main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Tarkin: Big Bad of ANH or Co-Dragon?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers

Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2014
    I've had this argument in the past with people whether they consider Tarkin more of the "Big Bad" of ANH, or do they see him as more of a "Co-Dragon" with Vader, and that there is no "Big Bad" in ANH. I personally see him as more of a "Co-Dragon" with Vader, despite that he has some authority over Vader, because the Death Star is under his commend, but I've seen people call him the "Big Bad" of the movie, and I was wondering what the general consensus of this forum is regarding this question.

2. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    Co-Villains

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Co-Villains.

4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
  5. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I've never really considered ANH to have a central villain.

6. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I suppose it's chiefly down to how one reads the two characters and personal preference plays a part too. I think most here will likely say co but prefer Vader. Curious thing perception. :)

Saga Explorer likes this.
  7. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I actually don't know. It's an interesting question. He's a tremendous character either way. There's no ifs, buts or maybes with Tarkin. He just is.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  8. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    While Vader was the Emperor's enforcer, Tarkin was central. Definitely the political/military baddie and so interesting to watch. I always was spooked by his character (he gave the order to terminate Leia and Alderaan.)

He's my favorite politically inclined character from the Saga because of these reasons (Dooku a close second.)

9. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    The Big Bad, certainly. Their relationship is similar to that of Rosa Klebb/Red Grant in my favorite Bond film, From Russia With Love: a calculating tyro matched with a calculating hitman.

10. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    Tarkin had the authority but Vader had the power. Although Tarkin is in charge of the Death Star, the movie focuses more on Vader. I never saw Tarkin as the main antagonist. The moment Vader entered the Tantive IV, he became an act that is almost impossible to follow.

Tito-Wan Kenobi likes this.
  11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Tarkin's role throughout the making of ANH changed a lot. By the time of the fourth draft, which became the shooting script, Lucas had decided that instead of Vader being the big bad, it would fall to Tarkin and that Vader was just an enforcer. With Tarkin's death and Vader moving on to TESB, the focus shifted more towards Vader with Palpatine being his boss. Then in the early stages of ROTJ, it was Palpatine and Jerjerrord as the main baddies with Vader fighting to maintain his spot. Once this changed, Vader moved up as the secondary villain who was still a threat, but Palpatine was the overall main threat.

So with that said, now that we have had the PT come and go, it seems like Tarkin and Vader share that role of main villain in the film. Though Tarkin issues commands from a military standpoint, which is why Vader doesn't put up a resistance to being told to back off of Motti.

Saga Explorer and Andy Wylde like this.
  12. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

Because Vader has no respect for Motti. He doesn't really care if he lives or dies. Keep in mind it was Vader's plan to allow the Falcon to escape and track them to the base and he was the one to give the orders to launch the fighters. He was much more subvert in the use of his power.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Co-villains.

Tarkin was in charge of the Death Star and Vader deferred to him there but Vader was not second to Tarkin overall.

MOC Yak Face and Force Smuggler like this.
  14. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I think Tarkin's "officially" the main villain, but Vader's presence is so overwhelming that it might as well be him in everything but name.

I bet a lot of casual viewers wouldn't even be able to tell you what Tarkin's name is after the movie is over.

15. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I actually think there both the main villains in ANH.

Tarkin is the one who commands basically everyone, including Vader, and blew a whole planet.

Vader is the one who does a lot of the dirty work, going after the blockade runner, going into star fighter combat at the battle of the first death star and also appears to command a fare share of authority.

16. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Rare that people put them on equal footing. Commendable. =D=

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  17. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Co-Villians

Tarkin was in charge of the Death Star and Vader was the Emperor's enforcer and representative.

18. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I feel like Tarkin has a stronger presence in-universe while Vader has a stronger presence out-of-universe. If you watch ANH, you'll remember Vader, but if you live in the GFFA, you'll hate Tarkin.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tarkin has de jure authority while Vader has de facto authority. Few Imperial citizens were aware of the fact that in addition to being Sheev's enforcer, Vader was Sheev's apprentice.

If Vader and Tarkin are co-dragons, who's the big bad?

19. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Interesting explanation of shift of perception in the first part. I think it's a bit of a sweeping generalisation though.

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In last week's Star Wars Official Fact File (67) a point was made of how Vader (and the Inquisitor) appear on the Empire's propaganda posters.

The Vader one has a bunch of different military Imperials behind him (pilot, trooper, etc) and the slogan is "He can't do it alone..." with "Join the military and be one of the guys backing Vader up" being the basic message.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I meant more than 50%. I didn't mean literally everyone.

When I said a stronger presence, I didn't mean that the other has no presence.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  22. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I would think if you're afraid of someone you remember them. I think Vader being favoured really is largely to later marketing.

23. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I could see the Outer Rim (Tarkin's "stomping ground") having a different perspective on him to the Core - especially if there's lots of Tarkintowns rather than just the one.

24. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    As could I but I really don't need a 'who's supposedly more evil' contest between them. They both made rather poor choices that affect many.

25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    "Who's actions are the more recognised and high-profile in-universe" was more what I was thinking of.