main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Task #1 ~ Personal Essays

Discussion in 'Archive: Big Brother Strikes Back' started by RidingMyCarousel, May 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Well, I figured I'd start up a separate thread for this and all since cb said we'd be allowed to have a second thread for our essays. :)

I'll be editing mine in here in just a second. :)

Here's mine.
    Hi, my name is James! I'm a 19 year old college student and a waiter. Well, it just so happens that being both is rather not really exciting. I spend all morning in classes and studying and end up spending most of my evenings in an Applebees in my hometown serving people. Not that I really mind the people or the pay, but things could be more interesting and spiced up a bit. Ah well, as a certain someone says to me, "Applebees isn't your future." Thank the maker that she's right. :D As for the college bit, I've decided on education as my major and science as my minor; I'd like to be a science teacher when I'm out of college due to the fact that I love science and that I've always wanted to encourage people to learn.

Pertaining to my hobbies: I'm a musician. I've written and recorded over a hundred songs or so. Unfortunately, most of them are crappy and won't be heard because of one of two reasons: A) The recording quality sucks or B) I suck. And that's being honest. Some of my music has been released, but only the stuff that's been produced fair enough to not sound like crudola. And, of course, there've been a few JCers who've heard me play before (hint hint, nudge nudge). Oh! God, I've gone all the way to tell you that I record and write songs and haven't told you what I play! Sheesh! I sing and play guitar, as well as compose piano and orchestrated pieces. Actually, I'm doing the music for the Virtual Sequels project. And my first instrument was a shiny, red Ibanez bass. :D

As for my other hobbies... They include sleep, eating, talking to my girlfriend, sleeping, tossing and turning in bed, relaxing my head against my pillow, and closing my eyes and going off to dreamland. :)

For my future? Well, you really can't have a nice little paper-type-thing without a good quote. Well, for mine.. I'm going to rip off .. er. borrow... from Yoda. "Always in motion, the future is." And that's how my life seems. I'm going to be leaving North Carolina (finally! :D) within the next year or so to pursue my dreams of studying marine biology. It'll also help me get closer to a special someone, which is in all honesty, the real reason why I'm going. I could do the college elsewhere, but I just want to be with her. [face_blush] I'll also become a science teacher and such. I've always wanted to own my own small pizza/coffee place in a quiet, oceanside town. I love coffee and I love pizza. And with 3 years experience at a major pizza chain, I have an idea what to do. Though, there's a lot more to learn (the business side of things.. ew. :p). I've also wanted to release my own EP (about 4 tracks or so). And fortunately, by the end of this summer, I may just do that even if it is released independantly. :D

Oh and I'm 5'9, blue eyes, brown hair, etc. Oh, wait.. I can always link you to my picture. :p

[image=http://carosel.kimoptera.com/photos/coldme.jpg]

And yeah, well, that's me.
    I hope I didn't forget anything important.

Of course, when your mind tries to go back in time to stop Vogons from destroying your world and such, and when you try to find the meaning of the life, the universe and everything, you're bound to be a bit confused. Or perhaps even disoriented. Or perhaps just even a smoothie. You know, like having your brain in a blender. Ouch, um, nevermind, that's a bit too disoriented. No lobotomies for me! :D

~ James

2. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Hi, I'm Jason, but you can call me Jay or Maddog. I'm a 20 year old college student living in Brookings, South Dakota (South Dakota State University) and I'm currently looking for a job, and taking summer classes. I'm a Spanish major and I hope to get a job as an interpreter one day.

I'm into music. I enjoy hard rock and heavy metal most of all, particularly AC/DC, Metallica, Nazareth, Slayer, Pantera, Disturbed, Downcore and Alice In Chains. I like alternative/grunge music, such as Nirvana, Soundgarden, RHCP, and the Stone Temple Pilots. Finally, I'm partial to classic rock, particularly Jimi Hendrix, the Beatles, Foreigner, the Who, Led Zeppelin, the Moody Blues, and Simon and Garfunkel. They're in no way a complete list of bands I like, but it's just meant to give you an idea. :)

I'm a casual bassist, and although I really don't play much nowadays, I might get back into it one day.

I'm into James Bond. I've seen every single Bond film (I guess that's not much of an accomplishment, hehe) and I'd love to get into the Bond EU, but it's hard to find in my area so it'll be a while.

As for my future, I plan on moving to Colorado and getting my master's degree in Spanish. I'm not sure if I want to get a Ph.D and teach (I have no patience, hehe) but I'd love to interpret for a large company based out of Denver. I just love the mountains... and Colorado is such a beautiful state... except for the eastern 1/4th where it's just flat and brown.

