main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Tatooine Ghost," by Troy Denning [Del Ray, 2003]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by Errant_Venture, Apr 17, 2005.

?

"Tatooine Ghost," by Troy Denning [Del Ray, 2003]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

30.8%
  2. 9

26.0%
  3. 8

23.1%
  4. 7

3.8%
  5. 6 (Average)

5.8%
  6. 5 (Average)

1.9%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

4.8%
  9. 2

1.0%
  10. 1 (Poor)

2.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madakast

Madakast Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2005
    I recently read this book and was not terribly impressed. The best part without question was the connection to the PT, but it was overshadowed by tedious repetition. Oh look, Han is *still* wandering the desert. Oh look, *another* TIE fighter. And it's not like there's any drama or sense of danger because we know everyone's all right by the Thrawn Trilogy. Also, the Squibs were so annoying!

The saving grace of the book was the PT content, that was very well done and fascinating - except perhaps for Kitster's justification in stealing the painting. That was way too far-fetched to be believable.

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Gets a "9" from me! I loved it! :D Seeing how Anakin was regarded by those he left behind on Tatooine made the whole book.

3. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    I'm half through it and still thinking *hmmm* mostly. It's a good read but so far none of the new characterc actually came to life for me. And some of it feels just too - , forced, too wanted. Maxbe later in the book I will see why. So far its "adequat but not overwhelming."

4. Anapad Nabooine

Anapad Nabooine Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2005
    The main plot about the painting didn't interest me much and seemed a long shot for carrying a novel. I enjoyed Leia finding out more about Anakin and Shmi, but other than that it was a dry read for me.

5. DarkJedi_07

DarkJedi_07 Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2005
    I thought it was a good read, a 8/10. Denning captured Han and Leia's personas well, but theres a problem about her findnig out about her father in a book based b4 the thrawn trilogy and everything else. The reason is because no one in those books referenced Vader as a kid,and Luke/Leia never talks about their grandmother or anything. It's all a little to weird for me, but as they say, u can't have ure cake and eat it.

6. Genimay

Genimay Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    I liked it because it gave a break from all the fighting and space battles. Han and Leia were well written and so was Shimi. The trek though the desert dagged the tinest bit but not bad for a book with the strangest plot I have ever seen. 10/10 from me. What can I say. Leia fan.

7. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006
    i likeed this book because of its ties with the prequel movies. 8/10

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    It was a rather convuluted attempt to shoehorn the prequels into the OT, and it felt like the entire purpose of this book was just for that.

Consider the art of seduction; things are more compelling for us when we know little about them. The past of the Skywalkers would be better served as a mystery than to be fully revealed to them, as the author seems enamoured with doing.

E_S

9. JediRunner

JediRunner Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2005
    Love this book 10/10, one of my favorite SW books. I like how Leia learns more about her father n grandmother. The connections to PT and Post OT are great. The interaction between the Squibs and Han n Leia n Chewie are funny.
    The past of the Skywalkers can remain a mystery because you can simply write-off any book written about their past as a rumor or lie. In Myth when tales are told over n over again the truth becomes a mystery. IMO

10. Jedi_Enash_Sere

Jedi_Enash_Sere Jedi Youngling

Mar 28, 2005
    What I loved about this book was the fact that the story was very localised. It wasn't a story about Galaxy shattering events. I liked the fact Leia got to discover more about her father & her grandmother.

11. KrystinaSkywalker

KrystinaSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 27, 2005
    I really liked this book! It has a very Star wars feel to it, with great characterization and the sort of wry humor we see all the time in the movies. I also really enjoyed the PT stuff, particularly seeing the way Leia reacts to learning more about her father from people who actually loved him. I also liked getting a glimpse into Leia and Han's married realtionship before the kids, which is a part of their history (one of the few) we don't know much about.
    Recently, practically all the SW books have involved some galaxy dooming conflict, massive, galaxy spanning battles, and the usualy Solo/Skywalker heroes arriving just in time to save the day. And frankly, its getting rather boring. I appreciated that this book didn't follow that same pattern but instead followed a localized conflict which endangered several lives, but not the entire galaxy. It was very refreshing.

12. master_organa

master_organa Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 5, 2004
    10/10
    Denning's masterpeice.

13. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Anybody noticed that in the cover Han's scar in on the wrong side?

Anyway, the novel is a little better that other SW novels I've read, the carachterizations are really good, but I've would have liked that they settled to ONE character from Anakin's past, because it seems that everbody in Tattoine knew Ani. Another thing I noticed (along with someone else in a previous post) is that there's no explanation about how everybody knows about the Ani/Vader/Luke/Leia connection. Is it in another book?

