main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tarot and the Star Wars Saga (Requesting Images!)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Katana_Geldar, Mar 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    This thread is for the discussion of the themes in Star Wars that can be seen in Tarot cards, both in the Major and Minor Arcana. If you wish to discuss Tarot in general please go to this thread. If for some reason you have a problem with Tarot for religious or personal reasons, please do not pollute this thread.

This is a weekly discussion of Tarot cards relating to Star Wars both in the thematic and literal sense. You?ll be surprised at how many of the themes of Star Wars are illustrated in Tarot. The Tarot is said to be a book disguised as a deck of cards, it also shows the various stages in life.

I plan to have a major and minor arcana card each week but due to the fact that I haven't found all the images to complete the deck this isn't possible at present.
    You can, of course, go back to a card if you wish to raise a further point but the discussion must keep moving on.
    The cards will be discussed in the following ways, in terms of their Thematic Meaning: the story behind the picture, their Literal Meaning: what the card really means as well as any general notes of interest.

In the spirit of sabacc, I have changed the suits of the Minor Arcana accordingly, otherwise everything is more or less the same in every regular Tarot deck. Cups=flasks, wands=staves, swords=sabers, pentacles=coins.

There will be some cards that due to the nature of them are from ROTS, while I would like to post them on here Dashy and spike said they would have to be on the epIII thread. Therefore when a ROTS card comes up I'll post a link if you want to see what I wrote on it and we go on to the one after it.

Give me a few moments and I'll make the first post on the fool

2. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/thefool.jpg]

0 ? The Fool

Thematic Meaning: This is the famous ?Binary Sunset? shot. Luke, feeling disappointed that he has to stay on Tatooine for another year is frustrated by his mundane existence.
    Yet we know this is merely the beginning of Luke?s journey, later when he sets off with Ben Kenobi he is still quite naïve about the perils that he will eventually face.

Literal Meaning: This card stands for beginnings and the unexpected. The essence of chaos, rashness, innocence and the unconventional.

Notes: Anyone who has read the Magic of Mythbook that was the companion to the exhibition will know that Luke is compared to The Fool when he begins his journey to learn about the Force and his father.
    Besides, this is one of the most favourite moments of SW when Luke was filled with hope for the future and disappointment at his current situation

This first stage of the mythological journey?which we have designated ?call to adventure??signifies that destiny has summoned the hero and transferred his spiritual centre of gravity to a zone unknown. ? Joseph Campbell, ?The Hero with a Thousand Faces?

What I love about ANH is that you could fix up the characters and the setting and put the story anywhere and I like to think that the story Obi-Wan told in The Approaching Storm was similar to the story of Luke and Leia.

3. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    I though the whole point of the fool in Tarot, and in any medievel story for that matter - was that the King or Queen actually kept him around because of his wisdom and insight to the ruler he serves. Its supposed to be like a sight gag because he's the guy that the visitors in the court are taking the least seriously, which is of course is advantageous to him and the person he serves. The fool is also a mystery. No known background or discernible age, androgynous, etc. I guess you really could put Luke in that category because his provincial look and bumpkin behaviour actually hide the saviour of the Galaxy long enough for him to destroy the deathstar without the force sensitive Palpatine or Vader sensing him.

4. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I though the whole point of the fool in Tarot, and in any medievel story for that matter - was that the King or Queen actually kept him around because of his wisdom and insight to the ruler he serves.

You raise a good point there as on my tarot deck the fool he/she is dressed in motley and I associate it also with truth teller. But the point is that he/she knows the truth, he/she doesn't know how to use it.

Here is the fool in the rider-waite deck

5. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    Sorry, but this question arises in my head : Isn't the Fool also in Sabbacc cards ? I think so, but I'm not sure ...

6. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Yes, but it's called the idiot.

7. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    And the Idiot is also worth 0 points.

Keep it on SW here people, this represents the start of Luke's journey. he has a general 'fanboy' response to adventure

8. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    K, that is something i have always wanted to have a sw tarot deck. can i put one in?? or is this all yours.

9. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    You can post a link of you like, but keep the discussion going. this thread is dying

10. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/themagician.jpg]

I ? The Magician

[/b]Thematic Meaning:[/b] Ben at this stage of the Saga is a mysterious figure, we aren?t exactly sure who he is or what his plans are. He of course deceives Luke in order to inspire him to follow his father?s footsteps and become a Jedi.

Literal Meaning: This card stands for the imagination as well as creativity and the strength of will. It also shows that things aren?t always as they appear and there is more to be revealed.

Notes: The only other person who could be the magician other than old Ben is Yoda, but he is later in the deck. Nevertheless the two could be swapped. As there is always a level of mystery about them.
    I chose this particular shot over another as it?s when Ben is explaining to Luke about the Force, he still is very much a figure of mystery and awe.

