main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tarkin or Dooku: The Hammer Connection

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by The_Sith_Prophet, Feb 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Sith_Prophet

The_Sith_Prophet Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2003
    Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee worked together for years in the Hammer Horror Films of yore; so my question is- which one of these ols partners do you enjoy better in the Star Wars saga?

Mod Edit: Edited title, "Vs" threads aren't allowed in this forum.

2. robfett

robfett Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2002
    Lee. Purly because of his voice. So commanding.

Rick McCallum thinks you're seriously deranged!

3. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    I'd go with lee aswell. He just hogs your eyes when he is on the screen.

4. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    I've also got to go with Lee. He's a brilliant actor. He's got it all, especially the voice thing down. Crushing was good to cast as Tarkin, but he dosen't command attention the way Chris Lee can.

5. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    Mind you Tarkin did have Vader next to him the whole time. If Lee and Vader were next to each other, who would you be paying attention to?

6. Chewsocka

Chewsocka Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2002
    Sure, Lee has the voice but Cushing is just so cold and ruthless as Tarkin. It is no problem to believe he would blow up a planet just to send a message.

7. YoungPadawanLearner

YoungPadawanLearner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2002
  8. Darth_Bog

Darth_Bog Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    "...a military target? Then name the system!"

He gets his answer and STILL blows up the planet. How can Dooku top that?!

I don't "fear" Dooku yet...and you get the feeling he's in big trouble in Episode III anyway.

9. Alabak

Alabak Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2001
    Both are great actors, but there's something special about Lee that puts him in a league of his own.

10. JediHPDrummer

JediHPDrummer Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 23, 2002
    Lee by far, Cushing is just your regular bad guy. Lee has more depth to him, he's not just a purely bad guy, Count dooku or tyranus is probably one of the most interesting characters in the SW saga next to qui gon.

11. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    I enjoy them both very much as charecters

But Lee brings such a sense of nobility and class to a villain that Dooku is more interesting to watch then Tarkin IMO

But Tarkin is still great in his own way

People agree, Tarkin and Dooku are both great

12. batvader

batvader Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    Both great genre actors. And very different SW parts. Tarkin was a military guy, a nazi-like character. Cushing played basically with stern looks and commanding voice.

On the other hand, Dooku is a Knight and a nobleman. It's no wonder that Lee had a very different approach as opposed to his long time friend.

If you have seen some of the good Hammer flicks, Cushing was really great.

13. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    Too bad this isn't a poll. Anyway, gotta go with Lee. Lee is an awesome actor.

14. Frank_Booth

Frank_Booth Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2003
    In Star Wars?

Cushing by a land slide. Dooku was really a nothing role, George should have written Lee a real role instead of Sid'a errand boy.

15. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Cushing is more powerful. He is scary without any special powers.

That doesn't take anything from Lee, I think Dooku is one of the best things to come out of the PT.

16. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    As much as I enjoy seeing Christopher Lee shooting Force Lightning and glaring down the camera, Peter Cushing as Grand Moff Tarkin is part of my childhood.

"You may fa-hire when ready."

;)

17. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002
    I also enjoyed Lee very much in AOTC but Cushing as Tarkin was wonderful too! It's close but I'll go with Cushing.

18. batvader

batvader Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    If only they had Michael Gough as another imperial alongside Tarkin...

19. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    They're both good actors, and great villians, but I'd take Dooku. Lee really has that commanding/sinister thing down pat :D. Tarkin is good too, but I enjoyed watching Dooku more. He's more interesting.

Tarkin had Vader practically wrapped around his finger though ... hmm ... it's close, but I'd still go with Dooku.

20. Im_a_person

Im_a_person Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2001
    Not to discredit Lee, I thought he was good, but Peter Cushing brought a cold ruthlessness to the screen. I never got the same feeling from Dooku.

I also like the fact that he didn't need the Force to be evil.

21. Darth Jamus

Darth Jamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    "Peter Cushing brought a cold ruthlessness to the screen. I never got the same feeling from Dooku."

Ruthlessness isn't exactly what Dooku is all about, now is it? He was a prominent Jedi Knight recently, remember? He isn't a cold blooded Imperialiist. He had completely different values than Tarkin, though having fallen to the dark side, is still very evil now. He didn't start out like that though. I get the feeling that Tarkin was a power hungry tyrant from the day he was born! Dooku had visions of making something better out of the Republic, he just chose the wrong path to make his vision come to light. That isn't the case with Tarkin, who relished in all of his acts of sheer evil. Two completely differing characters, but both very entertaining. I do like Mr. Lee a bit better though, with absolutely no disrespect intended for Mr. Cushing in any way!

22. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    I must agree on the ruthlessness part.

I like my villians ruthless and evil. Like Vader, the Emperor, etc. As good as Lee did, he didn't appear to be coldhearted enough to me.

23. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I like Dooku better. Lee does a brilliant job although Cushing does as well but Dooku is a better character and has more depth. He was once good and now is bad. I like those kind of characters. Tarkin is just bad.

24. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    "You may fa-hire when ready."

LOL

25. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Jamus has a good point though, Dooku was a far more three dimensional character for me than Tarkin was.

Were these guys ever in a Hammer film together? ?[face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.