was less time. Really? With HDMI cables it's as simple as plug and play. And for standard definition users, it's even easier.

This is sad.

7. Wyndmage

Wyndmage Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2009
    Not bad ideal to make money. You could also carry along in your work truck extras like controllers, cables, cable extensions, power strip, ect.. in case the end user needs to buy a second controller or longer cables and what not. This could be quite profitable.

8. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Some people really need this.

I hate when people try to return a system because it "doesn't work" when they really just couldn't be bothered to set it up right.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Wow, geez- it'd be like paying you with a new game release and the gas to go buy it a state away.

That's ridiculous. I should slap a sticker on my car, toss on my Nintendo Tech Support shirt I got at Hot Topic or someplace like it and go make some rent.

Do you use birdseed or N-GAGEs to attract idiots?

10. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    If you can get away with it, I've got nothing wrong with doing this.

Seriously, if people are dumb enough to require this then they deserve to pay extra.

11. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Maybe it's like how some shops adjust clothes for a small price. I bet back in the day when everyone fixed their own clothes they were like: "you're charging how much to take up trousers?!"

But yeah, it's funny.

12. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Well, it's not necessarily a bad idea, especially when you consider that a lot of people have more than one thing hooked up to their TV at any given time: cable, DVD/Blu-Ray player, internet access, plus a variety of other stuff, not to mention more than one console. That can make getting all of them to work on one TV seriously complicated.

13. roxez

roxez Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2007
    Working there, I can confirm this is true (actually it rolls out this Sunday).

The setup includes such difficult tasks as plugging in the console, creating up to 5 user accounts (including signing up for XBox Live / PSN), and other essential tasks the mouth-breathers can't seem to figure out by reading the bloody manual. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm going to sell a lot of these... [face_frustrated]

14. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    We do the same thing with Geek Squad at Best Buy. Yes, to us it's completely worthless, but the Wii has attracted a new type of consumer that has no idea how these things work. It's hard for them to even fathom the idea that the system and the games come separately, let alone how to hook it to their TV.

Best Buy knows, as I'm sure Target does, that this is a very selective "product". Very few people will do this, but enough to make it worth having.

15. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I don't think I've even opened the manual for my 360 or my Wii. Even if you don't know what you're doing, it's a simple matter of plugging in the cords into the only hole on the machine they fit in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.