BTW, i am going to get into the PT eventually, it is in fact the next card

11. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    Sorry I took so long to get here!

Firstly, I think your pick of Luke as the fool works perfectly with the mythology surrounding SW and the plot that Lucas created using the standard formula of story telling (ie: "Hero of a Thousand Faces"). I've always read my cards as a type of story, so I like the idea of using such iconic representations ;) I see the Fool card as meaning making snap decisions about your future, for good or bad depending on the postion, so I think Luke works well as this card. I mean, he could have stayed safe and warm at home, right?

And now on to the Magician. Although the use of Ben in this card gives him an almost sinister feel, to use the classic line, he was sinister, "from a certain point of view" ;) My understanding of the Magician card is concealing true intentions and leading people on to further your own motives, so maybe I'm just projecting :p

I can't wait to see the next card :)

12. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    The Magician is always a mystery, always an enigma and his presence in a spread usually means there is a lot more to be revealed than at face value.

Which is what Ben is all about, we don't really know much about him from the OT aside that he knew Leia's father, he knew Anakin's father, he knew Vader before he was Vader and he was a Jedi.
    and what he reveals is even more contradictory and can;t be taken at face value.

as well as the fact that he's descibed as 'a crazy old wizard' !

thanks for coming PulsarSkate

13. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Even though there is a lack of interest I'll continue

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/highpriestess.jpg]

Thematic Meaning:
    In her robes and face paint, Amidala almost resembles a goddess in this form, she appears aloof and virginal. Yet it is not just her appearance which gives meaning to this card, she is guided by her own intuition in her fight to save Naboo.

Literal Meaning:
    This card usually means a strong feminine influence, particularly for men. It represents the unconscious mind, psychic ability and instinct.

Notes:
    Amidala was the obvious choice for this card even though she is also the next one. I considered putting Leia here but Amidala is much more fitting in her position and appearance.
    I chose this particular guise of her as it is so familiar and it is before she talks to Palpatine and starts unconsciously implementing his plans.

?Woman is the guide to the sublime acme of sensuous adventure. By deficient eyes she is reduced to inferior states; by the evil eye of ignorance she is spellbound to banality and ugliness. But she is redeemed in the eyes of understanding. The hero who can take her as she is, without undue commotion but with the kindness and assurance she requires, is potentially the king, the incarnate god, of her created world.? ? Joseph Campbell, ?The Hero with a Thousand Faces?

Looking at this quote and you take the ?hero? as Anakin who first sees her without the trappings of state it is no surprise that he falls in love with her and is overwhelmed by Amidala in her royal form.

14. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    No lack of interest here, I'm very much enjoying your treatment of the saga's characters. I've always been fascinated with character archetypes and who is fulfilling which. What you've done seems spot on to me so far.

I'm curious which (if any) Jar-Jar will fit into. 10 of swords anyone? ... o_O
    I very much think Lucas meant Jar-Jar to be the Campbellian "holy fool", which I understand is quite different from the Tarot's fool, but the roll is critically important. The fool is what enables the hero to succeed, and the fool is the one who tears down the order so a new one can be built. Unfortunately in execution I think he became more of a buffoon than a fool, but that is another topic for another time. ;)

15. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Jar Jar's in the monor arcana, the page but i forget the suit.

ten of swords means the sith has hit the fan and the best situation that was this was in the geonosis arena

16. Neo-Paladin

Dec 10, 2004
    Ah, I like that for 10 of swords.
    I was thinking along Jar-Jar with 10 sabers sticking into his back [face_laugh]
    And I'm one who thinks Jar-Jar is unfairly maligned o_O

17. Neo-Paladin

Dec 10, 2004
    Something just occured to me:
    are you useing shots from Ep III in this as well? There are a few shots from the trailor which would seem to me to fit really well. I had the tower particuarly in mind (can anyone guess which shot? ;) ).

18. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    Shhhh, Neo, I haven't seen it yet! :p

Another perfect character pick Katana! Amidala really is the unattainable ideal woman. Her symbolic makeup (I remember reading how the two black dots represent tears, the red line on her bottom lip representing the time when the planet was in turmoil and the white makeup meaning something...I can't quite remember...)

I've always seen the High Priestess card as representing intuitive, and Amidala represents that kind of force in the SW universe.

I have to admit I assumed you would use Leia (possibly in the award ceremony robes from ANH) but Amidala personifies the influences of the card along with the grace and temperance usually associated with the Priestess

19. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    yes, actually the next card is Eppy III but I can't post it! :_| Dashy's rules, not mine!

