main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Tatooine. Less is more?.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by jawajunk, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    While I guess I could say that I'm open to the possibility, I'm not entirely convinced there should be a X, XI and XII trilogy. The PT tells us the story of Anakin, the OT Anakin / Luke, and, from what can be surmised, the ST the tale of Luke as he rebuilds a devastated Order and passes on his knowledge to a new generation of heroes. There is an elegence and symmetry to this design which I don't thing should be disturbed.

What I am just as excited to see as the ST are all of the pictures to come afterward, free of the episodic Skywalker format. This is not to say that among the plethora of new characters, settings, timelines and stories these independent films will deliver, there should be no more Skywalkers. Quite the contrary. I feel the new Skywalker/Solo heroes (if they are to appear) from the ST could star in their own adventures, with a premise set apart from the trilogy of trilogies. And who knows where the story could take us then?

2. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Now that Lucasfilm belongs to Disney, you can be sure there will be more movies after IX. Whether they're going to be new trilogies or standalone, time will tell. But studios do seem to love telling epic stories in trilogies.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    OP point: Yeah, Tatoonie should be a part of all the films, even a big part, because it being pointless and dust ridden and forgetten yet it makes all the difference in the galaxy is also kind one of the biggest points of the saga. Represented in this case, a planet.

Thread drift point: I says this before and I says this again - episodes 7-9. Then a bunch of standalones that bounce around the eras, maybe even an Old Republic trilogy or what have you, and then a 10-12. Wasn't this a 12-movie series way back in 1977 anyway? What I wanna know is, what did Lucas have cooked up for 10-12? Or were those just his goofy "one off" ideas?

4. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Pretty much yes. He keeps changing his mind, going back & forth - now we've got Eps 7-9 actually on the way - but he never said there was never a fourth trilogy of Eps X-XII. Twelve films, yes, but not four actual 'trilogies'.

All GL ever said about the remaining three films after he'd announced the trilogy of trilogies concept was that they were "tangential to the Saga". Based on all the available evidence, it's most likely that one was about Wookiees (basically done already with the Holiday Special & Ewok films), one about Droids, and possibly the other was about the formation of the Jedi & the Republic.

Whether or not these are the 'other stories' GL referred to in his interview with Kathleen Kennedy, I don't know, but it's most likely that once Ep 9 is done, further SW films could be one-offs, duologies, pretty much anything.

TreborSabreon and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  5. Maul Plagueis

Maul Plagueis Jedi Youngling

Nov 30, 2012
    I like tatooine. More in the OT. The only part about it in the PT was in the phantom menace. All of the scenes with tatooine in attack of the clones are just boring. Gotta love the podracing though.

6. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Considering that AOTC is the only movie in which Tattooine didn't bore me at one time or the other, I'd say that less is better.

7. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    I can see why you didn't like ANH :)

8. Roberto Calrissian

Roberto Calrissian Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I know Tatooine is the home of Luke, Obi-Wan lived there in his later years, Jabba lived there but what an ugly planet. The scenery is depressing. In the next 3 movies just show the planet just once and that's it.

9. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

How did you come to this conclusion? I don't recall all of ANH being set on Tattooine.

10. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Just kidding. I seem to recall you saying you didn't like ANH at first. I think it shows Tattoine more than any other movie.

11. Remember Adwa

Remember Adwa Jedi Youngling

Dec 4, 2012
    I wonder how the people of Modesto feel about Tatooine...

12. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

No. I merely pointed out that I used to prefer it over TPM. After a recent viewing, my opinions have changed. I now view TPM a little higher than ANH.

13. Trask Ulgo

Trask Ulgo Jedi Padawan star 3

Dec 8, 2012
    I like Tatooine, but for the next films I would like to see other, if not newly created planets, used. The Star Wars universe is so large, don't contain it to just a few planets.

Random Comments likes this.
  14. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Tatooine is something of a comfortable anchor for the series, it's not a planet that can be easily forgotten by the devoted audience.

But yeah, I'd rather they didn't go back & spend massive parts of the next trilogy there for the sake of familiarity.

Random Comments likes this.
  15. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    We discussed this in a topic about Luke's fate, but I'd be perfectly okay with the thought of Tatooine making just one appearance where Luke, after successfully passing on his knowledge to the next generation of heroes, walks alone into the setting twin suns of Tatooine to an unknown future (set to the sounds of "Binary Sunset," of course).