I'm 5'10 (1.78 m for you non-Americans), black hair and brown eyes.

[image=http://www.strike9.com/file.aspx?path=/maddog31/fullsize/jaypssed.jpg]

I apologize if I look angry... it's probably the best picture I have, unfortunately.

3. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    Well hello there and thanks for reading, dear reader. My name is, quite simply, John Watson. It's a very common name. My name has been adorned on the liner notes of Silverchair's first album, a photographer, a Douglas Adam's character, and a Cherokee Indian chief (whom I'm actually related to). But I guess I shouldn't write about my name, I should write about me.

I'm 28, and part of the "working class", although calling what I do working is a stretch. I'm a pretty positive minded person, so I won't go into any depressing facets of my life, I'll just say that at this point in life, I'm reaping the benefits of paying my debts in childhood.

That said, I'm pretty much living the childhood I always wanted now. I'm a total 12 year old. I love toys. Especially with all the toys I always wanted as a kid being re-released now (Transformers, He-man, Star Wars) I'm a toy addict. If you've ever visited the website x-entertainment.com, you'll see someone with the exact same nostalgic fever. The '30 minute commercials' I was exposed to as a kid by watching all those shows were highly effective, considering I still want the toys 20 years later. But I guess there are a lot of us out there, at least on the internet.

As for other hobbies, I do a lot of things: paint, write fiction, write poetry, car mechanics, arcade game repair, sing, video game playing, house repair. I'm a tinkerer I guess. I'm not fantastic at any one thing, as I seem to spread myself thin by always being interested in many things at once. I'm a bit flighty and tangential because of that.

Socially, I've come to realize how anti-social I am recently. I don't hate individuals, I just hate people. I hate crowds, and mass opinions. In any given situation, I'll always be the oddball. I'm sure it's the fact that I'm so used to not fitting in, I try purposely to not fit in now, as it's a role I'm used to. I am married though. Why a woman would want to be around me a bunch is beyond me, but she's a great friend, and very understanding. And very patient.

As for a picture, I may be able to get one up later. I don't have many pictures of myself, because I find it odd to have a picture of myself, plus I don't like to look at myself in photos. I'm not horribly disfigured or anything, I'm just not my biggest fan.

Well, if you've read through all that, congradulations. Maybe you've learned something about me. Maybe I haven't said enough. Either way, it's amazing I typed all that without one fart joke.

4. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    In the interest of starting conversations, as cb suggested, go ahead and post your essays in separate threads. You may want to use the "Weekly Task 1" title prior to your thread title, but you don't have to. Thanks!

:D

(Yes, I know, I'm already organizing. :p )

5. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Hey guys, I know this is a bit late, but... sort of in a better "get to know you fashion", Katya and myself thought that we should each have our own threads where we can ask questions of each other instead of having the one thread altogether with everyone's post.

:)

Edit: Darn you for beating me, Kat! ;)

6. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    I may be old, but I'm quick, man! :p

7. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Hehe, true enough. Okay, well, um, should I repost mine since the other posts can't be edited out now? :p

8. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    I re-posted my essay in my thread. But there is much more in my thread that just that essay. Be on the lookout for a tribute to the Amish.

9. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Will there be a Weird Al cameo by chance?

10. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    I love a good tribute to the Amish. I might have a tribute to clogs in mine. :D

11. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    No, I don't think there will be any Wierd Al cameos. And no Kingpin references. And I don't think any Amish will ever read it. Well, maybe young Emmitt Jamesson.

12. JediPrincessKas

JediPrincessKas Jedi Master star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Does it involve a butter churning party?

JPK

13. B'omarr

Apr 7, 2000
    No, there is no butter involved. I am just a simple man, and I could never fathom the intricacies involved with churning butter.

No, my tribute will focus on a little Amish boy, who wanted to put zippers on his pants. All the other Amish thought he was crazy, but this boy, this young Amish boy, had a vision. Too bad he was ostricized from the community and forced to live a life on fishing boat off the coast of New Hampshire.

Just kidding. The tribute will just be about the Amish people I've met.

14. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Actually, I'm doing the music for the Virtual Sequels project.

Sounds terrific! I'm impressed.

Enjoy your time here, James!

15. RidingMyCarousel

Feb 20, 2002
    Thanks, Casper. :)

Hopefully it'll all turn out fairly well. I've got a bit done so far. But just a bit. :p

Hehe, you just had to reply to this thread and not the other one, didn't ya? ;)

~ James

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.