[Task week 1] Damien, meet Damien

Discussion in 'Big Brother 3: The Mods Strike Back' started by KaineDamo, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KaineDamo Jedi Youngling

star 5
    So yeah...

I live in Northern Ireland, Belfast. In the Short Strand. If you live in Belfast, you know the Short Strand has a terrible reputation, and it's one of the more crappy places for the war that is known as "The Troubles". A couple of years ago, we experienced something we call "Siege Of The Short Strand".

Through my childhood and through my teen years, I've grown up with some real ******** for peers. My area is Catholic, I was raised Catholic, my peers hate Protestants. Aswell as being religious bigots against Protestants, they're homophobs, racists, you name it. Thankfully I have good parents and I was raised in general naivety to those kinds of attitudes, and didn't even really become aware of it till i was 10. I was always aware of bomb alerts and things being thrown at my window and that kind of thing but I wasn't truely aware of the troubles 'till i was about 10. As a small kid i only knew that i should run from people that stop me in the street to ask what my religion is. It's only now, and in the last few years, that I truely realised what scum live around me. Drunks, joyriders, idiot kids that start riots for fun, etc etc.

I was bullied in school, but not terribly so. I was a good little Christian boy. Not a Catholic, but Christian. I say that because my parents never made it glaringly obvious to me that we're Catholics, as opposed to being Protestants. I went to Church (there are arguments between the two religions what to call that!) and prayed everynight. I tried not to sin. Slowly though, between the bullying and not being able to identify with ANYBODY in my area or school, and finding holes in logic my Religion teacher would use, and feeling that my prayers weren't being answered, I started to gradually move away from religion.

As a kid all I really wanted was to find people like myself, to be an individual, to play video games, watch cartoons, play with toys, be on my own. I had a lonely childhood, but I didn't mind that much. It's the bullying I minded, and I couldn't keep up in school. I was lost in my own world.

After the hell of Secondary School (thats High School for you!) a place where I fell in with a bad crowed and got really bad grades and didn't make a single friend that i still have, i went to tech. Tech is like a place in between High School and College. I did Multimedia there, and made real friends for the first time in my life. For the first time in my life, I met like minded people, i really found my individuality, and i grew up more there in two years than in my whole life. It had a big part in the person I am now. Being raised by good parents and as a good Christian also had a big hand, and so did Spider-Man! It sounds corny, but seriously. The Spider-Man cartoons helped me alot. I looked at the character and said "thats who i want to be". Not Spider-Man, but Peter Parker. Like a cooler older brother. But mostly just a good, intelligent man.

I became an athiest at about 13. But i still feel it's very important for people to be respectful to others, and bla bla bla. All that kinda stuff. I don't wanna bore you any longer.

Long story short, i've realised the BS of the people my age and younger in the Short Strand, i'm a good person, i'm trying to improve my education. My younger self would be extremely proud. I think my younger self was afraid i would turn into one of the ********. But the fact that i didn't listen to their crap and became my own person is my greatest achievement.
  2. Terr_Mys Force Ghost

star 6
    ...wow, Ireland's messed up. :(
  3. KaineDamo Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Ireland's messed up?? Funny. We say the same thing about America.

It's not Ireland thats messed up. It's a few bad areas, a few stupid kids, and a few old bigots that don't want to move on. See, when i got to tech a whole new world opened up. It was the first time i realised most people are decent people.
  4. Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Someday I plan to vist Northern Ireland, Central Africa, anywhere in the Middle East, and Burma.

After that trip I hope to be able to bitch about where I live a little less.

5. KaineDamo Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Well if you're visiting Northern Ireland to see the troubles, visit the real hot spots, during the really bad periods. The bad periods tend to be during the martching season. Then, you should visit the good places! Take a visit to the Waterfront and the Odyssey, shop around the city.

It's like L.A. i guess. Ya have the glitz and the glame and then ya have the parts that are torn apart by gang wars.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.