main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tarot and the Star Wars Saga (Requesting Images!)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Katana_Geldar, Mar 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard_Nixon

Richard_Nixon Jedi Youngling

Aug 4, 2005
    Though I don't personally believe in Tarot cards, they are neat to look at. Han in that carbonite as the hanged man is tight!

2. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I really need some help to complete the deck, if anyone has the DVDs as well as an image capture could you please contact me? I almost have all the images I need but there's a few TPM ones, as well as the ROTS one of Bail and his wife on Alderaan that I can't find anywhere

3. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    firstly I must thank Wester547 for the images that he has captured and sent. I'll be going through them tonight with the minor arcana one tomorrow.

Here is one of my favourites

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/death2.jpg]

XIII - Death

Thematic Meaning: After turning to the dark side, being betrayed by his wife and left for dead by his best friend, Anakin Skywalker is permanently scarred and deformed. He takes a new form that will spar terror into the hearts of all beings in the black armour of Darth Vader.
    Literal Meaning: Transformation, change which is a blessing in disguise. A clearing out which will make way for something better. Harsh fate which does not consider personal feelings. Very, very occasionally does the card signify death; more usually it means a major change in life. The old has to make way for the new. One door closes, another opens. A new beginning is certain.
    Notes: This is probably one of the most chilling images of Revenge of the Sith, it wasn?t hard to find but it took me a while to find a image that would fit. Firstly it was Vader?s funeral, then I decided it wasn't grisly enough so Grievous was it, then that wasn?t thematic enough and this was an (almost) perfect fit.

4. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Five of Flasks
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/fiveofflasks2.jpg]
    Keywords: Sorrow, loss, regret
    Thematic Meaning: Luke is sad after the loss of Ben as he not only represents a link to Luke?s former life but someone who had known his father and had given him the knowledge and the tools to follow in his footsteps. But as Han rather untactfully points out, they have to move on with their lives and not dwell on what is lost.
    Literal Meaning: Loss of relationship, sorrow, emotional hurt and a feeling of helplessness. You may feel that you life lacks meaning. However, although the card seems to be grim, the outlook is good and urges you to stop crying over spilt milk and look in another direction for happiness.
    Notes: Anyone who has read Joseph Campbell knows that the death of Ben is symbolic, as Luke must go on alone to become a hero eventually.

5. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Here are the next ones.

Enjoy

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/temperance.jpg]

XIV - Temperance

Thematic Meaning: Luke and Leia realise that they have different destinies even though they are linked, both in means of their ultimate goal and the fact they are twins. They work separately even though their ends is the same, and despite this it is impossible to divorce Luke?s fate from that of his sister as it is Luke?s link to Leia that is his ultimate salvation.
    Literal Meaning: A harmonious partnership and the combining of individual strengths, careful control of these can result in a successful conclusion. This card can also signify self-control and adaptability as well as the powers of the imagination.
    Notes: This is one of my favourite scenes in SW as it is the first mentioning of Luke and Leia?s mother and has more impact now with the prequels.
    Though it has more meaning in this concept with the combining of strengths and energies.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/sixofflasks.jpg]

Six of Flasks

Keywords:
    Memory, longing
    Thematic Meaning: Saddened by Yoda?s death, Luke is comforted by the spiritual presence of Obi-Wan. After questioning what Ben told him based on what he now knows, Obi-Wan reveals some important links to the past and that Luke?s destiny is inescapable. When Luke admits that he couldn?t kill his father and he feels as if there still is some good left in Vader, Obi-Wan is doubtful that Luke will succeed if he holds onto those emotions.
    Literal Meaning: This card indicates strong links to the past, perhaps an old friend or lover will turn up soon. It can show that childhood or past efforts are about the be rewarded. The answer to a specific question lies in a similar situation in the past. Possibly a move of home near to your point of origin. This is also a chance to look back on the past as there are links that connect it to the future.
    Notes: It is interesting about the ?similar situation in the past? as we all know how fond GL is of parallels as well as the question that was in Luke?s mind from the moment Vader told him: ?Why hadn?t Ben told me the truth??

6. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Although I have little of substance to add to the discussion, it does fascinate me :)
    I think my friend would enjoy this greatly!

7. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    I'll be away next week, so I'll give you two cards to make up for it.

This weeks cards

XV- The Devil

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/devil.jpg]

Thematic Meaning: With the war ending, the Jedi on the run and Anakin Skywalker as his disciple, Palpatine finally implements the final part of his ultimate plan: becoming emperor. No one can stop him possess what he sought after for so long: complete and sole domination in the galaxy.
    Literal Meaning: The Devil stands for materialism at its worst as well as greed, unyielding power, tyranny, depression and discontent. This card can also stand for an immovable obstacle that has to be worked around.
    Notes: Again, there were other moments, like in ROTJ even, where this could be illustrated, but this was perhaps the best choice.
    Also, I got this image in March or April and what it signified in the movie was nothing more than an educated guess.

Seven of Flasks
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/sevenofflasks.jpg]

Keywords: Whims, illusions, choices
    Thematic Meaning: This is one of the most pivotal moments in the entire Star Wars saga, when Luke realises how much like Vader he has become and refuses to turn to the dark side. The scene was very similar to his father?s turning but with a critical difference: Luke had strong evidence of what he would become if he was to follow the choice his father made.
    Literal Meaning: There are several possibilities and you have to decide. Examine your motives and avoid wishful thinking. An important decision has to be made but there are many options to choose from. Make your decision as all is not as it seems. Doorways of opportunity open but you have to develop intuition to know which one to go through.
    Notes: Nothing to add here. Does anyone have a long shot of this? The image here is not very detailed.

8. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    XVI ? The Tower

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/thetower.jpg]

Thematic Meaning: With Qui-Gon mortally wounded, his lightsaber lost and a Sith right above him ready to give the death blow, Obi-Wan is forced to reach into the Force and slay the Sith Lord, severing all ties with his former life.
    Literal Meaning: the breaking down of an outworn sense of values. A sudden shock that is nonetheless a blessing in disguise. Freedom from old, possibly self-imposed restrictions. Sudden disruptive change is inevitable but nothing is to be feared, since you will come through this experience a stronger person.
    Notes: This card was originally Luke falling though Cloud City, but when I couldn?t find the image I had to change it to this. It has been suggested though that this card could be Anakin as he is in a similar position in ROTS but not as symbolic. In this scene Obi-Wan forever rejects the dark side of the Force and with the slaying of the Sith and the death of his Master his life if forever changed.

Eight of Flasks

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Katana_Geldar/eightofflasks.jpg]

Keywords: Seeking, modesty, shyness
    Thematic Meaning: After believing the lies that Palpatine continually fed him about the Jedi, particularly Obi-Wan, continually holding him back, Anakin feels betrayed as he sees Padmé and Obi-Wan united against him.
    Literal Meaning: Don?t be afraid to leave the past behind. Travel. There is plenty more of the world to see and experience. If you are disillusioned with your life take heart the future promises to be brighter. Follow your heart and do what you truly want. This card can also mean at turning point you have reached that may lead to disappointment and the loss of friendship.
    Notes: An important thing to bear in mind that Anakin takes on the feelings in the first part of the literal interpretation but in the wrong way. The second part more closely illustrates what he does, but on an inverted scale.
    Again, I got this image before I saw the movie so it was a guess that turned out to be right.

MTFBWYA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.