14. Vader_The_Pimp6916

Vader_The_Pimp6916 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 17, 2005
    The book was good but far from the best. It seemed slow in some parts and was more information packed than action packed. Overall it was a good read if you're a star wars fan.

15. 1_4_Jedi

1_4_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2006
    8/10

As previously mentioned, this book gets high marks purely for it's strong tie-in presentation. I actually kinda liked the main story pretty well, even if some of the material was a bit played out already. Then again, I usually am a fan of Han/ Leia adventures in general, so that may have influenced me a bit as well. As a result, I think of this EU work as kind of a sleeper, because although I only read it for the sake of the timeline, it turned out to be much more entertaining than I was expecting.

16. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    I really enjoyed this novel, and the change of pace that it brought to the reader. There was no galaxy spanning event, no galactic crisis, just a great personal story, focusing on the Han & Leia relationship. Plus, added into the novel are some great prequel connections, as well as future foreshadowing with Thrawn, etc.

Another great addition to the Saga by Troy Denning.

17. Darth_gloom

Darth_gloom Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2005
    When Leia first saw the image of Anakin, I was overjoyed. A great moment from a great Star Wars novel. Then the book took one downhill plunge after another, like when she finds out that Anakin lived on Tatooine, after solving this neat mystery, and then calls Luke and he responds with: "yeah, I already knew that." It was pretty bad, but had some awesome moments, and it did connect the prequels to the originals, which I want to see a little more of. 4 out of 10

18. THE_PIED_PIPER

THE_PIED_PIPER Chapter Rep Knoxville, TN star 4

Jun 8, 2006
    Hello There,

This is the only book Troy Denning has written that I like. I love the tie-ins with the prequel trilogy, and the partial reconing Leia has with her father. Denning does write Han and Leia well, and that comes through in this book. It's a good read and even the not EU Saavy can understand it because it reflects the movies. Thrawn has his first appearance and Chewbacca is still alive.

THE PIED PIPER

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Unlocked by request.

20. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Thank you, dp4m.

Not one of my favorites. It started out well enough. I like any excuse for our characters to go back to Tatooine. Though it is a bit surprising that the planet that's "farthest from" the bright center of the universe always seems to have something big going. But that's neither here nor there. The first half works well, with Han and Leia's disguises and leading up to Han's super speeder chase. I liked picturing our heroes in disguise, but I could not see Han as a Devaronian. It's my limited imagination that makes all Devs look either like that guy from Mos Eisley or Villie.

After the Han gets trapped in the desert, I felt the book really started to drag. That's probably my one major complaint with the story. That, and the ending seems a bit rushed. It felt like it took a great miracle and a wonderful set of coincidences for our heroes to survive. It really seemed like every two minutes there was something else. I know the climax is supposed to be the big peak, but even so in this book it was all a bit chaotic.

I didn't realize that we even needed to bridge the gap between TCoPL and HTTE, but this actually does a decent job. Han and Leia's shifts in attitude are interesting, but I didn't remember Leia ever having misgivings about having kids. It maked sense, but it still seemed a bit out of the blue. Seeing Thrawn gearing up for his campaign is neat, but didn't really feel all that necessary. Still, it works as a lead-in to Thrawn's bigger, better Empire.

Other than that, I enjoyed the rest. I liked seeing Kitster and Wald all grown up. I'd actually wondered what would happen to them after Episode I. It's kind of nice to see Leia dealing more with her father's legacy. That little bit in Bakura was always a bit underwhelming. The connection to the prequels we all knew would be coming felt a bit contrived, but it was still nice seeing Leia get insight into her father through her grandmother, as well as giving us Schmi's story between I and II.

Nice read, but it could have been better. 5.8/10

21. Obilieveinme

Obilieveinme Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    Just a real boring story. Anakin and Thrawn stuff was cool...the rest weak. 5

22. Regan21286

Regan21286 Jedi Master star 1

Oct 18, 2003
    Beats the repetitive killing off of characters seen in other books. Always nice to see a tie-in from OT to the prequels.

23. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Agreed.

24. GrandAdmiralThrawn66

GrandAdmiralThrawn66 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 16, 2002
    Liked this book, though nothing memorable about it. 7.5/10

25. mspadme69

mspadme69 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2007
    This book gets a 10 for me because i couldnt not put it down! Its rare when that happens to me.
    It was exciting and worth the money.[face_love]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.