main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Tatooine Speculation Thread..Why go back?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jedirush2112, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    According to the rumors as of late (the Picture, Excutive confirming second Unit filming on the way in Abu Dhabi) rumors point to a possible return to Luke's Home Planet of Tatooine.

But why?

What possible reason could our Jedi Master have to return to his home planet, (Which really wasn't his home planet...(Insert Astroid name here).

Anyway, I think this could have something to do with him attempting to get some answers on Obi-Wan's decendant or something like that. I don't see why he would return to the farm except for sentimental reasons. Well, his landspeeder would be a classic by now! Regardless, I think It would have to do with the aforementioned.

Or Maybe he just want to confirm that Boba Fett is still being digested in belly of the All Mighty Sarlacc?

Discuss!

2. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    Luke had to go back and pick up his power converters :)

3. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Well, considering that Tatooine's been in all but one of the Saga films so far, I think there's probably a reason why it will be featured in the new films. I don't know why, yet.

I think Luke's line in ANH that went, "If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that is farthest from…" was great, seeing as how the planet was linked to the major changes the GFFA went through in both the PT and OT eras. ;) We'll see what the ST holds.

4. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Because it's the coolest planet of the lot....IMO

5. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    One could argue that Tatooine plays a large role in the personal history of the Skywalker family but that is true only for Anakin and Luke. The Skywalker/Solo descendants may not have anything to do with this place at all. It would make sense to go back if Luke were trying to dig up something from the past, but other than that... no. For the potential new Jedi Academy there are dozens of locations more suitable for various reasons, so I'd cross that one off the list. The planet is supposed to be a backwater and going back that often makes it feel less and less like a backwater. As it stands now, not counting a secret from the past, there is no reason at all to go back to Tatooine.

Dra--- likes this.
  6. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Luke's "bright center" comment was only his personal opinion. It doesn't necessarily reflect the reality.

7. Skellybobs

Skellybobs Jedi Knight

Sep 15, 2013
    Is it possible that Luke for some reason has returned to live there as a recluse?

8. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Maybe there's some part of Tatooine that's strong in the force in a similar way as the cave was on Degobah in ESB - particularly so if you're a Skywalker. Maybe it pulls them back there, and in E7 it's revealed why.

Hernalt, Jedirush2112 and purplerain like this.
  9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, those power converters aren't going to pick up themselves. Also, maybe Luke likes sand. Maybe he likes that it gets everywhere.

10. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Tuskan hotties?

11. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    It honestly sounds like its gonna be a very short, special effects driven scene if its second unit and JJ isnt there (at least we dont think hes there yet).

12. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Tatooine could be the birthplace of the Jedi. Pehaps it's where "The Skywalker" lived.

Darth Punk likes this.
  13. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Nice- where is the Jedi equivalent of Moribund?

14. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    To retrieve Jedi Holocrons in order to rebuild the Jedi Temple.

Tython.

15. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    According to the EU, Ossus.

Dewback likes this.
  16. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Either recluse or training Jedi would be my call. Other than that, I can't imagine what he would go back there for.

17. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    I was suggesting that Tatooine is the Jedi equivalent of Moraband.

Darth Punk likes this.
  18. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Oh, same place as this two...
    [​IMG]

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  19. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    We don't have to take Luke's word that Tatooine is a dump. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon scan it, or look it up, on Padme's ship and describe it as small, out of the way, poor, and Hutt-controlled. It has slavery; Republic Credits are worthless; and the Trade Federation has no presence there. Qui-Gon's tour-guide narration to Padme as they enter town doesn't make it sound any better. Let it be what it is supposed to be and said to be.

I think the only legitimate reason to go back at this point would be something related to Luke's personal life rather than some mystery from the past. Discovering some secret on Tatooine that requires an extended stay would be an excuse, not a reason. Yes, the writers could put a Jedi Temple there, or some lost artifact of the Jedi/Sith, but it would be obvious to everyone that those things were only being put on Tatooine so we would have an excuse, any excuse, to go back there.

It makes the most sense to me that Luke is in seclusion, practicing and meditating alone. Suddenly good guys show to ask for his help, bad guys show up to kill him, there's a brief action sequence, we see he's still got it, and then we jet off on a starship, never to see this miserable rock again. The only important thing about Tatooine should be that Luke is there.

TheFoot, Jedirush2112 and KeithyT like this.
  20. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Half of the United States had slavery at one point and paper money was worthless at one point.

21. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Maybe there's a nice bit, like Dubai

22. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    or it's become nicer since ROTJ.

23. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    Why indeed.

Honestly I could go without Tattooine.

Jedirush2112 and TX-20 like this.
  24. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

I would actually love to see that. With the fall of the Empire, prosperity has come even to the desert. Very "Dune."

25. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Maybe they get around like this

thejeditraitor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.