So we'll simply skip discussion on the next card and go right to The Emperor.

And I know what you are talking about for the tower, but I chose a shot from TPM, it was going to be from ESB but I couldn't find it.

yes, Amidala is seen as the ideal woman in some ways, the consort of the hero. She relies on her intuitive knowledge

20. Winston_Sith

Winston_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 8, 2004
    Speaking of 'The Emperor'...

From all I've read about Tarot, Emperor Palpatine can't rightly be represented on 'The Emperor' card, unless it's some kind of Sith/Dark Side Tarot, so, he must be 'The Devil', right?

21. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Correct Winston, Palpatine is The Devil as The Devil is materialism at it's worst.

I'll be away from a week so I'll post the first minor arcana card as well with the next major arcana. I'm thinking either sabers or flasks

22. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Okay, i'm posting two cards this time. The Emperor and the Ace of Flasks.

I cannot post the Empress as it's from ROTS. If you want my notes on it PM me. here is the image.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/emperor.jpg]

IV - The Emperor

Thematic Meaning:
    Qui-Gon is a father-like figure to both Anakin and Obi-Wan, he is also asserts a certain amount of authority particularly when he continues to believe against the council?s wishes that Anakin should be trained as a Jedi. He makes decisions that can be considered a little rash particular by Obi-Wan, yet is gentle with his Padawan?s shortcomings and is understanding when it comes to explaining his actions.

Literal Meaning:
    The Emperor is a strong male influence be it a father, husband or boss. The card also symbolises power, ambition and honour.

Notes:
    Again, another critical card to categorise. This was originally going to be Mace Windu but Qui-Gon is more of a father-like figure than Mace is.

Now for the first minor arcana! I know it makes it a bit cluttered but if we did it card by card then we'd be here for ages.

Flasks (Cups) is a feminine is also known as hearts and refers to the element of water. Flasks rules emotions and domestic comforts and is aligned with Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/Aceofflasks.jpg]

Ace of Flasks

Keywords: Love, abundance, perfection

Thematic Meaning: Faced with the possibility of death, Padmé gives in to her emotions and admits to Anakin that she loves him. When he questions her about it, echoing her words about why it was best for them not to fall in love Padmé admits that it was inevitable anyway.

Literal Meaning:
    This card normally indicates the start of love as well as inspired creativity and fruitful and happy times. There is also the possibility for artistic excellence, marriage, betrothal or birth. All affairs of the heart will prosper. It also can indicate that your wishes will be fulfilled and fertility and perfection are in reach.

Notes:
    This was originally going to be Leia declaring her love for Han at the end of ESB but AOTC is more appropriate as according to GL the love story is one of the central plots as opposed to ESB which is pretty much flirtation.
    One of my favourite scenes, I can repeat the dialogue word for word.
    BTW, if someone has a link to a longer image let me know.

EDIT: I'd also like to say at this point that i will be away from the Easter long weekend until April 4. Hope you call have a good easter and look forward to continuing this with you.

23. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    This is very interesting! I'll be back on April 4th for your next lecture.

Oh, if I may be so bold as to suggest a few illustrations? :D

Hermit: Old Ben
    The Universe: Galaxy at the end of ESB
    The Innocent: Jar Jar Binks
    The Empress: Mon Mothma
    The Chariot: Anakin's pod racer
    The Lightning Struck Tower: Alderaan go bye-bye
    The Devil: The Emperor (No guff right?)
    Judgement: Three Force Ghosts!
    The Hanged Man: Han in the Carbon Freezing chamber
    Death: Darth Vader (Gee ya think?)

:p

24. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Okay, I have a few issues with some of the card correspondances you've been picking...

Obi-Wan as The Magician? Traditionally, the figure of The Magician is held to be the same character portrayed in the card of The Fool, only at different stages of his development. Wheras The Fool shows a person at his most vulnerable, weak and devoid of reason, The Magician shows him at the pinacle of strength, power and knowledge. The tools at The Magiciani's altar (the wand, the sword, the cup/flask and the pentacle/coin) are the contents of The Fool's sack. He is unaware that he carries with him the tools of his own enlightenment, and must experience a fall in order to learn how to survive.

In my opinion, the best figure for The Magician would be Luke, circa ROTJ.

25. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Darth, you got a few right but Mon Mothma is only in the Minor arcana.

The podracer isn't anywhere, neither is Alderaan going bang.

as for Death, that keeps changing

the others, well if you visit my album on photobucket.com

Jedi, i understand your reaction but isn;t the fool suposed to be the World as well as the World is without a sex as the fool is as well.

I chose a more symbolic and thematic approach, having Luke as the magician even at the end of ROTJ would not make sense to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.