main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tatooine Spoilers?!?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by MoronDude, Apr 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    This struck me as odd. Why would any SW:CCG player or collector not want to know what the new Tatooine cards will be. Does anyone not wanna be "spoiled" about the new Tatooine expansion?

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I agree with you. I can understand why people don't want to hear about spoilers for Episode 2, because they want to experience it themselves.

But refusing to learn more about upcoming cards in the game is just ridiculous. The sooner you learn about them, the better you will be prepared for the gameplay once the set comes out. You will learn which cards you need for your decks, and how you can best use them and how to play against them. It does you no good to not learn about the upcoming cards..

3. Spud The Hutt

Spud The Hutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 1999
    Well, since it seems that no one here is opposed to spoilers then you should all check out the new article on Tatooine. Not only does it have a lot of great info on how dueling-centered this set is going to be it also showcases 12, count 'em, 12 new cards including the new Obi-Wan Kenobi, Padawan Learner card (the first Obi not to be a Jedi!). Man what I wouldn't give to have 10 copies of each of these new cards. So go check it out right now! It'll blow your mind!!!

Spud

4. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    This has always struck me as odd as well.

Hehe, we should have a SA forum.

5. Spud The Hutt

Spud The Hutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 1999
    SA??? NEED MORE INPUT.

6. Jedi Bib

Apr 16, 2000
    spoilers allowed. Like the episode II forums.

7. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    I guess we should start finding spoilers about the NEXT CCG expansion set.

Oh, wait, I dont want to be spoiled!!

Lets all agree
    to be spoiler free
    until we see
    the end of the CCG

8. Jedikynes

Jedikynes Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 15, 2001
    Yea Right as if that's gonna happen.

9. Jedi Bib

Apr 16, 2000
    At least 84 doesn't mkae us have to highlight the text to read it.

10. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    Get ready for Theed Palace Spoilers!!! :D

11. Ocelot_X

Ocelot_X Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2001
    Is Theed seriously gonna be coming out this year? I suppose that I can understand D's frenetic pace this year since they might be losing the license (let's not get into a debate over whether they did or didn't, there's enough of that on the listserv). But really, 3 regular sets and 2 Reflections sets in one year? If they do keep the license, I sure hope they slow down for a bit and let some of us who haven't had thousands to spend on SWCCG this year catch up. And even if they do lose the license, I hope they still sell the old stuff for at least a little while afterwards. I haven't really kept up with buying SWCCG since Special Edition, and while some of the new cards make me want to play again, I just don't have the money to get the ones I want to play with. I tried switching to Jedi Knights, hoping I'd be able to start fresh and keep up with it, but JK turned out to be even worse than SWCCG in terms of keeping up! A full set every two months, and on top of that, most of the rare cards you play with require you to use 3-5 of them, given the "everything goes away in a turn or two" mechanic in JK. While in SWCCG you might be able to keep Jedi Luke in play for most of the game with only one or two copies, you need four or five copies of your rare Hero to make any competitive JK deck. It's all just too much money, and before I come close to having everything I need from a set, the next one is already upon us (and often introduces new cards and play mechanics that render everything I was trying for before obsolete). It's all just too much for me to keep up with.

If Decipher DOES lose their license, I think they should try to negotiate with Lucasfilm to be allowed to put out one last product for each of their SW games. Remember how there was a discussion before about whether or not D should make an online SWCCG, and what form it should take? The best way seemed to be a packaged game sold in software stores, which allowed players unlimited quantities of every card for their deckbuilding, but such a product seemed to result in loss of sales on the actual cards no matter how you looked at it. But if they've stopped putting out the cards altogether, they wouldn't have anything to lose by putting out such products for Star Wars CCG, Young Jedi, and Jedi Knights. And it would make a great final gesture of appreciation to the players (who've been routinely and consistently conned and exploited by Decipher lo these past 6 years... j/k ;) ). Putting out this product at the end of the games' lifespan would also make it easier to even write such a program, since you wouldn't have to try to plan ahead for unforseen future play mechanics. As an experienced programmer, I can say with almost absolute certainty that if Decipher had made such a program in the early days of SWCCG, it would never have been able to accomodate the play mechanics introduced this year without being reworked almost from scratch.

12. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    Love the idea of the computer game. It would finally allow me to make the decks I really want (ProfitWhirl scouts and a better YMSYL)

13. Ocelot_X

Sep 16, 2001
    You know what? Forget Decipher. I don't need them to sell me a computerized SWCCG. I'll make the damn thing myself. The only thing that ever stopped me before was what I was saying about adapting the program to future gameplay mechanics, but if the games are dying... Heck, I can even make my own cards! I'll just have make sure I burn CDs with every card image and ruling before Decipher pulls down SW material from their site.

This has gotten me thinking about the end of the game, though. Decipher's trend with the game has always been, it seems, to make the new decktype introduced in each set dominant, and then tone it down in the following set or two (or beef up weak decktypes), until it's roughly on par with past decktypes. But what of the last set? If it is indeed Theed Palace, will Handmaidens and Battle Droids, or whatever decks get introduced by that set, remain broken for good, with no future products to tone them down? Or will Decipher try to keep them balanced from the get-go? I hope for the latter, since it would be nice if when all is said and done, the game is left in near-perfect balance. But before that can happen, we'll need a Dantooine Base Ops helper. ;)

14. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    If you make it yourself, could you E-mail it to me?

15. Ocelot_X

Sep 16, 2001
    If I ever make it, I'll put it online and post a link here. But if Decipher does keep the license, I won't be able to do it.

16. MoronDude

Nov 1, 2000
    MoronDude:
    "Lets all agree
    to be spoiler free
    until we see
    the end of the CCG
    "

Jedikynes:
    "Yea Right as if that's gonna happen."

How foolish we were.... or still am in my case.

17. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    Well, technially you were right. The CCG hasn't ended--just its production. This is nothing more than a mid-life crisis. We'll adapt (now I sound like a Borg) ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.